140TDI and 170TDI Differences

Crisis

Reaction score
I've been wondering what are the physical differences between the two engines? Is it anything special? Could a 140 be converted into a 170?

And I know remaps exist etc etc but if you can remap a 170 to around 200BHP then thats even better.

All I've read about is the DPF? Or something like that. Acronym maybe wrong there.

The 170 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). As for the other differences I'm not sure but its more than just an engine map. Has different injectors to the 140 anyway

From what I understand (and that is not a lot admittedly :sadlike:), it is a completely different engine. The 140 is capable of more than 170bhp but it needs more than just a remap whereas both Superchips and Revo claim 200bhp+ on a remap for the 170.

The 170 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). As for the other differences I'm not sure but its more than just an engine map. Has different injectors to the 140 anyway

which means you dont get a huge cloud of black smoke out the back everytime you put your foot on the right pedal.

Smaller turbo on the 140 - more tunable apparently, that's what I've gone for, remap to 185 or so but it's the torque gain that's mega

I wouldnt go above 180bhp in the 140pd to be honest

TC kicks in all the time and the clutch wont be able to handle it

as far as physical differences between the two models go, there isnt muct - all i can think of is that the 170PD has straight chrome tail pipes

I had the Leon TDi FR for a bit to try in the 170bhp and it tried to wheel spin all the time, down a damp slip road in 3rd was a bit hairy so can see where you're coming from

3rd gear wheelspin on a straight bit of road? Only time I've had a slight bit of wheelspin in 3rd is if I am bit brutal with the throttle coming off a wet roundabout.

Different turbo, additional balancer shaft, piezo injectors, different ECU, DPF, Stainless tailpipes

3rd gear wheelspin on a straight bit of road? Only time I've had a slight bit of wheelspin in 3rd is if I am bit brutal with the throttle coming off a wet roundabout.

I can get this on a damp straight bit of road - right now though the roads are dry......:rockwoot:

On damp roads the 140 wheelspins in 1st & 2nd if you let the revs drop below turbo spool up speed then come back through it with a heavy foot. Can get this up hill on a wet road too in 3rd. Good tyres reduce it, but don't prevent it fully.

Any more power is fine, so long as you drive appropriately. 400BHP through the front wheels would be fine, so long as the driver altered his driving style accordingly.

Again, you'll only shred (standard) clutches if you floor it in 1st/2nd and try and do drag strip style starts all the time.