Badger5AH Fabrications
    S3 (8P)

Status

Remap, Long termers?

Ok, so the 8P S3 has been around 18month now, whats the feedback on long term remaps? ie whos done a lot of miles post remap? weak points?dealer experiences? reliability?
    How does this car stand up with 310ish bhp?

Ive had good experiences with the 18T remaps and bad with the 20T FSI remaps but in reality its a relatively small increase in bhp percentage wise compared to the 18T and 200PS 20T remaps so with the toughened internals and bigger turbo it would be fair to say its not a prob?
    Im looking for some reassurance before I go `Porsche power` after blowing the budget on my first S3.

Cheers guys
    Paul

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    Er cant really help much, had mine just over 3 weeks, 1450 miles, and got it mapped today - what a difference - just staggering......
    www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk VW California hire and sales

S3 (8P)

Status
    Bought mine 4 months old and 4K miles, and itching for a remap....help... smarting a bit on mpg but craving for the `thump` I got when I REVOd my MK5 Golf.....

6th Gear

Status
    I've been revo'd 5 months now, no problems to report.

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli.H View Post
    Er cant really help much, had mine just over 3 weeks, 1450 miles, and got it mapped today - what a difference - just staggering......
    Who did you go with Oli?

p

3rd Gear

Status
    Oettinger

On Boost

Status
    Oettinger
    Nice....did you get a before and after run?

p

S3 (8P)

Status
    How much is an Oettinger map?

On Boost

Status
    I think there more expensive than the other tuners remaps apart from MTM.

They are owned and share the same software as APR ( correct me if i'm wrong Oli )

p

1st Gear

Status
    Oettinger is 305hp for the S3

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane1967 View Post
    Oettinger is 305hp for the S3
    Thats right.

Im really pleased with it, really smooth and linear all the way to the redline, and a lot more powerful than before. Oettinger are one of the oldest Audi/VW tuners around, so seemed a safe bet to go with. The car is just so much faster than compared with standard, 100mph seems to come up in no time (on a private test track of course) - It also seems so much faster than my previous car, a re-mapped 335D, putting out approx 350BHP - But this could be the way the power comes in with the S3, swelling from 2500-3000rpm, whereas the twin turbo BMW has no lag whatsoever.

The extra torque seems to weight the steering up nicely as well, making it a bit more responsive, and seems to have lost a lot of the dead area around centre - maybe its just me though - who knows? Im enjoying it though
    Last edited by Oli.; 19th April 2008 at 17:15.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post

They are owned and share the same software as APR ( correct me if i'm wrong Oli )

p
    They are a seperate company to APR and their maps are different as well. They do share the same flashing tool though, which is where the mix up might be
    Last edited by Oli.; 19th April 2008 at 17:21.

Turbo is the only way....

Status
    I have had my MTM for about 3 months now. not long enough to give any long term comments but the DSG seems to be working just fine for now. I drive pretty hard daily and no problems what so ever. My local MTM dealer had customers with MTM remaps and DSG for over 18 months and no problems what so ever...

However, heard that MTM goes up to 1.5 Bars and its bad for the Turbo for the long term (never verified this my self as I dont have a boost guage) Might change to Revo after a K04 upgrade!!
    A3 2.0T Sportback DSG.

Engine / Trans:
    K04, Unitronic Stg II+ & DSG Stg II, S3 Injectors and Intercooler, APR F/Pump. BSH Intake, Forge DV, Oettinger Turbo Outlet, Eurojet throttle pipe, Milltek TBE. SP Meth Injection.

Brakes and Suspension:
    Brembo 6 pot w/ 345mm slotted disks, TT front suspension, HPA Coliovers, OZ Palladio, 225/40/18 BS RE001

Others:
    S3 Front, Pedals, & Mirrors, 09 SB Skirts & LED Rear Lights, Original HID retrofit, Oettinger Roof Spoiler. Defi Turbo Guage, FBMFSW

6th Gear

Status
    They are a seperate company to APR and their maps are different as well. They do share the same flashing tool though, which is where the mix up might be
    Somebody needs to tell Ade at Awesome this then as he often states they share mapping technology since the merge/buy out and the only difference is price with one being more expensive due to brand awareness. They both also share the same Cruise control switchable technology ?!?

Anyway its irrelevant now as the money has been paid and the most important thing is you are happy, I've only heard good things about 'both' APR and Oettinger so good choice.

The S3 really is a totally different car mapped and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering this upgrade.

Spin
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

L60N
    So which tuners have the flash unit thing where the paranoid ones among us can put it to stock for dealer visits etc?

I know Bluefin do which is a generic map for around 499 with the flasher. Any others?

On Boost

Status
    Revo have a select plus switch =SPS
    GIAC have the switch loader

p

L60N
    Are we still in 500 territory all in or?

On Boost

Status
    For the map + 100 for the SPS/switch loader.

p

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Spin140 View Post

The S3 really is a totally different car mapped and I would highly recommend it to anyone considering this upgrade.

Spin
    That is so true. Down a nice set of twisty's a mapped S3 will keep up and beat the best of them Im sure

?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    So which tuners have the flash unit thing where the paranoid ones among us can put it to stock for dealer visits etc?

I know Bluefin do which is a generic map for around 499 with the flasher. Any others?
    As I understand it all the flashloaders other than Bluefin put it back to a performance map with stock power rather than the actual stock map
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek