Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

140TDI and 170TDI Differences

I've been wondering what are the physical differences between the two engines? Is it anything special? Could a 140 be converted into a 170?

And I know remaps exist etc etc but if you can remap a 170 to around 200BHP then thats even better.

All I've read about is the DPF? Or something like that. Acronym maybe wrong there.

Audi A3 2.0TDI Sportback
    Mods: Bluetooth
    Plans: Superchip | 18" Lambo Remps Reps | Carbon Mirrors

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    The 170 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). As for the other differences I'm not sure but its more than just an engine map. Has different injectors to the 140 anyway
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

1st Gear

Status
    From what I understand (and that is not a lot admittedly ), it is a completely different engine. The 140 is capable of more than 170bhp but it needs more than just a remap whereas both Superchips and Revo claim 200bhp+ on a remap for the 170.
    Car History
    "57" Audi A3 2.0tdi 170 S-Line S-Tronic, Phantom Black
    "56" VW Golf 2.0tdi Sport
    "55" Audi A4 2.0t S-Line Quattro
    "51" BMW 330d Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The 170 has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). As for the other differences I'm not sure but its more than just an engine map. Has different injectors to the 140 anyway
    which means you dont get a huge cloud of black smoke out the back everytime you put your foot on the right pedal.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Intercooler, intake and remap can see the 140 a shade under 200 because it has a more tuneable engine, which is nearer to the 1.9PD engines used by VW, Skoda and Seat.

If you're willing to change injectors, exhaust or turbo you could see well over 200-250bhp.

Have a look here for inspiration: http://www.allardmotorcompany.co.uk/...DI-quattro.pdf

exploring other avenues

Status
    Smaller turbo on the 140 - more tunable apparently, that's what I've gone for, remap to 185 or so but it's the torque gain that's mega
    2008 pre facelift 2.0 TDi 140 S-Line A3 Ibis
    2008 new model 2.0 TDi 140 SE A4 Quartz Grey for family wheels

'60's bug in the pipeline!!

Boydie
    I wouldnt go above 180bhp in the 140pd to be honest

TC kicks in all the time and the clutch wont be able to handle it

as far as physical differences between the two models go, there isnt muct - all i can think of is that the 170PD has straight chrome tail pipes

exploring other avenues

Status
    I had the Leon TDi FR for a bit to try in the 170bhp and it tried to wheel spin all the time, down a damp slip road in 3rd was a bit hairy so can see where you're coming from
    2008 pre facelift 2.0 TDi 140 S-Line A3 Ibis
    2008 new model 2.0 TDi 140 SE A4 Quartz Grey for family wheels

'60's bug in the pipeline!!

5th Gear

Status
    3rd gear wheelspin on a straight bit of road? Only time I've had a slight bit of wheelspin in 3rd is if I am bit brutal with the throttle coming off a wet roundabout.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

1st Gear

Status
    Different turbo, additional balancer shaft, piezo injectors, different ECU, DPF, Stainless tailpipes
    Audi A3 Sportback SE 2.0 TDI 170 - Lava Grey, Rear parking sensors, Symphony II+, Aluminium Trim

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    3rd gear wheelspin on a straight bit of road? Only time I've had a slight bit of wheelspin in 3rd is if I am bit brutal with the throttle coming off a wet roundabout.
    I can get this on a damp straight bit of road - right now though the roads are dry......
    Audi A3 Sportback SE 2.0 TDI 170 - Lava Grey, Rear parking sensors, Symphony II+, Aluminium Trim

Mellow Yellow

Status
    On damp roads the 140 wheelspins in 1st & 2nd if you let the revs drop below turbo spool up speed then come back through it with a heavy foot. Can get this up hill on a wet road too in 3rd. Good tyres reduce it, but don't prevent it fully.

Any more power is fine, so long as you drive appropriately. 400BHP through the front wheels would be fine, so long as the driver altered his driving style accordingly.

Again, you'll only shred (standard) clutches if you floor it in 1st/2nd and try and do drag strip style starts all the time.