Crap Alarm

I agree with you to a degree, but unfortuately it will never happen. Out of our 20 house only 6 have men living in them. The rest are elderly OAPs or and a couple of young single ladies.

I'm sure that if Garry Newlove had just 3 other men confronting those lads with him, they'd have scarpered instead of setting upon him. They set upon him because he was alone against a group of them, he was out-numbered. At least a loud alarm has the chance of alerting me to the fact that something is going on, and I can perhaps help anybody whose car is being stolen. If enough of us go out to help the victim, the thief would just run away.

Nah, there's shitloads going off... you just cant hear them

Must be all Audi's where Bowfer lives!!

Bowfer - How much noise does your Alpina alarm make?

I'm sure that if Garry Newlove had just 3 other men confronting those lads with him, they'd have scarpered instead of setting upon him. They set upon him because he was alone against a group of them, he was out-numbered. At least a loud alarm has the chance of alerting me to the fact that something is going on, and I can perhaps help anybody whose car is being stolen. If enough of us go out to help the victim, the thief would just run away.

Maybe, but the police advice is always - Do not intervene. After all it's only a car. Cars can be replaced - people cannot.

Having done a little research on the noise from car alarms the facts are as follows:

The noise from car alarms is covered by The Audible Motor Vehicle Alarms Act 2005 that came into force on 1 January 2007.

The relevant section covering car alarms reads:

99A (3) The audible motor vehicle alarm of a motor vehicle to which this regulation applies-
(a) may not at any time emit a noise exceeding 55 decibels
(b) may not emit a noise for a continuous period of more than ninety seconds
(c) may not emit a noise for more than ninety seconds in response to a single vent initiating the emitting of a noise, and
(d) shall be maintained in good working order so as to comply with the requirements of sub-paragraphs (a) to (c)

So whats the point of having a LED fitted if you can not hardly see it!!!!
Is it possible for the LED to be turn up (made brighter) since LED'S should be bright or is that down to EU regs.
:banghead:

So whats the point of having a LED fitted if you can not hardly see it!!!!
Is it possible for the LED to be turn up (made brighter) since LED'S should be bright or is that down to EU regs.

As far I can can see there is no way to make the LED brighter using VAG-COM and they UK regulation make no mention od the LED or any other indicator for that matter.

Agree with bowfer here cant do any halm if a car is fitted with an LEDS. Also i recon a good majority of people who break into cars aint all there i.e drugs or booze and a flashing light could kinda wake them upto the fact that it might be alarmed.

Also agreeing with keeping an eye out on other belongings, if there wernt some half decent people left what would this country be like?? Even worst than it is atm!

Don't know on that one. Not sure if it only applies to cars manufactured in the EU or cars sold in the EU. Or perhaps Audi just want their owner's to be good neighbours!! Is your wife's Toyota made in the EU or elsewhere? How old is it?

I know what happens when you set the alarm - does it just flash the lights or blip the siren etc can be changed using VAG-COM but there are notes to say 'Check local regualations' because I think that area is also covered by some EU regs.

I'd imagine it was made in Japan but its the same year as mine, but definately louder -

looking at your other post about limits, 55db is very quiet! Interesting legislation eh!

The alarm (factory) fitted on my mk5 gti vw is/was louder than the one on my Audi
must agree regarding LED's - very poor

My last car golf mk4 PD-150 the alarm (factory) fitted was also louder than the one on my Audi,plus the leds on the two doors were brighter.
:busted_cop: