19" ET42 will it fit????

silverlogic

S3RVA
Reaction score
Hi folkes

Ive been offered a set of 19" wheels which are 5x112 8J ET42 but I'm not convinced the offset will fit? Theyre to go on an 8P S3.

Its a fair way for me to travel to try them on too so wondering if any of you guys know what the score is and can advise me?:thrashi:

lol couldnt resist usin that emoticon
cheers:blow:

I had rubbing issues with 19" ET45 on my 3.2. Some people say they can be fitted but I think you'd need quite a narrow tyre stretched onto the rim. I personally wouldn't touch them.

Sorry. Can't answer it but if you don't mind I'm jumping in here on a similiar note that might also answer your thread too.

S3 alloys. Short of me taking a wheel off and feel free to treat me like a wheel idiot.

1. Does anyone know what the standard S3 wheel offset is?
2. What is considered the min to max offset for an S3?
3. Is bigger offset out to arch/ smaller offset in to arch?
4. If the offset is ?? but the wheel size goes from 7.5J to 8J, whats the upshot?

Ta in advance. The wheel idiot:unsure:
Jas

I'll take a look at the stamp on the insides of my originals (nicely boxed in the garage) and post the details up in the morning, PM sent BTW with pics as requested.

I was told standard S3 offset is 54mm
Higher offset is further in to body
Lower offset is nearer wheelarch

A wheel with 54mm offset and 8j width if then changed to 9j (25mm diff) but retaining the same offset will increase the wheel by 25mm and be 25mm nearer the wheelarch.
Most people on here who fit spacers (onto standard S3 with standard tyres 225x40x18) use 10mm (as 15mm seem to rub)
So we can assume that an increase of 10mm (spacers) will push the wheel nearer the wheelarch but not rub.
Standard wheel is 54mm so take the 10mm away (spacer) leaves us with 44mm.
So a wheel with a 225x40x18 tyre with an offset of 44mm should clear on a standard S3 (but the wheel will be 10mm nearer the wheelarch ie fill the arches)

So maximum offset in will be 54mm,minimum offset will be 44mm to safely clear without rubbing of course this all changes with different tyre sizes or even the same size just different make (as the tyre profile might be different)

clear as mud

Dipstic,

No not mud but well thought out. Thanks I'm in a wheel change process on my S3 so all this info is great.

Not going to 19" want to stick with ride quality as it is so any advice on 18"s and offset appreciated. :applaus:

Have got the 10mm H&R spacers so sorted on that option.

Cheers Jas

Dipstic,

No not mud but well thought out. Thanks I'm in a wheel change process on my S3 so all this info is great.

Not going to 19" want to stick with ride quality as it is so any advice on 18"s and offset appreciated. :applaus:

Have got the 10mm H&R spacers so sorted on that option.

Cheers Jas

if you reduce offset to 44mm you are actually doing the same as putting spacers (10mm) on a wheel with 54mm offset, so you wont need the spacers (if you fitted spacers to a wheel with 44mm offset it would then be the same as 34mm offset and would stick out of your wheelarch)
So def no spacers with 44mm offset and if you have them fitted now to your standard wheels and they dont rub you should be okay with 44mm offset and 225/40/18 tyres assuming the wheel width is the same or less (j size)

I think you will rub....mainly because the most commonly used tyre size for 19in is 235-35-19, you should find a tyre that has a very round should to avoid rubbing.

You will definitely have to remove the rear fender screws. I changed mine to regular phillips head screws and had no further rubbing!

:)

I will have no rubbing issues with my 235/35/19s ET45 I will make sure of it, whatevers making everyone elses rub, it will be coming out of my car!

ok i got et 42 and they rub sometimes better you go for et 50 thats what i should have done..jeje,,,,,

Right well thats put pay to my original idea - now to plan B.

PLAN B

Hartmann Wheels have offered a 30% discount when 5 sets of wheels are purchased so its quite a discount but then I'd have to see if they would deduct taxes off at their end too as I'm certain I couldnt get them into the UK without paying duty.

Only thing is I need another 4 peeps who want a set http://www.hartmannwheels.com/1-425-895-0000/wheels/Audi/1

They do quite a few styles and I was going to go G5 or S8

Cheers for that N8 just called em - Gallardo reps are ET45 which they recommend a 225-35-19 tyre but then they want £950 for the set and theres an 8 week wait. Not a chance I said. I can get them for £550 locally anyway, but its the ET47 I was after - question is, is it worth it all for an extra 2mm???

The S8s are ET35 only so thats out the question unfortunately.

Its alrite lad, they're based in Clevedon which is just outside Bristol and when I lived there I used to be down there all the time! I've got ET45 19"s, maybe I should get a 225/35/19 as well. Any reason why they suggested that!

Thanks

Nath.

I did question the width and he said it was what they recommend on those as standard, to which I said I didnt want a stretched euro look tyre but he insisted it fits perfectly.

Myself Im not convinced until I see it but if youre stretching tyres (which I have no issue with as I have that on my mk3 golf) then youre sacrificing the lip protection. Something which I aint happy doing so the hunt is still on as they say.....

cheers
Col