Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics

Afternoon All,

I need 2 new front tyres in a week or 2, and after reading various reviews and threads on here, am probably going to go with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics.

Just wondered if anyone who has been running them for a while was pleased with them? I'm not so bothered by mileage (which is a good job, as the standard conti's have only lasted 9k miles). Also, what price (fitted) did you pay?

Cheers
    2007 Silver S3 - DVD SatNav, MFBSW, Bose, GSM Bluetooth Phone prep, privacy glass, cruise control, lighting and rain sensor pack, piano inlays, GIAC Hammer map

2. # ADS
    ADS

Third Gear

Status
    Good choice matey, only had mine on for a few hundred miles and am very pleased, great levels of grip. Still got the conti's on the back which makes for a little oversteer when pushed hard, obviously not sure about how long they last yet, but would not imagine they will last as long as the cont's as I think they are softer.
    I paid 214 for two fitted and balanced from Tyrewise in kirkby nr LIverpool.

Mark
    07 S3 Sprint Blue Now Sold
    12 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Now sold
    A3 20 TDI S-Line Sportback in Daytona Grey with Aluminium Roof Rails, Fine Nappa Leather, Sat Nav, Comfort pack,Audi Sound System, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Interior Light Pack, Non Smoke Pack.

Goodie Gum Drops

Status
    Had a set of 4 on my 8L for the last 8k and there still gong strong, very grippy even in the wet, good choice
    Black S3

6th Gear

Status
    I'm due for a set too so will be watching this thread. I'll post back with the best prices I come up with.

Jas.

Status
    Haven't got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics but i just bought Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's 225/40/18 for 344 delivered. (Still need fit cost to add on).

Got them from fleabay and delivered in 48 hrs. They are actually from valuetyres but they are also selling via fleabay. No issues and excellent tyres.
    S3 57 Dolphin Grey.
    MFFBSW,GSM,Cruise,Symphony 6,Bose,
    I-Pod,Rain n Light Pack,Front Arm Rest,Black Optik Grille,BBS Calito'S.

06 A3 2.0T Q S-Line Sportback Spec Ed. Sold
    05 TT Quattro Sport (240 bhp). Sold
    04 A4 1.8T S-Line (190bhp). Sold

Neutral

Status

Smile

Hi,

I too had the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's only Subaru Impreza Turbo - best tyres I ever fitted ! Amazing grip in the wet ! stunning !
    From what I can remember they can take a few hundred miles to get real grippy - seem a bit naff when first fitted.

Would go all 4 if you are going to be pusing the car hard tho as mixed can produce some un-welcome handling (unless you like it like that !). I put 2 F1's on the front and had conti's on the rear - girlfriend spun it 180 on an island ! told her she should have left the loud pedal down and spun it 360 and carried on ! would have looked much more cool !

Just my 2p worth.
    2007 Lava grey, A3, 2.0 140 TDI, Sportsback, S-Line, Cruise Control (Retro Fit)

Neutral

Status
    Just had a pair of 225/45/17 Eagle Asymmetrics fitted to the back of my Sportback. Cost me 83.00 each including VAT & delivery from Camskills online

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b772s16p0

Had the Asymmetrics that were on the rear shifted to the front. They have done about 7k, and are just under half worn.

Camskill delivered less than 48 hours after I ordered, and my local ATS fitted them for 20.00
    Last edited by Neil C; 10th April 2008 at 20:32. Reason: Additional info
    2004 (54) A3 Sportback TDi Sport Liquid Blue

On Boost

Status
    Has anybody got a link to the tyre test everybodys talking about? why are they so well liked? best tyre full stop , or best value for money tyre?

Ive got Michelin pilot sports on the rear and there stunning , the price is not tho!

p

Full speed ahead

Status
    Got them fitted to my 19s - superb tyres, much better than the Contis. Quieter, more grip, better steering feel. They came top in the EVO tyre test which swayed me....
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

___

Status
    The best dry tyres I ve ever had were a set of Yokohamas, but very scary in the wet and lasted about 6 months ...

However,
    I ve currently got GSD3's on my A3 and love them (9k in and I expect to see another 2-3k) - much better than the Michelins and Contis I ve had in the past. Excellent in the dry and safe in the wet. Paid 320 for 4 at my local backstreet.

5th Gear

Status
    Just had a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric fitted to the front of mine. Are the Eagle F1 Asymmetric better than the Goodyear F1 GSD's ??

Only done 5 miles on them so to soon to comment.
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

3rd Gear

Status
    Ive had them on my 19's from new and they are very impressive, lots of grip and low noise - seem to be wearing OK as well
    www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk VW California hire and sales

Neutral

Status
    Had a pair fitted about 6 weeks ago - not sure whether Asymmetric are better than GSD's as I've never used GSD's, but the Asymmetrics seem to offer plenty of grip and are wearing well (although I haven't really checked TBH)
    2007 Silver S3 - DVD SatNav, MFBSW, Bose, GSM Bluetooth Phone prep, privacy glass, cruise control, lighting and rain sensor pack, piano inlays, GIAC Hammer map

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    Has anybody got a link to the tyre test everybodys talking about? why are they so well liked? best tyre full stop , or best value for money tyre?

