JMB RetrofitsChris Nott

Thread: Unkown Buttons

Reverse Gear

Status

Unkown Buttons

My seem a little stupid but after searching all over the internet and having no luck can anyone inform me of what these buttons do, its a 2.0ltr FSI Sport..

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    ADS

Lord of War

Status
    not sure about the first one, but the second is to disable the tilt and perimetric internal sensors on the alarm.

jamiekip
    First image is the button to direct air through the vents. the button above (arrow pointing up) directs air out on to the wind screen, and the button below (arrow pointing down) directs air to the footwell.

Do you not have an Owner's Manual. The buttons on the end of the door are related to the alarm system.

The top button deactivates the interior ultrasonic monitoring.

The lower button deactivates the tow-away protection
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

windsurfer

Status
    owners manual! Give it a read it is there and quite clearly...
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

owners manual! Give it a read it is there and quite clearly...
    Yes it's full of very useful information. How does anyone buy a 20k+ product and not both to read the instructions!!

Personally I always get the dealer to let me have the manual several days or even weeks before I collect my car to see what's changed since my existing one. Perhaps that's why I know quite a lot about the A3.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

windsurfer

Status
    I agree... The first thing I do when collectiung a new car is driving it home and go and read the IM... sometimes, especially on a new brand even the simple act of accessing the fuel tank can be different...

People can't be bothered but there are little details that they might never discover if they don't read the IM... for instance, closing or opening the windows with the remote control... etc

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

Reverse Gear

Status
    Or maybe we cant all afford to buy cars brand new, therefore sometimes cars dont come with the owners manual. Hence the reason I posted onto the site

windsurfer

Status
    don't take it personally... But sometimes some posts are from people that can't be bothered...

Anyway it does not matter if car is new or used (I also buy used cars) the IM should be supplied like the service book...

Pedro

3rd Gear

Status
    Pah! Reading the manual takes all the fun out of finding new things your car can do months (or even years!) down the line!

Or maybe we cant all afford to buy cars brand new, therefore sometimes cars dont come with the owners manual. Hence the reason I posted onto the site
    In that case it would have been better to say that you had bought a used car and there was no manual with it. Everyone on the forum is quite happy to help but sometimes some members just cannot be bothered to look simply things up for themselves.
    Dave R (h5djr)

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    My car allegedly has an alarm but I checked and these buttons aren't on the door. I'm confused. Does that mean there is no alarm. Can't get it to go off for the life of me.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

Is yours a UK spec car. The buttons are part of the Anti-theft alarm system which is fitted as standard to all UK supplied cars but not necessarily to other specifications.
    Dave R (h5djr)

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    It was bought in Turkey but it had an alarm listed on the spec sheet.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

windsurfer

Status
    it might have an alarm just not the buttons to disable some features of the alarm... Have you checked passenger door as well?

I don't know what spec is my car... I mean I ordered it LHD but I had to change the Xenons to pass SVA (if it was UK spec LDH that had been sorted in factory I would assume)

He is going to be VAG COM on the Xenons, my Audi garage did change the headlights but not the software so my Xenons are set really low... but point the right direction when in UK...lolol

Dave, next month or so when I take my car to London I will bother you a little bit about that if you don't mind... I can always take a couple bottles of Port with me...

Pedro

Boydie
    jack the car up when it is locked and see if the alarm goes off

or when you are drying the car or when ever the car is locked - pat the roof quite firmly and see if the alarm goes off

easy tests to find out

or...........smash your window :P

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bamurphy View Post
    Nice attitude,

I can see how a button marked with an airvent symbol, amongst a bunch of other buttons related to air con, below a button that says up and above one that says down can be misunderstood

did you actually try pressing the button?

Neutral

Status
    maybe he was scared his car would blow up, i have a tendancy just to try the thing to see what happens

this doesnt always have a good effect tho.

My BM is fixed!

Status
    How welcoming you all are, the guy only has 5 posts and you're being a bit harsh, if you can't be bothered to answer in a sensible way to a newbie then keep your trap shut. Jesus, some people.

Welcome over here buddy, don't be put off by some people's sarcasm.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

Reverse Gear

Status
    Cheers to Eeef and Jamiekip for the answers. And A4Quattro.

In reply to everyone else, take a minute and try searching and finding an answer for what ive asked. I thought forums were ment to help out other owners, clearly from what ive seen the majority are as helpful and hilarious as a wet fart in a plastic bag

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    I can see how a button marked with an airvent symbol, amongst a bunch of other buttons related to air con, below a button that says up and above one that says down can be misunderstood

may I suggest to the OP spending 15 on an owners manual might be a good investment

In reply to everyone else, take a minute and try searching and finding an answer for what ive asked. I thought forums were ment to help out other owners, clearly from what ive seen the majority are as helpful and hilarious as a wet fart in a plastic bag
    I think the main problem, as I said in my earlier reply, is that you did not say in your first post that you had purchased a used A3 that did not have an Owner's Manual. There are quite a few lazy people who would rather ask a question on this forum than take the trouble to look in their manual.

