Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Flat Out

Status

Which diagnostic software for 8P TDI-sport?

Hi,

I have Vag Com installed on my laptop, but this only offers 8L chassis when my car is an 8P, can anybody tell me if it's Vag Can that I require and would I be able to attain a copy?!

My traction control light has remained turned on since I changed the battery last night and I want to see if any sensors are at fault.

Many Thanks

Jen
    Last edited by Red Head; 29th March 2008 at 21:21.
    Turbo Petrol to Turbo Dervvvvvvv

2. # ADS
    ADS

The software VAG-COM is the same, and the same HEX-CAN cable should work. Perhaps you need to go online to www.Ross-Tech.com and get a copy of the latest version of the software. It's free if you've got a genuine cable.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Flat Out

Status
    It's not a genuine cable although it DOES bring up faults, but the software I got with it is in German
    Last edited by Red Head; 29th March 2008 at 21:59.

In that case you may well need to purchase a new genuine cable for VAG-COM. I've just purchase a Micro-CAN cable direct from Ross-Tech in the States. Even with the duty etc it's still cheaper than purchasing from a UK dealer.

I paid 129.00 for the cable + 42.45 shipping (2-3 days by FedEx Express). I then had to pay 19.00 VAT + 6.80 admin fee to FedEx)

You can download the software free from the Ross-Tech website and the cable acts as a 'dongle' ie the software will only work when the cable is attached to the laptop.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Flat Out

Status
    So it works out approximately 200 all in for the cable and then free software on top of that...

A lot of money, but suppose its worth it if you get the full version of the software and it works on a range of VAG cars, and hopefully the 8P!

The Micro-CAN cable works with the 8P and any other VAG models based on the Golf 5 chassis. If you want a cable to work with other VAG cars including other Audis then you will need the HEX-USB-CAN cable which cost a extra $100.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Flat Out

Status
    Yea I saw the Micro-CAN cable but for the extra $100, I would go for the HEX-USB-CAN, would be very useful and hopefully worth the money, will get one ordered up

Thanks

Jen

Ross-Tech are generally very efficient. I ordered mine on Monday and it was delivered on Wednesday.

If I can help at all when you get the cable and the latest software, let me know.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Flat Out

Status
    Ordered the HEX+USB CAN lead there now, fingers crossed it arrives soon.

Thanks
    Last edited by Red Head; 31st March 2008 at 13:36.

Flat Out

Status
    Glad the software is in English this time. Ran a few successful scans but they brought up the same codes as with the German software.

Need to experiment with some other functions.

Glad to hear you got the cable quickly.

If you do need any further help it's worth posting in the ASN VAG-COM forum because the guys from Ross-Tech do keep an eye on that forum and will often be able to offer some help.
    Dave R (h5djr)

Flat Out

Status
    Every day is a school day, must keep an eye on that forum! (if I have time...)