WING MIRROR INVESTIGATION

EAGLE79

Reaction score
Right 'o' Gents,

Here's a little brain teaser for ya.

Having recently purchased my White S3 and lovin it i was going to swap the Silver (everyone's got em) wing mirrors for the black one's off my old motor. This would look the nuts with the black optics pack.

Spoke to audi who inform me this is not possible as the S3 mirror housings are bigger than the standard mirror casings on a S-Line A3......

So this begs the question.... Are all the people on here that say 'I have genuine S3 mirrors on my motor' being stitched up as apparently they are different sizes and don't fit!

Going to check myself tonight when i arrive home but it has got my old grey matter working due to the amount of people that have swapped standard housings for the S3 style ones.....

Any views, logic to this issue as i really want to swap them.

Cheers

S3 mirrors to the best of my knowledge are a direct fit for standard A3 mirrors.... Pretty much every component between the 2 in interchangeable. The cars are technically the same but obviously the S3 has more sports orientated styling. I think it's another case of a dealer not having a scooby what they're talking about...

As far as I can see there are no different door mirrors specifically for the S3 listed in the parts catalogue.

I'd agree with Mitch. Don't think Audi has changed its wing mirror size for the whole of the range for a long time. Probably the dealership contact is ill informed. So i would reckon it will fit.

Don't you find that there are very few salesmen or titled representitives that actually truely know about such issues when you enquire? Actually salesmen are the worst. They sell cars but rarely know about all of the product all of the time and specially if you want to change something from spec.They are enthusiastic to sell cars but not car enthusiasts.

I've had you can't fit 18" RS4 alloys to an S3 and you can't retrofit the overhead ambient light pack. Both of these are entirely untrue. I just ignore them now if they start waffling.

Cheers guys,

I was thinking this was the case and i had roughly lined them up and thought they looked the same size and was shocked when they said this.

I'll probably go back to Awesome GTi who swapped my last mirror housings for me.

It would also be uneconomical for Audi to manufacture 2 sizes of mirrors.