What is the difference between these models?

Floob

Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a site that lists the key differences between models?
I'm after a new A3 (diesel I think) but am unsure what the pro/cons are between these models.

2005 54 Reg AUDI A3 2.0 TDi Sport
2006 06 Reg AUDI A3 1.9 TDi SE
2005 05 Reg AUDI A3 1.9 TDi

I'm thinking of moving to diesel as the fuel economy of my 1.8T petrol isnt all that good.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Floob.

The 1.9 is a dog rough 8 valve engine, but economical.
The 2.0 is a better 16 valve engine, but uses around 10% more fuel than the 1.9.
That's a direct comparison, I went straight from a 1.9 to a 2.0.
TBH, I wouldn't even entertain the 1.9, unless economy is your absolute primary concern.
The rest is just trim and suspension difference.
Basically, the sport is...err...sportier, the SE is soft.

Thats great - thanks for your help.
Sounds like the 2.0 is the way to go.

I have a 1.8T petrol at the moment - do you think I'd notice a big difference in performance?

I was trying to work out the difference between MPG between the 1.8T petrol and 2.0 diesel here - but there are so many options!

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/search.asp

Thanks

Floob.

I owned 4 A3 1.8T Sports before I had my first ever diesel. This was my previous A3, a 2.0TDI-140. When I originally test drove the car it felt very similar to the 1.8T, just with better mpg.

I had a 1.8T Golf, I reckon the 2.0tdi would match it, performancewise.
150bhp for the Golf, 140bhp for the 2.0Tdi.
The 2.0tdi will put out a whack more torque than the 1.8T though.
I would take a stab that you would notice around a 20%-30% improvement in fuel economy.
You should get low 40 mpg easy enough in the 2.0tdi, more with a light foot.

Hi there,
Have just joined to find out exactly the same thing regarding these models. We are getting a diesel next car. I love the A3 2.0 TDi S-line but will be pushing it to get the 170bhp model. What are the differences between this and the 140 BHP model performance and handling wise? Can the 140 be chipped to 170 easily or is there more to it than that??

Many thanks,

Mike.

Certainly in 2003 there were no 170 TDI available, only 140s.

If you send me a PM with an email address I still have a copy of the August 2003 Price List for the A3 which gives details of all the models and options available at that time.

I think I also have most of the other lists as well - 18 in total. If you can narrow down the years you're interested in I can sent you some of those as well. It would be a rather large attachment to send them all but I can if you want.

Hi there,
Have just joined to find out exactly the same thing regarding these models. We are getting a diesel next car. I love the A3 2.0 TDi S-line but will be pushing it to get the 170bhp model. What are the differences between this and the 140 BHP model performance and handling wise? Can the 140 be chipped to 170 easily or is there more to it than that??

Many thanks,

Mike.

Well, I believe the 140 can easily be chipped to around 180bhp.
The 'bonus' is that the 140 isn't fitted with a DPF (diesel particulate filter).
The 170 is, and it has resulted in a lot of problems (lots of threads on here about 170 DPF problems).
So some would say a chipped 140 may be a better option than the a standard 170.
Then again, the 170 has a different injection system to the 140, so it is allegedly more refined.
Pay your money, make your choice.

BTW, AFAIK, no difference is chassis/suspension between 140 and 170, so handling differences should be none/negligible.

I would agree with bowfer, I don't think there have been many changes that would affect the handing between the 140 and the 170. Having owned one of each I would say the 170 is definitely more 'refined' and quieter than the 140 and personally I've had no problems at all with the DPF, but I know some members have.

If you send me a PM with an email address I still have a copy of the August 2003 Price List for the A3 which gives details of all the models and options available at that time.

As an alternative to sending the price lists by email, I can provide links to the price lists on my internet homepage if you prefer that method. Let me know.

Thanks for your help.
I was looking for diesel A3 models 2003-2008, but dont really want to pay more than about £12k.
I guess I'll see whats about on Auto Trader.

I was a bit wary going for diesel, worried about more noise - but I guess those days are long gone.

You'll probably be looking around a 2005 for that price based on a standard A3 2.0TDI-140 3-door. Quattro or S-line may be a little more.

Noise wise, a 2.0TDI may be a little noisier than the 1.8T at tick-over but I recently had a drive in a 1.8TFSI and a 2.0TFSI petrol and neither were any quieter at speed than my 170.

I've got a 1.9tdi and yes it can hardly be described as quiet! It quietens down a bit when warmed up and is quieter than my Fabia vRS was.
That had the six speed 1.9tdi 130 version of the same engine, and I keep going to put my A3 into sixth lol.. I do miss that on the motorway.

I've just had mine remapped (Custom Code) with a claimed 145bhp and 235lb/ft of torque and it really flies - I'm quite surprised how well it goes now, I really am.

Plus side is over 50mpg on the Mway with cruise set to about 80.

I've got a 1.9tdi and yes it can hardly be described as quiet!

I would say the 1.9TDI is the least quiet of the VAG range. The 2.0TDI-140 is better and the 2.0TDI-170 better still.

FWIW, the leasing company wanted £13k for us to buy my 2005 (05) 2.0tdi sportback S-line (DSG gearbox), with 36k miles on the clock.
I can't see a problem getting a similar car for £12k on the open market.
In fact, I heard mine is sitting on an Arnold Clark forecourt in Aberdeen.
I'll consult their website and see what they're asking.
I wouldn't buy my one (no chance..), but it will give you an idea.

HAHAHA
Arnold Clark are asking £17988 for it!
What a joke!:wtf::laugh: