emulsified oil on filler cap

jordychris

Reaction score
Checked oil today needed top up took off filler cap and it was covered in a white/green slime what can cause this on a 56 plate 2.0 tfsi with 6500 miles on the clock the car was serviced in dec with 5000 miles on

seems to be fairly normal, plenty of us had the same. My car was serviced 2000 miles ago and I still see traces of it after a short journey. Some say if you take it out for a good rag it clears it, but mine seems pretty consistent

So nothing to worry about do you keep a check on it and clean the cap every month or so. I only drive approx 12 miles per day is short journeys the cause

Short runs were the engine doesn't warm up properly are the probable cause, give the car a good hard run, as mentioned and it should get rid of the problem.

Mark

As the posts above if you do allot of short journeys you get condensation in the cylinder head because the engine doesnt get to a high enough temperature to burn this condensation off and it collects as emulsified oil in the cap.
In the worst case it can potentially be a failed head gasket...but you would see emulsified oil in the sump..so check your dip stick, check coolant levels and if all is OK then just take it out for a good old blast. Also just make sure you service the car regularily and change the oil in-between services if neccessary.

Cheers,

Cleaned oil cap and went on a 30 mile blast along the A68.On returning left car to cool then checked again only small amount of deposits on the cap so hopefully just condensation , will have to get out and give a good blast once a week to keep it clean. thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong but surely if there is condensation on the inside of an engine then there must be water in the engine!

My mate picked up a brand new golf gti and had water in the engine. I don't know how it got there or how he knew but I know it was sorted under warranty.