Had we have known the situation I'm sure everyone would have been a little more helpful.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    It was bought in Turkey but it had an alarm listed on the spec sheet.
    You might find that your dealer pulled a fast one and didn't order the car from Audi with a factory alarm and then bought a cheaper one and charged you the full price.

I know one or two dealers over here who do the same thing. A factory alarm might be 500 euro, but they can get an alarm company to call to the garage and fit one for 100-150 euro and pocket the difference.

You should check the inside of your user manual and check all the options that are listed. There's a web page somewhere where you can enter the three character codes and it will tell you what they are. If you don't have the alarm on it then you don't have the factory one.

According to the list I've got these are the option codes relating to the alarms fitted.

7AA - electronic vehicle immobilization device
    7AB - electronic alarm system with vehicle immobilization device (for RoW)
    7AC - anti-theft alarm system, electronic with vehicle immobilization device (for Switzerland)
    7AD - anti-theft alarm system and passenger compartment control
    7AE - anti-theft protection system for Switzerland, three-way immobilization device and alarm system
    7AF - anti-theft alarm system and passenger compartment control
    7AG - electronic alarm system with vehicle immobilization device (for USA)
    7AH - electronic vehicle immobilization devicewith alarm system, passenger compartmentcontrol and backup horn
    7AJ - electronic vehicle immobilization devicewith alarm system and backup horn
    7AK - anti-theft alarm system, passenger compartment control a. towing protection
    7AL - anti-theft alarm system, passenger compartment control, backup horn and towing protection
    7AM - electronic vehicle immobilization devicewith alarm system, passenger compartmentcontrol and backup horn
    7AN - anti-theft alarm system, backup horn andtowing protection
    7AP - electronic vehicle immobilization devicew/ alarm syst., passenger comp. control,backup horn and all door opening

Having said that, none of these codes appear in the option codes list for my particular vehicle.

It may be that it's cover by the code XB2 - National Sales Program Great Britain.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    I will consult the manual, if I need to.
    Reading it for' fun' though?
    Yeah, right...
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    The first button is to activate the ejector seat and the second is to arm the missiles.
    I can't say i've actually ever read my manual. Most features on the car are pretty self explanatory.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan View Post
    You might find that your dealer pulled a fast one and didn't order the car from Audi with a factory alarm and then bought a cheaper one and charged you the full price.

I know one or two dealers over here who do the same thing. A factory alarm might be 500 euro, but they can get an alarm company to call to the garage and fit one for 100-150 euro and pocket the difference.

You should check the inside of your user manual and check all the options that are listed. There's a web page somewhere where you can enter the three character codes and it will tell you what they are. If you don't have the alarm on it then you don't have the factory one.
    Where do I find the three character codes mate? Any idea of the website link?

This sounds VERY useful.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    Where do I find the three character codes mate? Any idea of the website link?

This sounds VERY useful.

the codes should be on the inside page of your service book. they should also be taped to your spare wheel or in the spare wheel hole.

(This is a picture I pilfered from the web - not my own! Looks to be an A6 2.5TDI)

You can then decode them by entering them in the box on this page.

Using Dave R's list above showing the various 7Ax combinations, none are listed, indicating that this car does not have an alarm.

For those of you who are interested, the complete listing of the options for the above image are:
    E0A = No special edition
    1KD = Disc brakes, rear
    3FA = Without roof insert (standard roof)
    F0A = No special purpose vehicle, standard equipment
    T5T = 6-cylinder diesel engine 2.5 L unit 059.B
    2PV = Leather trimmed sports steering wheel
    7Q2 = Navigation system with color screen
    3PF = Electric height adjustment for both front seats
    1SA = Without additional engine guard
    J1G = Battery 450 A (92 Ah)
    0L2 = Electric throttle actuation
    3NZ = Rear seat bench unsplit, backrest split folding
    3HA = Without leather parts scope
    CA8 = Alloy wheels 7J x 16 double-spoke style, offset 45
    4UE = Air bag for driver and front seat passenger
    1LT = Disc brakes, front
    8GL = Alternator 120 A
    8JQ = Twin headlight for driving on the right,with integrated high beam
    8G2 = Antenna cable for radio system RG 58
    7K0 = Without tire pressure warning light
    4KC = Side and rear windows in heat-insulatingglass
    6XD = Exterior mirrors: electrically adjustable/heated
    5ME = Vavona wood insert "amber", high-gloss
    0G7 = Tiptronic
    U2B = Instrument insert with km/h speedometer,radio-controlled clock, tachometer, tripodometer and additional instruments
    9Q2 = Multi-function display/on-board computerwith check control
    4X1 = Side air bag front
    3Y5 = Electrically operated roll-up sun screenfor rear window and mechanically operated for side windows
    G1A = 6-speed automatic transmission
    1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
    7X0 = Without park distance control
    0YC = Weight range 3 installation control only, no requirement forecast
    X0A = National sales program Germany
    8Z5 = Not hot country
    VJ1 = Reinforced bumpers
    4K4 = Radio remote controlled central locking
    1BE = Sports suspension/shock absorption
    0JK = Weight category front axle weight range 10
    1N3 = Speed-related variable steering assist (Servotronic)
    MR1 = 6-cyl. diesel engine 2.5 L/132 kW 24V TDI with fuel distributor injection pumpbase engine is T1K/T5T
    6R0 = Selector lever cover
    5D1 = Carrier frequency 433.92 MHz-434.42 Mhz
    4GH = Windshield in heat-insulating glass with sunshield

