Monster MotorsportJMB Retrofits
    2nd Gear

Status

Dealers Reaction to Lowered S3

Hi

Dropped the car off tonight at Macc Audi for a few rattle/creak issues.

I asked one of the technicians to come out to have a listen to the stereo as the rattle occurs when the bass kicks in on a certain song.

When he approached the car the first thing he said to me is 'Has that been lowered' and I obviously had to admit that it had, as it is blatantly obvious.

Will dealers have an issue with lowered cars with the warranty??

I presume if there is a suspension issue under warranty that they would refuse to do any works to the car???

Any one else had these looks from technicians at dealers whilst taking a 'Non standard' car for work to be done??

Lee
    Phantom Black S3, DSG, Buckets, Satnav, Bose, Bluetooth Prep, Heated Seats, Interior Light pack, Highbeam Assist, parking sensors. Done: Lowered H&R Springs, Spacers, Full Miltek Turbo Back, HPFP - Next on list: Evoms, Forge Re-circ Valve, REVO Stage 2+ and REVO DSG Software when available! - Then, no doubt Uprated brakes will be needed, (Better get saving)

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    I doubt you will get anywhere with rattles and creaks if its lowered. They wil just say the new suspension is to blame.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

2nd Gear

Status
    Mmm will have to see what they say, Macc audi are usually very good, if they kick up a fuss i'll just take it somewhere else.
    Phantom Black S3, DSG, Buckets, Satnav, Bose, Bluetooth Prep, Heated Seats, Interior Light pack, Highbeam Assist, parking sensors. Done: Lowered H&R Springs, Spacers, Full Miltek Turbo Back, HPFP - Next on list: Evoms, Forge Re-circ Valve, REVO Stage 2+ and REVO DSG Software when available! - Then, no doubt Uprated brakes will be needed, (Better get saving)

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
    I doubt you will get anywhere with rattles and creaks if its lowered. They wil just say the new suspension is to blame.
    Not if the car is static! thte rattles are already there it's the base on the system that brings them to the fore?

I would like to think that everything other than suspension/cv-boot issues would be coverd?

I'm getting mine lowerd this week!

p

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post

I'm getting mine lowerd this week!

p
    Who is doing it mate?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    U gettin springs p? after slating me about lowering in another thread or is that just coilovers?

On Boost

Status
    BillyBravo ( AKA Craig ) off the A4 section he runs a brach of TopGear round the corner fron us in Bredbury, him and his mate Andy are good lads , any mod type jobs there your men!

p

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8KOW View Post
    U gettin springs p? after slating me about lowering in another thread or is that just coilovers?
    Just the coilovers!

I'd love to be able to spend 1500 on a decent set and set up , but ATM untill my shocks/dampers need replacing i'll stick with the OEM stuff, and a cheap-ish set of springs.

p
    Last edited by phantom; 7th April 2008 at 20:58.

2nd Gear

Status
    And they'll probably be asking me if the engine is standard when I go back, as they WILL have taken it out for a road test!!!!

4th Gear

Status
    Not if the car is static! thte rattles are already there it's the base on the system that brings them to the fore?
    IMO that wouldnt matter they could argue the new lowered suspension has caused something to loosen up as it isnt the Audi approved suspension anymore, the bass is just showing up the fault after.
    Now:BMW 530d M-sport tourer. Then:Lava Grey A3 Sportback S-line 2.0TFSI Quattro, S-line Special Edition, Xenon Plus, Leather, Light and Rain Pack, Interior light Pack, Bose, DVD Nav+, Bluetooth, Multifunction wheel,Cruise, Heated Front Seats, Folding Mirrors, Rear Parking Sensor and some other bits.

jamiekip
    To be fair I'd be surprised if they did say something. With warranty work, they claim the cost of the work back from Audi, so it is really in their best interests!
    Also, if I'm reading correctly, it's an issue with a vibration as a result of base from the stereo yeah?? So nothing to do with the suspension - unless it only came after your suspension was fitted - in which case it could be as a result of the dampers coming out (I'm not sure if the panel where the bass speaker is is removed to remove the rear damper).

If they do refuse as a result of the suspension, I'd ask them to prove that this issue is a result of the suspension change to your car?

It's always dodgy with warranty stuff, you have the right frame of mind though, if they refuse, go to another dealer who is more understanding.

Good luck.

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers Jamie

I'll be getting the call today to let me know what they have done, if anything.

I'll report back to the forum later, at least then we will know which dealers are arsey about mods and which are not..

Lee

On Boost

Status
    Nice one Lee

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

BillyBravo ( AKA Craig ) off the A4 section he runs a brach of TopGear round the corner fron us in Bredbury, him and his mate Andy are good lads , any mod type jobs there your men!

p
    I'm going to see craig tomorrow hes doing my exhaust tips at topgear in stockport

On Boost

Status
    I'm going to see craig tomorrow hes doing my exhaust tips at topgear in stockport
    I'm booked in for the afternoon to get it lowerd, may see you there?

Ive got me spacers and locking wheel nuts , but theres been a mix up with the longer bolts that ive orderd so i can't have my spacers on at the same time!

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I'll probably been gone as I'm booked in for 10am, are you having springs? What spacers did you go for??

On Boost

Status
    I'll probably been gone as I'm booked in for 10am, are you having springs? What spacers did you go for??
    I'm there at 12.00 , H&R springs ( 25mill max ) H&R 10 mill spacers all four corners!

p

2nd Gear

Status
    Will have to see yours phantom with the 10mm on the front, I only opted for the rear at the time.

