Chris NottEM Tuning
    Neutral

Status

Ambient LED install help

Hi,
    I've a March 07 S3, and am looking at installing the Ambient LED lights.
    I emailed my local dealer, and they have one set currently in stcok at 10.37 inc VAT.

I've been reading the following post and the relevant install guide at http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50993 and have a couple of questions:

a) Is this part suitable for my car? Just want to make sure if I buy them that they'll fit
    b) Someone has mentioned different colours? What colours are available?

thanks
    Colin
    S3 Sportback (8V) - May 2014 - Estoril Blue - S-tronic, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Tinted windows, Flat Tyre Warning System
    My other baby: www.babybmw.net

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Hiya Chanlon...

you've been reading about titled 'Pigeon pair S3's for our wedding!!' ??

I asked about the different colour options but I didnt think there was one other than red or are you on about the fitment itself??
    Last edited by Kontraband; 31st March 2008 at 11:06.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontraband View Post
    Hiya Chanlon...

you've been reading about titled 'Pigeon pair S3's for our wedding!!' ??

I asked about the different colour options but I didnt think there was one other than red or are you on about the fitment itself??
    I missed one number in the link above and hence it redirected to the wrong post!!! Its been corrected now.

Regarding the colour, it was a comment Boydie made:
    "I got mine from vag parts - best phone them and give your chassis number so you get the correct colour combination as they did not list my colour when i rang them " - I'm assumming this is in referemce to the colour of the lights?

But one of my underlying questions is, will this part fit my Mar 07 S3?
    Do I need to worry about VAGCOM or anything, or is it just as simple as plug 'n' play?
    S3 Sportback (8V) - May 2014 - Estoril Blue - S-tronic, Comfort Pack, Interior Light Pack, Tinted windows, Flat Tyre Warning System

6th Gear

Status
    Yes it fits and it just plugs in. VAGparts will ask you some questions about the trim colour and the airbag light. Go for it!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnS3 View Post
    Yes it fits and it just plugs in. VAGparts will ask you some questions about the trim colour and the airbag light. Go for it!
    I'm looking at getting it from my local dealer ..... I assusme they'll ask the same questions?

6th Gear

Status
    I'd presume nothing when talking to a dealer. I imagine VAGparts will be cheaper though.

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by chanlon1 View Post

Regarding the colour, it was a comment Boydie made:
    "I got mine from vag parts - best phone them and give your chassis number so you get the correct colour combination as they did not list my colour when i rang them " - I'm assumming this is in referemce to the colour of the lights?
    Hi Chanlon1,

Im 99% sure Boydie is talking about the plastic housing colour NOT the colour of the lights.

The a3 interior is available in all different colours such as Black, grey (2 of) and cream etc, so make sure you ring them with your chassis number to ensure your not dissapointed when it arrives.

Redlined

Status
    I assume you mean the LEDs in the ceiling near the rear view mirror?

Before you go for this idea:

I did it about a year ago (on a 3.2 not an S3) and it's easy enough. I do like the glow that it provides, BUT...

The intensity of the glow is linked to the dashboard light brightness setting, so as you dim your dash lights, the LEDs dim too. My problem is that I like my dash lights quite low, which means I can hardly tell that the LEDs are on at all!

So, if you like your dash lights high, or if somebody can post a way of fixing the LEDs to be unaffected by the dash dimmer, then fine. Otherwise (as for me) it may be pretty much a waste of time.
    Dave.
    2006 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-line DSG in Lava Grey.
    Symphony II, BOSE, Parking Sensor, Cruise Control.
    TomTom Go 700, Parrot 3100

Previously...
    2002 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 Selespeed Veloce. Yum - nuff said.
    1993-2002 Eight Vauxhalls - mandatory for company scheme. Highlights were two Vectra 2.5 V6 GSi's - one of which R.I.P.
    1991 Peugeot 205 1.4 XS. On the right road, possibly the most fun of anything I've ever driven.
    1989 Talbot Horizon 1.3. Yeah, yeah, but it was fine - honest.

Neutral

Status
    The part I am looking to get is just the wiring/LED's, not the plastic cover.
    See first page in http://www.harddrive.plus.com/Docume...%20Install.pdf

VAGparts seem to sell something for almost 60, whereas the piece that is referenced in the guide is only 10

Whats the difference?
    Last edited by chanlon1; 31st March 2008 at 12:44.

Boydie
    Is that not just the LED installation??

I paid 60 for the whole unit which was the 2 red led's and the two map lights

do you have the map lights as standard?

There are also 4 different trim colours to match your roof lining - i think mine is "soul" which was not available at the time

basically, vagparts asked me my chassis number and they told me what my interior colour was and sent me out the correct one

get it from vagparts and claim your 10% discount - dont go to agnews chanlon

Send me a pm sure if you want to see mine, have questions or want help in fitting it!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    Is that not just the LED installation??

I paid 60 for the whole unit which was the 2 red led's and the two map lights

do you have the map lights as standard?

There are also 4 different trim colours to match your roof lining - i think mine is "soul" which was not available at the time

basically, vagparts asked me my chassis number and they told me what my interior colour was and sent me out the correct one

get it from vagparts and claim your 10% discount - dont go to agnews chanlon

Send me a pm sure if you want to see mine, have questions or want help in fitting it!
    Do you perhaps have a part number for the one supplied to you by VAGPARTS?
    2012 RS3 / Daytona Grey / Alu pack / revo3+ / LOBA500P / LOBA CNC Intake pipe / LOBA HPFP / Forge Race FMIC / Milltek resonated exhaust / revo intake system / Devils own WMI / 20" BBS CH-R Titanium / H&R Monotube coilovers / H&R Anti Roll bars / Alu Roof rails / Hybrid RS grille / R8 paddle shifters /

Neutral

Status
    I'm pretty sure I already have map lights, in which case I would imagine its just the LED's I need?
    I'll be checking when I get in the car after work.

Boydie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit222 View Post
    Do you perhaps have a part number for the one supplied to you by VAGPARTS?
    I can try get it later by taking it off - will let you know but I am sure there are a few members on here who have access to the files

Or, just contact vagparts, give them your chassis number and they can tell you

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chanlon1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I already have map lights, in which case I would imagine its just the LED's I need?
    I'll be checking when I get in the car after work.
    The LEDs come with the map lights in the interior light pack, so you shouldn't have them, if it was me i would spend the 60 & get the whole trim piece in the right colour to match your trim with the LEDs & the map lights, i couldnt bring myself to drill the trim on a new car.
    S-Line

Boydie
    It should be an easy job - as far as i know, if you take the current trim off, the drill holes will be there on the other side

all you have to do is take the "x" mm drill bit and put two holes through - couldn't be easier!