Ive got Michelin pilot sports on the rear and there stunning , the price is not tho!

p
    http://audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.ph...4&postcount=21
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    I've had the Eagle F1 GSD's on a 1.8T Sport,loved 'em,so put some on my 2.0 FSI (both A3's) I'd get between 25-30K out of them.

My brother's shredded pretty much every tyre he's had (on a Saxo!)...Conti's,Pilot sports,Pirellis,some just after 7K,so a local dealer suggested BF Goodrich G-Force pofiler,still looking good after 18k.
    I got some myself,i really rate them! I've only done about 7k so far and they're like new.

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

2008 Phantom Black S3

Status
    I got 3 Goodyear F1's (not four due to puncture in the other tyre a few months ago) fitted for 330quid. Pretty grippy tyres i have to say - cant really tell the diff between them and the Continentals i was running before!!

Neutral

Status
    4 fitted for 400. Had them for a month or so now and can't fault them! Very grippy rain or shine!

(225/45/17)
    Audi A3 54 reg 2.0TDI Sport in Mauritius Blue!

?

Status
    Got 4 x 225/40/18s fitted yesterday for 388 at Martin's Tyes is Bisley Surrey
    Phantom Black B7 S4 + Milltek

Neutral

Status
    That is a good price, thought I was doing well, got 4 fitted yesterday (225x40x18) for 412 !
    2007 Lava grey, A3, 2.0 140 TDI, Sportsback, S-Line, Cruise Control (Retro Fit)

5th Gear

Status
    How many miles are people getting out of the Asymmetrics? My fronts have only done 7000miles and there down to 2mm tread, my A3 is a mapped 2.0 2-wheel drive derv.
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

R8GGA

Status
    Did no-one else here get Bridgestone Potenza tyres on their car from the factory? I did, they've been awesome so far; still have a few mm tread left and i've done over 11k already!

I think i'll be replacing them like for like when the time comes. I remember Goodyear tyres being all right on my 3.2 but they did wear quickly. I've found the Potenzas just as good...
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

2nd Gear

Status
    got 4 GSD3 fitted to my 19" paid 600 and a bit more for the lazer alignment but amazing amount of grip... definetley rated!

revo stage2, Milltek TB non res, forge cai, forge dv, HnR springs,bbs ch black eddition, optics grill, LaminX, lcr splitter.....
    soon to come....gloss balck front and rear valance, side mirrors, RS4 brakes, revo stage 2+, fuel pump......

1st Gear

Status
    I've had the Asymettric ones on the front for about 2k miles, they seem to have loads of grip - seem a lot better than the Continental Sport Contact 2 I had but then I can't remember how grippy they were before they were bald!

From what I've read most people say the conti's wear pretty quickly so hopefully they will last a bit longer than 9k.

As mentioned earlier having the Goodyear on the front does alter the balance of the car, I have Conti's with about 2-3mm on the back and the car will oversteer under power on wet roundabouts - it's very controllable but not expected as with the original tyres the back pretty much never did anything.

It's fun in the snow

3rd Gear

Status
    The Conti Sport Contact 2s I had on mine lasted 19k - now got Sport Contact 3s on the front, so will be interested to see how long they last.

I was going to go with the Asymmetrics next time, but if you've only done 7k and they're worn already Matt, might have to stick with Contis or look elsewhere.
    Jon

Now A3 less......

1st Gear

Status
    I am amazed at how many people run summer tyres already...
    A bit dangerous in the snow isn't it?

Tim

Sem
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mattandrew View Post
    How many miles are people getting out of the Asymmetrics? My fronts have only done 7000miles and there down to 2mm tread, my A3 is a mapped 2.0 2-wheel drive derv.
    I used to get 19k (fronts) with GSD3's on my tuned Golf PD150 (around 220bhp).
    I was planning on swapping the Conti's on the A3 for Asymetrics having been very impressed with GSD3's.
    Looks like I will have to re-consider if they only last 10k!
    2008 (58) Audi A3 2.0TDI S-Line
    Phantom Black, Xenons, RNS-E etc...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Doublemint1984 View Post
    I am amazed at how many people run summer tyres already...
    A bit dangerous in the snow isn't it?

Tim
    We get snow once every 6 or 7 years mate .... I'm not bothering with a special set of tyres just for that!

Chris

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus911 View Post
    Did no-one else here get Bridgestone Potenza tyres on their car from the factory? I did, they've been awesome so far; still have a few mm tread left and i've done over 11k already!

I think i'll be replacing them like for like when the time comes. I remember Goodyear tyres being all right on my 3.2 but they did wear quickly. I've found the Potenzas just as good...
    Hi...mine was fitted with these as stock.

I can see you like them,but I think these are truly horrible tyres.

Poor wet weather grip,especially cornering,and with very little warning when grip is about to be lost,as well as relatively poor lateral dry grip.

Last car I had was an A4 Avant with Michelin Sports and honestly,they were far superior,and before that on performance cars I used Toyo Proxes.

When these things are a little more used they're going in the bin,to be replaced by the Goodyears.

5th Gear

Status

Toyo Proxies either T1R or PX4

Looking at getting a set of 19inch rims and the two choices of tyres they come with are both Toyo either the T1R or PX4 does any one have them and what are your opinions on them?
    Previous
    S
    Ibis White - 2007

Current
    A5 Ibis White - 2007
    S3 Black - 2001

VCDS user

6th Gear

Status
    Can anyone comment on whether Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics are better/worse than F1 GSD3's? Anyone had both?

I've been a long-time fan of the GSD3's, and had numerous sets on my 8L S3 years ago, we have them on our Golf too, and now its time for new tyres on my 8P S3.

So I'm trying to decide, do I go for the new asymmetrics or the trusty old GSD3's.

Cheers

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

1st Gear

Status
    Ive had both GSD3's and currently got Asymmetrics on my (big RWD) FPV.

The Asymmetrics are better in the wet, but I dont believe its a huge difference, both are more than acceptable.

In absolute terms the asymmetrics are better, but if youre budget constrained then the GSD3's are still an excellent buy
    2007 RS4
    2000 S3 APR'd

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    hi saf what are your tire sizes im getting a se of 19s at the end of the month and not sure what tire size to get i want them low profile like yours any advice for me pal

Quote Originally Posted by S3 SAF View Post
    got 4 GSD3 fitted to my 19" paid 600 and a bit more for the lazer alignment but amazing amount of grip... definetley rated!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Hi...mine was fitted with these as stock.

I can see you like them,but I think these are truly horrible tyres.

Poor wet weather grip,especially cornering,and with very little warning when grip is about to be lost,as well as relatively poor lateral dry grip.

Last car I had was an A4 Avant with Michelin Sports and honestly,they were far superior,and before that on performance cars I used Toyo Proxes.

When these things are a little more used they're going in the bin,to be replaced by the Goodyears.

agree, while the potenzas have lasted 15.5k and theres still couple mm tread left on them when theyre gone they arent coming back, the lack of grip and scary snatch point where they just let go is not what i want.

After using Toyo T1-Rs on a couple of cars i found them to be just as good as Eagle F1 GSD3 but with a bit more tread stability and lasted 17k compared to getting 10K out of GSD3s, i found the GSD3s squirmed quite a bit which i put down to the tread pattern consisting of thin ribs of tread, this lessened as they wore which kind of backed my theory up too.

Had a focus ST which wore Eagle F1 Assyms and they were ok, had good grip and never gave me a problem even with 300BHP conversion fitted so they can handle a beating pretty well as that car got thraped, got rid of that car at 5k and the tyres looked like theyd just scrubbed off their coating.

2nd Gear

Status
    i have F1 Asysm's on back of Beemer

good tyres - done away with RFT's in favour of proper tyres.

so far i'm impressed and not bad at 90 each from Camskill
    2004 AUDI A3 S-LINE DSG TDi
    MAURITIUS BLUE
    2005 BMW 120d M Sport 163+
    BLACK SAPPHIRE

6th Gear

Status
    Thanks guys.

I've ordered the F1 Asymmetrics after digging out the EVO 2007 tyre test, and watching the autocar tyre test vid.

Cheers

AL
    '07 Phantom Black S3 - '07 to now - Bucket Seats, FBMFSW, BOSE, Symphony II+, Cruise Control, Elec Folding Mirrors, Front Centre Armrest, Rear Armrest & Through Load, Interior Light Pack, Luggage Pack, Reversible Boot Mat, Luggage net.
    '02 Silver S3 (225bhp) - '02 to '07
    '99 A3 1.8T - '99 to '02

'11 Rising Blue Golf R - '12 to now - 19" Black Talladega's
    '52 Black Golf GTi MkIV Anniversary - '03 to '12

Status
    Very good tyre, and all round best of the current crop. You won't be disappointed.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warrencox View Post
    Very good tyre, and all round best of the current crop. You won't be disappointed.
    ditto
    2004 AUDI A3 S-LINE DSG TDi
    MAURITIUS BLUE
    2005 BMW 120d M Sport 163+
    BLACK SAPPHIRE

1st Gear

Status
    Dunlop SP SPORT MAX 235/35/19 GOOD GOOD GOOD
    BSR - POWERFLEX - CATBACK