Ambient LED install help

chanlon1

Reaction score
Website
www.babybmw.net
Hi,
I've a March 07 S3, and am looking at installing the Ambient LED lights.
I emailed my local dealer, and they have one set currently in stcok at 10.37 inc VAT.

I've been reading the following post and the relevant install guide at http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=50993 and have a couple of questions:

a) Is this part suitable for my car? Just want to make sure if I buy them that they'll fit
b) Someone has mentioned different colours? What colours are available?

thanks
Colin

Hiya Chanlon...

you've been reading about titled 'Pigeon pair S3's for our wedding!!' ?? ;)

I asked about the different colour options but I didnt think there was one other than red or are you on about the fitment itself??

Hiya Chanlon...

you've been reading about titled 'Pigeon pair S3's for our wedding!!' ?? ;)

I asked about the different colour options but I didnt think there was one other than red or are you on about the fitment itself??

I missed one number in the link above and hence it redirected to the wrong post!!! Its been corrected now.

Regarding the colour, it was a comment Boydie made:
"I got mine from vag parts - best phone them and give your chassis number so you get the correct colour combination as they did not list my colour when i rang them " - I'm assumming this is in referemce to the colour of the lights?

But one of my underlying questions is, will this part fit my Mar 07 S3?
Do I need to worry about VAGCOM or anything, or is it just as simple as plug 'n' play?

Yes it fits and it just plugs in. VAGparts will ask you some questions about the trim colour and the airbag light. Go for it!

I'd presume nothing when talking to a dealer. ;) I imagine VAGparts will be cheaper though.

Regarding the colour, it was a comment Boydie made:
"I got mine from vag parts - best phone them and give your chassis number so you get the correct colour combination as they did not list my colour when i rang them " - I'm assumming this is in referemce to the colour of the lights?

Hi Chanlon1,

Im 99% sure Boydie is talking about the plastic housing colour NOT the colour of the lights.

The a3 interior is available in all different colours such as Black, grey (2 of) and cream etc, so make sure you ring them with your chassis number to ensure your not dissapointed when it arrives. :o.k:

I assume you mean the LEDs in the ceiling near the rear view mirror?

Before you go for this idea:

I did it about a year ago (on a 3.2 not an S3) and it's easy enough. I do like the glow that it provides, BUT...

The intensity of the glow is linked to the dashboard light brightness setting, so as you dim your dash lights, the LEDs dim too. My problem is that I like my dash lights quite low, which means I can hardly tell that the LEDs are on at all!

So, if you like your dash lights high, or if somebody can post a way of fixing the LEDs to be unaffected by the dash dimmer, then fine. Otherwise (as for me) it may be pretty much a waste of time.

Is that not just the LED installation??

I paid £60 for the whole unit which was the 2 red led's and the two map lights

do you have the map lights as standard?

There are also 4 different trim colours to match your roof lining - i think mine is "soul" which was not available at the time

basically, vagparts asked me my chassis number and they told me what my interior colour was and sent me out the correct one

get it from vagparts and claim your 10% discount - dont go to agnews chanlon

Send me a pm sure if you want to see mine, have questions or want help in fitting it!

Is that not just the LED installation??

I paid £60 for the whole unit which was the 2 red led's and the two map lights

do you have the map lights as standard?

There are also 4 different trim colours to match your roof lining - i think mine is "soul" which was not available at the time

basically, vagparts asked me my chassis number and they told me what my interior colour was and sent me out the correct one

get it from vagparts and claim your 10% discount - dont go to agnews chanlon

Send me a pm sure if you want to see mine, have questions or want help in fitting it!

Do you perhaps have a part number for the one supplied to you by VAGPARTS?

I'm pretty sure I already have map lights, in which case I would imagine its just the LED's I need?
I'll be checking when I get in the car after work.

Do you perhaps have a part number for the one supplied to you by VAGPARTS?

I can try get it later by taking it off - will let you know but I am sure there are a few members on here who have access to the files

Or, just contact vagparts, give them your chassis number and they can tell you

I'm pretty sure I already have map lights, in which case I would imagine its just the LED's I need?
I'll be checking when I get in the car after work.

The LEDs come with the map lights in the interior light pack, so you shouldn't have them, if it was me i would spend the £60 & get the whole trim piece in the right colour to match your trim with the LEDs & the map lights, i couldnt bring myself to drill the trim on a new car.

It should be an easy job - as far as i know, if you take the current trim off, the drill holes will be there on the other side

all you have to do is take the "x" mm drill bit and put two holes through - couldn't be easier!