New car time? S5?

S

S3IZZO

Maybe getting rid of the S3(s).

Have any of you current S3 owners driven a S5 before? - any thoughts on performance and handling in comparison to the S3?

Got an appointment with my local Audi dealer next friday to discuss this as an option on change but I can't help thinking about the new M3 or a Porsche Cayman? (See, no Audi blinkers here :lmfao:)

Wondering if the S5 would be a disapointment in comparision considering the relatively minor price difference.

This would be my first proper 'grown up' big car, before this i've only ever owned 3 door hatchbacks (Civic, Golf GTI's and 2 S3's) but i've run out of performance in that type of car really without modifying it to the hilt...not really sure about getting a fairly large car considering i'm 25, single with no dependents :shrug:

If you can afford it...Do it mate. I would probably go for an M3 given the choice but i don't really know how good the S5 is?

I reakon hold out for a tad longer...did I hear someone mention a RS5 model in the future???:hubbahubba:hope so.

Generally People say the new M3 is one hell of a car...think it might be a big margin ahead of an S5? ... I wonder what sort of power you could get from the 335i being turbo`d???:icon_thumright:

In fact I think the 335i is closer to the S5 than the M3....

A modded 335i would be a hell of a car....

Pedro

The S5 isn't a big coupe... I'm seriously considering one of these as a replacment for my Z4 coupe.

But I am 35, travel 104 miles a day for work at a minimum, so my requirements are probably slightly different to yours. I want something that can cover big miles with little effort but still be kinda entertaining on the B-roads when required.

Plus they are a rare'ish sight on the roads.

J.

2nd hand RS4?

As far as looks go I think that the normal 3 series Coupe looks miles better than the M3. A 335i cant be far behind an M3 either?

2nd hand RS4?

As far as looks go I think that the normal 3 series Coupe looks miles better than the M3. A 335i cant be far behind an M3 either?

I don't quite follow you here....

The M3, apart from the bulge in the bonnet to accomodate the V8, carbon fibre roof and rear exhaust is pretty similar to a 335 coupe!!!

Also...335 is really far from the M3, mate!!! 306bhp to 418 bhp (give or take)

No way a 335i will keep up with the M3! Not even with last generation ones with only 343 bhp....

Pedro

Yes similar but somehow its lines dont flow quite as nicely for me personally :)

Ok yeah bit of difference in performance :lmfao: but a 335i is still going to be fairly handy?

Dont think it will get near an M3 either but am just curious as to how much power a remap etc might get from the 335i as I think its got 2 tommy Turbo`s?

the standard 335i, comparing manufacturers data, has performances pretty similar to a S3. Now remmapped I would estimate getting an extra 80bhp??? that would be fast...

Pedro

I think in terms of performance the 335i is too simlar to my current car?...also doesn't have that 'special' feel about it.

I guess that's a bit materialistic and short sighted of me only wanting something with an S/RS or M badge but that's the way I am and I don't have to appologise for it :beee:

I guess this is all a bit pointless, I should go make my own mind up :)

Ha Ha. siu00adg i was just about to suggest the same cameo of cars. I was also going to be very bold and throw in a Shelby Mustang GT500. Not very practical i know but abit of muscle never hurt anyone.

Enjoy your search S3IZZO

Wills

RS4 or M3? i think the S5 is a bit to much on the FAMILY/EXEC side of things for a single lad, coming from a HOT HATCH and looking for more power!

Yes i know the RS4 and M3 are also....but there different!

I cant help you any more mate , having never driven either.

p

You had to post a picture of a Carrera GT3 :drool:

I just did a sex wee.

mates dad has a noble M400 and its very very fast,such a buzz just as passenger:scared2:

You cannot compare S5 with M3 as the M3 is way better. Get a pre owned RS4 for the same money. IMO the S5 is a bit of a non event (like buying an S4 now the RS4 is/was out). Its no beast but thirsty and heavy..
RS4 residual is much better. Totally different from S3.

I test drove an S4 with the 4.2 V8 engine prior to buying the S3. Now remember at the time I was only kicking about in the Leon Cupra R (Stage 2 - 280bhp), so nothing ground breaking.

I found the S4 engine a little lazy TBH. I appreciate it was quicker than my car by some margin, but it had no urgency or thrill to its manner. I was deeply disappointed as I was going to buy it prior to testing it! I had a rethink and went back to a blown engine as I love the surge of a turbo car.

As the same engine is in the S5 I really don't think it would do much for you. I think the S5 would be a great cruiser, but won't have the edge you are looking for. I drove a 3.0TDi and it didn't offend me in any way, but I am 35 this year and a bit soft round the edges. It didn't really excite me either, but then I don't really use the S3 in anger these days.

Part of me is tempted to hold out for a new M3, but by the time I buy it (in late 2009) fuel will be about £8 a gallon and car tax will be about £500 a year so it may be out of the question.

Add it to the list of all the great cars I've never owned but wanted!

Jordan, you're getting rid of the S3 a bit quick. It seems like only a few months ago you were selling your 8L S3 to make way for the new one.

The S5 is a grand tourer, nothing more, nothing less. Took one for a test drive, looked lovely (the LED's are a bit much perhaps), and was effortless to drive, but it lacked soul. It didn't seem all that fast either, but it got plenty of looks in Sprint blue.