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    A huge thanks for that mate. You are a star.

Using Dave R's list above showing the various 7Ax combinations, none are listed, indicating that this car does not have an alarm.
    Unfortuately that statement may not be true. My own UK spec Sportback does not have any of the 7Ax codes listed in the options but it does have an alarm fiited and the two alarm modifiaction buttons in the drivers door.

So if there was a 7Ax codes it would probably indicate that there was an alarm fitted but the absence of a codes does not seem to indicate that no alarm is fitted.

All rather strange!
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    I suspect Dave, that you are correct in your assumption that the XB2 code covers the alarm since the alarm is standard in the UK.

Since GlasgowRangers' car has an alarm, but no buttons on the side of the door it is probably fair to assume that it is not the factory alarm.

The best way to verify this is to enter all the codes into the web page and see what comes back.

If it does not list an alarm (7Ax -> x=A-F) and there is no mention of X2F "National Sales Program Turkey" then he has probably been done!

You can get the full listing of what each code corresponds to, including the listing of all National Sales Program codes, here.

I current have two lists of codes in an Excel spreadsheet. One list covers 4700 alpha codes (starting with A-Z) and the second with 4764 numeric codes (starting 0-9). Cannot remember where I got them from but they do come in useful sometimes.
    Dave R (h5djr)

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcQuinlivan View Post
    I suspect Dave, that you are correct in your assumption that the XB2 code covers the alarm since the alarm is standard in the UK.

Since GlasgowRangers' car has an alarm, but no buttons on the side of the door it is probably fair to assume that it is not the factory alarm.

The best way to verify this is to enter all the codes into the web page and see what comes back.

If it does not list an alarm (7Ax -> x=A-F) and there is no mention of X2F "National Sales Program Turkey" then he has probably been done!

You can get the full listing of what each code corresponds to, including the listing of all National Sales Program codes, here.
    Marc. I checked all of the codes and an alarm didn't show up under any of them. I do however have National Sales Program Turkey. What does that mean? Cheers mate.

***** rent boy

Status
    I do however have National Sales Program Turkey. What does that mean? Cheers mate.
    It doesn't mean a lot really, just that it'd made for the Turkish market and will be specced as such.

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I think that somebody has taken the **** somewhere along the line because I've just came back upstairs after trying to get the alarm to trigger and no joy again. The spec sheet clearly lists an alarm though. I'm confused. I wonder if spec for the Turkish market automatically includes an alarm. You would think it would though for a car of this type. It's hardly a ****ing Lada.

It doesn't mean a lot really, just that it'd made for the Turkish market and will be specced as such.
    For the UK Market for example it's whatever specification Audi UK have decided with Audi AG that they will import into the UK. Air-conditioning is a classic example. It's standard on almost all models for the UK but it is an optional extra for models made for Germany. Audi UK always have a much higher basic spec than most other European countries and a higher price accordingly because it's what they think they will be able to sell best into the UK market. I'm not certain but I think it only UK models that get the full Thactham Code 1 alarm system.
    Dave R (h5djr)

6th Gear

Status
    You should perhaps check with your dealer to see what the "National Sales Program Turkey" includes. It will be a bunch of extras that are fitted as standard for the Turkish market. As Dave R said, the alarm is standard fit in the UK, so is not listed. Don't mention the alarm to them until they tell you what is on the list.

I still think that you may have been screwed though, because you don't have the two buttons inside the door which would indicate that your alarm is not factory fit.

In Ireland the alarm is not standard, so I purchased my own Canbus compatible alarm unit, gave it to the dealer and they got their alarm dude to fit it for me FOC. I got the alarm from my own supplier for about 75 euro (discounted) compared to the 400-ish euro audi wanted for "factory" job.

On the day I collected the car the alarm dude was just finishing the install as I arrived. He then proceeded to do a couple more cars. I assume the garage were getting them fitted as "factory ordered".

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Thanks Marc. You've been really helpful. I'll probably just end up taking the route you took.