VAGCOM - The definitive answers (Once I get a few responses)

dobber

Reaction score
I take it VAGCOM is the sofeware/cable/connection used by AUDi to talk to the computer in the car? IS it easy to get? Worth while? Is it easy to use? If not do lots of garages have it? Can i get them to set up my car?
:scared2::scared2::scared2::scared2::blackrs4:

No quite correct. Audi dealers use a computer system called VAS 5051 to diagnose faults and set up modules etc on all Audis.

VAG-COM is a piece of software written by a company called Ross-Tech in the US. They basically sell you a cable to suit you car and your can download the software for free from their website. The cable acts as a dongle for the software so although the cable may seem expensive for just a cable it also includes the cost of the software.

Anything that can be done using VAG-COM can also be done by a dealer using their VAS 5051 system as well, but of course dealers will charge you for doing so.

The current 8P version of the A3 requires either a HEX-CAN-USB cable or a Micro-CAN cable. The Micro-CAN cable is around $100 cheaper but can only be used on VAG cars based on the Golf 5 chassis, which includes the A3. The HEX-CAN-USB cable can be used on most Audis including the A3.

For more details of VAG-COM see www.Ross-Tech.com

It is a useful piece of software that allows you to change the settings on some of the control modules on the A3 such as selective locking, auto-locking at 15mph, changing xenon headlights for european driving and many more. There are a number of websites that give details of the codes and how to change them including a section of Wiki run by Ross-Tech. The guys at Ross-Tech also look in at the VAG-COM forums on ASN and other sites and try to answer any questions that arise.

I have personally just purchased a Micro-CAN cable direct from Ross-Tech in the US for £129.00 + £42.45 shipping by FedEx Express, which takes only 2/3 days. I then got an invoice from FedEx for the UK VAT and a handling charge which came to £25.90. So all in all a total of £197.35

As a dealer tends to charge around £50.00 to change my xenons for Europe and £50.00 to change them back again and as I tend to drive to Europe at least twice a year it will soon pay for itself with that alone.

Thats quality info - does anyone have VAGCOM in Edinburgh?

And it's Vista compatible so I can load it on my work laptop.

Saves me having to get a copy of Boot Camp and XP for my Mac. I have a Mac so I can get away from Windows, not end up adding it to the Mac!