Let me know when you get em fitted

On Boost

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L33TAY View Post
    Will have to see yours phantom with the 10mm on the front, I only opted for the rear at the time.

Let me know when you get em fitted
    From what ive seen , if your spacing, all four corners need them , if your being picky slighty larger ones on the back , but the front deffo needs them too?

Lee even on the pic of your car the back looks spot on , but the front sits IN the arch, IMHO needs spacing also!

How did you get on at the dealers?

p

2nd Gear

Status
    From what ive seen , if your spacing, all four corners need them , if your being picky slighty larger ones on the back , but the front deffo needs them too?

Lee even on the pic of your car the back looks spot on , but the front sits IN the arch, IMHO needs spacing also!

How did you get on at the dealers?

p
    Hot heard anything from them yet!

As regard to spacers, I would have liked to put 5mm each side on the front, not sure you can get 5mm hubcentric ones tho?? unless anyone knows otherwise??

On Boost

Status
    I don't think so , maybe swap your backs to the front , and get 12mil for the back?

p

On Boost

Status
    I think this is lower than your/mine will be , he has no spacers on , in one of the pics you can see it's crying out for some at the front? IMHO

MY STEALTH , NEW (S3 WOW), PICSSS,

p

2nd Gear

Status
    Mmm true yes.

15's on the rear and 10 on the front would be perfect, however, 15's deffo give you rubbing issues if the car is lowered.

Do H&R do 12mm spacers??

2nd Gear

Status
    H&R do do 12mm

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...product=495486

So

May put the 10's now on the rear on the front, and order 12mm for the rear.

On Boost

Status
    Mmm true yes.

15's on the rear and 10 on the front would be perfect, however, 15's deffo give you rubbing issues if the car is lowered.

Do H&R do 12mm spacers??
    I read on here think it was JamS3 got some 12's from somewhere?

Give DPN a bell?

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I'm there at 12.00 , H&R springs ( 25mill max ) H&R 10 mill spacers all four corners!

p
    Big P, thanks for that, how comes your lowering then? I don't think I'll need spacers with ET45, but time will tell, might see you there! My S3 bumper has arrived now......WOOOO HOOOOO

On Boost

Status
    H&R do do 12mm

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pag...product=495486

So

May put the 10's now on the rear on the front, and order 12mm for the rear.
    Go for it mate! Craig at TopGear will fit em for you if you don't fancy it yourself?

He'll only charge you a couple of quid!

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Indeed Audi-Sport members get a healthy discount

2nd Gear

Status
    Go for it mate! Craig at TopGear will fit em for you if you don't fancy it yourself?

He'll only charge you a couple of quid!

p
    Nice one, when I get em i'll give you a bell for his details if thats OK?

Cheers

Lee

On Boost

Status
    Nice one, when I get em i'll give you a bell for his details if thats OK?

Cheers

Lee
    No sweat , how was the dealer?

p

2nd Gear

Status
    Still not got it mate

Hopefully get a call at some point tomorrow, they said they may need it for 2 days as the rattles etc are hard to pinpoint, and a test drive will be required each time.

I'll let you know what they say, if they are fine it may be worth you taking yours there for any issues you have in the future.

They were great with me with my last A3 2.0T.

On Boost

Status
    Still not got it mate

Hopefully get a call at some point tomorrow, they said they may need it for 2 days as the rattles etc are hard to pinpoint, and a test drive will be required each time.

I'll let you know what they say, if they are fine it may be worth you taking yours there for any issues you have in the future.

They were great with me with my last A3 2.0T.

Did that have mod's?

p

2nd Gear

Status
    No, that one was completely standard, so I have made up for it on the S3!!!

Lee

jamiekip
    It sounds like they are doing all the work for you then Lee! Glad to hear it.
    Fingers crossed they source the problem and cure it!

Phantom - I'll be really interested to hear how your car feels on the H&R springs and spacers. Considered this myself as I'm not a fan of the cost of coil-overs regardless of the superiority of a proper set up.... it's just to much of an outlay for something that I would appreciate for 5% of the time I own the car!!!

I'll be particularly interested to hear how it copes with speed humps etc and what the cruising ride is like round town and on motorways!

Keep us posted mate!

On Boost

Status
    Lee's had hes on since day one LOL

Springs will be on tommorrow, spacers later in the week.

Your right IMHO coilovers are better , but unless your a track fiend your never gonna take the car to where coilovers will improve over uprated springs! and the cost??? i can't justify it ATM , in future maybe.

p

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Coilovers give you the adjustability of getting your car sat at the perfect height, and with the added bonus of being to adjust the damping settings! I used to think the same i.e. track until I got educated.

On Boost

Status
    ^^^^Your right mate , but it all boils down to monies and for me ATM 1200-1400 for a decent set and proper set up is more than i want/can spend.

I can get the best springs for my car fitted for 280 or so, they maybe a couple of mill from perfect ride hight , but for the cost i can live with it!

If i was a track day animal, coilovers would be my first mod.....not for looks ,but for performance!

p

jamiekip
    I agree with you Phantom! For 1200-1400 I'd have to do a lot of 'spirited' driving to justify!!

Lee - as you already have the H&R springs do you have some before & after shots and can you give a report on how you find the ride etc???

Cheers

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Fair enough p.