The RS4 is a lot better in my opinion, and the S5's image is a bit yuppie, city type like the M3. I've not drove the new M3, but I really thought the E46 shape was class, maybe you could consider an M3 CSL? The E92 335i is also very, very good. They're faster than the old M3, but the interior is dull and the looks are questionable I suppose.

If it were my money, I'd probably get an RS4, brilliant motors and the only decent car Audi have made for a while. I also have a soft spot for the E46 M3, but I suppose they're getting on a bit now. The best thing to do is to take a few cars for a test drive, and see what you like best. You never know you may end up loving the S5, because I certainly was left feeling underwhelmed by it.

depends on what you want, if you believe the hype the bimmer would be a better drive but no doubt about it the S5 would be rarer (at the moment)

I'd personally take the S5 for the rarity value

I think RS4 will be rarer than both.

I have owned an RS4 for about 9 months and it is an awesome car especially now that 43K will buy a nice one (same price or cheaper than S5)

The S5 is effortless, lazy and doesn't want to be rushed. It can cover ground rapidly enough, but in terms of dynamics it's completely different to the RS4 which is more focused. The S5 is rare, but so are Austin Maestro's now!

The only thing dissapointing about the RS4 is the rather dated interior, which is essentially the same as any A4 from 2001 onwards, but most are well specced so don't look too spartan. The S5's interior is nice, if a little too driver orientated and it has lots of nifty features which the RS4 doesn't, but I'll have an RS4 in Sprint blue or Daytona Grey over any S5 available. I don't believe the RS5 - should Audi choose to produce it - will be any more of a drivers car than an S5. The RS4 felt a lot faster than the S5, the difference was quite noticeable.

Maybe getting rid of the S3(s).

Have any of you current S3 owners driven a S5 before? - any thoughts on performance and handling in comparison to the S3?

Got an appointment with my local Audi dealer next friday to discuss this as an option on change but I can't help thinking about the new M3 or a Porsche Cayman? (See, no Audi blinkers here :lmfao:)

Wondering if the S5 would be a disapointment in comparision considering the relatively minor price difference.

This would be my first proper 'grown up' big car, before this i've only ever owned 3 door hatchbacks (Civic, Golf GTI's and 2 S3's) but i've run out of performance in that type of car really without modifying it to the hilt...not really sure about getting a fairly large car considering i'm 25, single with no dependents :shrug:

this may seem a little cheeky, but how in gods name can you be 25 years old and have owned all of those cars, and now be looking at a S5

i have just turned 23 and i got the A3 1.6 special edition after my birthday.

Fair play though, you must have a well paying job

I still stand by my original reply.... If you're wanting to 'move up' from an S3 and still maintain a powerful, focused, fast car it HAS to be a new M3 or lightly used RS4. Nothing else in the price bracket really fits the bill or will ultimately satisfy your criteria.
Don't go buying track cars like GT3's or Nobles for every day use, you'll have f**ked your back and shook your teeth out within 6 months! Trust me it's a real task to do a long journey in one of those cars. Painful infact and just stops being fun. Never mind should you ever have to wear a suit or show up to a 'function' of any sort.

Paul.

I had my rs4 for 10 months and it was very useable every day and did better mpg than my old S4!..
Still a lot of money to be tied up in 4 wheels though in my opinion so it had to go!..

Be aware though the running costs overall of rs4 are quite high. I got about 25MPG average on motorway runs (17 urban) and road tax and servicing are going to be large in the next few years as it starts to need brakes, disks etc...

Lots of replies! I'll try and answer as many as I can.

Yes, if I had £40k of my own money I wouldn't be looking at an Audi S5 either, i'd be going straight for that 996 GT3 posted above :laugh:

This is a company car guys so needs to be either brand new or less than a year old from a main dealer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to take the S5 for a spin myself and see what it's like. After reading some of the posts about it though i'm thinking it's not what i'm looking for.

Lots of replies! I'll try and answer as many as I can.

Yes, if I had £40k of my own money I wouldn't be looking at an Audi S5 either, i'd be going straight for that 996 GT3 posted above :laugh:

This is a company car guys so needs to be either brand new or less than a year old from a main dealer.

Thanks for all the suggestions, going to take the S5 for a spin myself and see what it's like. After reading some of the posts about it though i'm thinking it's not what i'm looking for.

Get in a RS4 straight after to compare!

p

The E92 335i is also very, very good. They're faster than the old M3, but the interior is dull and the looks are questionable I suppose.

What M3 are you comapring the 335 to? I guess it would have to be the e36 because as good as the 335 is it is now where near as quick as an e46 M3!

Everyones suggesting alternatives to the S5 but we don't know what sort of driving/mileage the guy does. Buying a track focused car to use every day is going to be impractical. A 355? Yep £48k will buy on but the running cost are out of this world.

I still have a sued Rs4 on my list but covering 35K plus miles a year it's not really a viable option. Plus it is an old model now.

Just my opinion of course.

J.

S3IZZO: As you know, there's more to a car than 0-60 times and bhp figures. You could well get into the S5 and just fall in love with the feel, ride, sound etc. No advice and opinions can make up for actually driving car yourself. No one will ever agree on what makes a great car, you only have to read my Porsche thread to see that!