looking for Sline 170tdi

davieb3

Reaction score
Hi
Looking for your advice

recently sold my Mk4 R32, and thinking of buying a sline 170tdi
my budget is £19k - what year am i realisticaly going to buy for this money.
Would ideally like the quattro - esp coming from a haldex 4wd car?

Im hoping with no part ex - i can bargain hard with the stealers!

I only do 7k miles a year - but recently test drove a golf 170tdi - and liked the drivabilty of the car with loads of torque and also the low tax banding of the car - compared to my R32 which is group M (£440 next year)

any options that are a must to have - i would really like Bose sound, not sure what other options are essential

any help or advice appreciated

Not sure if you really need Quattro, I dont have it and dont find myself wanting for it but then I've never had a car with it to know what its like.

Options wise I would say BOSE and front centre armrest are probably the 2 most common. Xenons, heated seats, RNS-E etc. are all nice if you want them but not essential. One option I have started to wish I had is rear parking sensors as the rear window is quite high...

At a dealers you are probably looking at a late 2006 non Quattro car for you're money?

I wish I had ordered the interior light pack believe it or not! Other than that mine is standard and there is nothing I miss particularly. Go for 4wd if you don't mind spending the extra on diesel.

firstly - you have picked a very nice car - well done.

i wanted BOSE - but you have to check out the standard setup first as it is very very good. in fact, so good that i left it off.

rear parking is a must - couldnt do without it now.

as far as the quattro..........i opted for the DSG box and FWD. the dsg was more important to me and they dont do both together. 4x4 is all go in the wet, but the extra weight, tire wear, fuel cost etc..............not sure if its worth it.

firstly - you have picked a very nice car - well done.

i wanted BOSE - but you have to check out the standard setup first as it is very very good. in fact, so good that i left it off.

rear parking is a must - couldnt do without it now.

as far as the quattro..........i opted for the DSG box and FWD. the dsg was more important to me and they dont do both together. 4x4 is all go in the wet, but the extra weight, tire wear, fuel cost etc..............not sure if its worth it.

Leave the quattro - yes sometimes the traction control comes in but very very rarely on a dry road and you easily adapt on the damp, greasy surfaces.

I upgraded the stereo to the Symphony II+ and it's great plus I can vouch for the rear parking sensors - they make it much easier when parking in tight spots.

The interior light pack makes a difference too - nice ambient lighting.

Absolutely loving my 170.

Electric folding mirrors,centre armrest,and electric lumbar support most useful IMHO.

Don't listen to them - get the quattro version. And a remap!

I have a 140tdi with remap (Bluefin) and quattro. Now ive had a 140tdi loan sportback and the traction was on all the time. I'm just back from audi (again) and this time they have gave me a A4 170tdi without quattro and again the traction control is always on!
Ive only had the traction light on twice on mine, once is snow and other when i was really pushing it to the max.
The quattro seam to know when you are going to need the other wheels and just sorts it out!
My advice especially with the 170, Yeah get quattro if you can find one! Even if a remap is on the cards!!!

Don't listen to them - get the quattro version. And a remap!

I agree!! Get the quattro if you can. Compared to my previous 140tdi non-quattro - the performance, grip and handling is different class ....bit thirsty on diesel but worth it.