Speedo needle bulb gone!

Matt

Reaction score
DSC00515.JPG

Anyone had that before? The cars only 7 months old! Hoping its going to be an easy job to sort....? But surely it should of lasted for years :confused:

At a guess it will need a new instrument panel. Having looked at the parts catalogue there are no replacement parts listed for the panel.

It is quite easy for the dealer to remove and replace. No need for dismantling of the dash. They will just remove the steering wheel, remove the cover on the top of the steering column which exposes two bolts. Remove these bolts and undo a large terminal unit and out comes the panel.

jeees, that would be expensive if it was out of warranty

I had the clocks changed on my old 8L S3 under warranty. I did ask about the cost of the parts and was told around £500. Bit steep for a new bulb!

****** hell fire, that's unbelievable!!

If that'd happened to me outisde of warranty, I'd be inclined to at least try taking apart - one screwdriver, small hammer and a soldering iron, easy :)

Just hope they dont cause any damage to the dash while dismantling or could turn into a big job. I went over a bump at speed today and it flickered on and off briefly.

Will call in on Monday and see when they can do it! I'll keep you updated on the outcome

I went over a bump at speed today and it flickered on and off briefly.

Sounds like a loose connection to me. Also, I don't think old fashioned bulbs are used in the dash anywhere (apart from the light in the glovebox). I's all LEDs and a LED should live forever. If it is under warranty, by all means, let them exchange the whole instrument cluster if they want to. If it wasn't a warranty job, I'd take the thing apart myself to check for a loose connection or replace the LED (which should cost no more than 20p!)

Its going in on Saturday morning and they are going to have a look while I wait. Loose connection seems the most likely

It hasn't worked since last Friday but I was driving along last night and noticed its back on again. Still going in tomorrow morning as it must have a dodgy connection so want it checking over.

Its sorted. One of the pins wasn't connected properly which is why it was sometimes on and sometimes off.

Doh! Its gone off again. They are ordering a new instrument panel in for it. Presuming the mileage is stored on the cars ECU, not the instrument panel

Doh! Its gone off again. They are ordering a new instrument panel in for it. Presuming the mileage is stored on the cars ECU, not the instrument panel

You can reset the new instrument panel to match your current mileage.

I sure hope mine goes out before the warranty expires if it decides to. White DIS looks yummy.