JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

HID conversion kits

dont want to spend a fortune,whats best kit for right money,is 1000k better than say 8000k? whats the diffrence thanks
    Lava grey pearl (A3 2.0 TDI sport 140) 2004

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boydie
    the k refers to degrees kelvin

1000k will be yellowy white
    2000k will be whiteer
    6000k blueywhite
    8000k xenon blue (what I have)

Personally I would go for H7 (bulb shape) 6000K or 8000K and get them properly allighed and have your light level switch set to 3

A rough guide

Last edited by Boydie; 29th March 2008 at 19:27.

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for your advice mate,much appreciated

1st Gear

Status
    easy to retro fit?

Boydie
    yeah but you will need to butcher your access lid to put the bulbs through - its a grand job as you are supplied with a water tight gommit

1st Gear

Status
    have you done your fogs aswell?

Status
    Worth doing a search in the 8p forum as this has been discussed quite a bit recently. http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread....ghlight=xenons this thread was probably the biggest and covers the legal aspects of aftermarket xenons.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

If you wish to read the Department for Transport Fact Sheet on the subject use this link:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for the help and the links fellas

Boydie
    Havent done my fogs would plan to in the future as the bluey xenon light against the yellowy fog looks crap!

***** rent boy

Status
    Don't go higher than 6000k, whatever you do.

1st Gear

Status
    any reason for this mate?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiLad View Post
    any reason for this mate?
    The higher up the temperature range (kelvins) you go, the less the actual light output given, anything above 6000k will look purple/blue which not only looks crap imo but will offer poor lighting performance,

Most oem set-ups are around 4300K, although i suppose it's whether your doing the retro fit to get better lighting performance or purely for styling reasons...

1st Gear

Status
    both to be honest,but i was driving back from my girlfriends the other night along some dark backroads and i noticed that without my highbeam my normal headlights were actually pretty poor and i couldnt see that far. For this reason has it made me consider them. Are they actually that much better lighting and visibilty wise to your average halogen setup?

Xenons are definitely much better than the normal halogen lights but can be expensive if you do the job properly and fit the required auto-levelling and headlamp washers.

Perhaps a starting point would be to just upgrade your dip beam bulbs to one the 80% more light bulbs produced by Philips and Osram. I've have OEM Xenons on my current A3 but have used the 50% more light versions on all my previous A3s and they were certainly an improve on the standard.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

1st Gear

Status
    i had the phillips ones and one of the bulbs went so i put my originials back in,but i thought they were a waste of money to be honest. no difference and if there was, not to the point were i noticed the diffrence

Boydie
    My 8k hid's are awesome to be honest - must have something to do with model or manufacture

I can see much better ahead of me than my mates S3 with xenons!

***** rent boy

Status
    The optimum colour temperature is around 5000k, which is the closest to natural daylight and produces very little glare (providing you don't have them pointing too high). Anything higher than 6000k and you're sacrificing looks for useability.

Are you going to keep the existing headlights without the projector lenses, or upgrade? If you stick with the halogen headlights you're going to cause a lot of glare in any colour temperature.

Turbo is the only way....

Status
    Totally agree with Golf. Anything above 6000K gives off a bluish tone that actually reduces amount of light coming through.

I would suggest not to go with the conversion if you are doning it withouth the projector lens. Its really annoying to the oncoming traffic.

To save some $$ I am actually using the Phillips bulb (about 4500K) and I see much better than the stock ones. IMO HID is not my priority in mods and rather spend it on something else.
    A3 2.0T Sportback DSG.

Engine / Trans:
    K04, Unitronic Stg II+ & DSG Stg II, S3 Injectors and Intercooler, APR F/Pump. BSH Intake, Forge DV, Oettinger Turbo Outlet, Eurojet throttle pipe, Milltek TBE. SP Meth Injection.

Brakes and Suspension:
    Brembo 6 pot w/ 345mm slotted disks, TT front suspension, HPA Coliovers, OZ Palladio, 225/40/18 BS RE001

Others:
    S3 Front, Pedals, & Mirrors, 09 SB Skirts & LED Rear Lights, Original HID retrofit, Oettinger Roof Spoiler. Defi Turbo Guage, FBMFSW