Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Squealing Brakes

My Sportback has developed squealing brakes. The noise occurs when I am slowing down to a stop with a light touch, it doesn't occur with fast or hard braking. It is not being caused by trapped stones , etc but seems to be as a result of regular use.

Is this a common problem with a DSG gearbox?

Is there a solution?

Secondly, I have an intermittent clunk which seems to come from the engine/gearbox department. It is not accompanied by a shunt. It is a bit louder than the shunt noise caused when the doors autolock above 10 mph. I used to get a similar noise with my A4 but it came from under the car and I put it down to the handbrake release. This noise occurs most often when pulling out of a junction from being stationary.

Any one else finding this problem.
    Paul

A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback SE S-tronic Ice Silver

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    OH.... sooo annoying!! I had squeeking brakes on my last car after Id had new brake pads... apparently it was the brake sensors though doing the squeeking... Why would squeeking brakes be to do with DSG though??

Neutral

Status
    With DSG you probably use the brake pedal much more as the main control of the car compared to manual where the gearbox can be used to slow the vehicle.
    Paul

A3 2.0 TFSI Sportback SE S-tronic Ice Silver

5th Gear

Status
    mine started this about 15k ago, new brakes fitted since then and it carries on but now only on a reeeeeeeeeeeally light brake application

Mine's a DSG too and I'd argue the brakes will take more of a hammering as, if like me, in slow moving traffic jams you tend to keep the speed in check with the brakes a lot more than in a manual

6th Gear

Status
    My S does this as well on a light pedal sounds really naff and a bit embarassing in my nice shiny Audi
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

Reverse Gear

Status
    My 2.0TDI does this too... Only on light brake applications, thought it was the pads, so got them changed, but continues to happen...

No Idea!!
    Jan 07 - Peugeot 206 1.0L (Bought for me)
    August 07 - Citroen C2 1.4L Furio (BIG Mistake)
    November 07 - A3 2.0 TDi SE Black 2004, Cruise Control (Nice, but not nice enough)
    May 08 - A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG Ibis White 2008, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Bose, CD Changer, Full Leather. (Can't wait!!)

windsurfer

Status
    Mine does it too on very ligh brake pressure.. and mine comes from back right brake setup...

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

Status
    ditto, mine have been doing the same for about 4,000 miles. I took front wheels off and cleaned down the calipers / pads with brake cleaner and they were OK for about 150 miles, but it came back. In slow traffic slowing between about 10-20mph in slow traffic they just whine. Supposedly if you change to other pads (like Ferodo's DS2500) it can resolve the issue.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition