Wheel cleaning

L

L60N

THe first time i cleaned my wheels I thought "Ohhh crap, thats something i didnt think about"! See my last wheels were a doddle. Five massive spokes with lots of air in-between, not so with the Audi ones.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after 3 washes im already exasperated with the effort required to get into all the crevaces so went to Halfrauds in a bid to find a product to just spray on and rinse off. Couldnt find one.. Does one even exist?? (One that wont melt your wheels over time :p )

Anyway i DID come across somthing called "Autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal" Reading the back it seems to put a layer onto the wheel that helps to NOT attract brake dust to the wheel.

Now im not expecting miracles, but i'll let you know how it performs (applied some last night).

Probably a load of ******, but it bears the queens seal so i'm hopeful :D

The queens seal!! I wonder is she shines her wheels with it! ;)

I use on of them toothbrushes with the rubber bits on it too... I can 'just' about reach all the bits I need to... but yeah, you get a bit of wrist ache.

There are all sorts of products out there to make life a bit easier.

At the moment I am using Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant layered twice. It doesn't stop the brake dust from getting there in the 1st place but it simply wipes off with no effort come wash time. Gives the paint a bit of extra shine too.

As for a cleaning product there is something called Bilberry available thats non acidic but meant to be really effective for stubborn grime. It would strip any sealants that are already on there so you wouldn't use it everytime, just before you re-apply any sealants.

There are all sorts of products out there to make life a bit easier.

At the moment I am using Chemical Guys Wheel Sealant layered twice. It doesn't stop the brake dust from getting there in the 1st place but it simply wipes off with no effort come wash time. Gives the paint a bit of extra shine too.

As for a cleaning product there is something called Bilberry available thats non acidic but meant to be really effective for stubborn grime. It would strip any sealants that are already on there so you wouldn't use it everytime, just before you re-apply any sealants.

Loads of people on detailing world rate the bilberry. Have u not tried the poor boys wheel sealant?

Loads of people on detailing world rate the bilberry. Have u not tried the poor boys wheel sealant?

Nope from what I gather the Chemical Guys and Poorboys Sealants are very similar in all but colour and the label on the pot so may aswell stick what I already have :salute:

I have used the poorboys sealent; it works well. I use porsche techquipment wheel cleaner which is great! (i think its one of the better products just labled).

You can either take 2 routers:
A good sealant/wax, and use a mild car wash shampoo.....or a wheel cleaner, spray on, then high pressure rinse of. No matter how strong it is, some traces will remain and you still will have to use the sponge.

I suggest you get some brushes online, they will make cleaning the inside much easier!

Ha ha, went through the same process... last S3 avus alloys were easy to clean, new S3 wheels not so!

Anyway, every 2 months I get my car on a trolley jack and get the wheels off one by one.
Clean off with a pressure wash and blackfire wheel cleaner (this isn't designed to break the dirt off then just rinse, you still have to give the wheel a proper rub over).
Dry off with a work towel.
JEFFs prime strong applied via german app pad - leave for 15 mins and remove
2 x layers of poorboys wheel seal.

The first layer of prime really gets the shine in your alloys working and is a worth step in my opinion. The PB Wheel seal really lasts for a good 2-3 months.

It'll take about an hour a wheel - so a bit time consuming, but the time you save later down the line is a big bonus. Also, when you ahve the wheels off and you're letting layers cure, you can get in to the wheel arch and give them a proper clean.

I've just got back from a 1600 mile round trip to the Alps, and simply jet washing the wheels has removed all the brake dust and road muck in no time with only the odd area needing a wipe over.

I used the auotglym wheel seal spray in the past, it does work, but doesn't last too long. I also found that when applying directly from the can, the wind would easily spray the seal on your paintwork. You can spary on to a cloth and apply that way, but again it did not last very long.

Hope that helps.

I washed my car this morning and just washed the alloy wheels with a brush and small sponge with normal car was added. No marks or anything on them. When I first had the car 12 months and 14k miles ago I just washed the wheels and applied Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Since then I've only washed them.

Have to agree Dave
ive had alloys rangeing from BBS CH's to the current ones (which are a doddle) to clean
just get into the habit of cleaning them 'once a week'

A good tip for getting 'inside' the wheels is to use a cheap wash mitt for the wheels.

That way you can get right inside the wheels, and use your finger to get into the crevices, and you also don't end up grazing your hands on the brake calipers and edges if the spokes....;)