GSM Prep.... Seriously, does anyone use it?!

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Unfortunately my car came with the eyesore that is the GSM phone preparation, dash mounted.
As pretty much all phone's are compatible with the bluetooth system, really what is the point in specifying the GSM phone prep?? I'm confused why anyone would pay £385 extra for Audi to ruin the dashboard when the car already has bluetooth.
Every single person who gets into my car says the same thing "oh i don't need one of those, my car's got bluetooth. It's a shame someone put that cradle thing there isn't it?".

I wouldn't mind it so much if i could actually USE it. Apparently they still haven't released a cradle for the Samsung U600 which has been out for over a year. So why install technology into cars which they can't be bothered to keep updated?! Pointless if you ask me!

Maybe i'm missing something here but seriously....Does anyone use the phone prep and what are the advantages?!

Paul.

My understanding is that you have to have the phone prep to get the bluetooth functionality

The arm rest phone prep is much better as it doesn't ruin your dash

GSM phone prep is the bluetooth phone system. As consilio says the arm rest cradle option is the best way of hiding the cradle mount but that didnt become available until mid-late 06. It really bugged me that I had the cradle mount on the dash but all the cradles were for obsolete phones.

Thats not how i understand it though... I can use the bluetooth without having any contact with the GSM cradle whatsoever and all cars come with bluetooth but the GSM cradle is an option. Does the cradle enable you to access all your phones options through the car stereo whereas the bluetooth doesn't? (i'm probably wrong). The GSM cradle actually has active connection points for the phone so it doesn't operate via bluetooth/wireless.

It's all bizarre to me!

Paul.

The cradle is part of the the GSM package you cant get bluetooth without it, it never has been an option to delete the cradle. Thats why the armrest option is the best one as its hidden away. Even though you dont need to use it for bluetooth if you do use it all it will do is connect your phone to the external antenna and charge it.

I have the arm rest prep but like you, have never used it!!

I thought the GSM prep included the bluetooth functionality otherwise i wouldnt have specced it :huh:

You CAN access the phonebook through the steering wheel and activate caller display If your using a nokia phone (Very nice to have) using the bluetooth connection. Theres a thread on it somewhere, and i highly recommend it. :icon_thumright:

I don't understand any of that! I have spec'd gsm phone prep in armrest as i didn't think the car had bluetooth capability at all? I thought it worked by plugging your phone into the cradle which then linked it to the speakers etc?

Right so let me get this straight... You HAVE to have a GSM cradle to have a bluetooth function on the car? Even thought the whole point of bluetooth is to be wireless?
So why is this, when all my mates with Vauxhall Astras, Ford Focus' etc all have bluetooth with no need for any ugly cradle?

To me the whole point of having a cradle to connect the phone to the car and having wireless bluetooth as well totally contradict each other.

I understand what you guys are saying but i still don't get it. Doesn't make any sense. Maybe i'm semi-retarded when it comes to in-car technology.

the fact its called GSM Phone prep may be a bit misleading... as I read that at first as the thing you are getting is GSM phone prep rather than getting prep for your GSM phone.

So the £385 that you pay is for the BT functionality and interface with the DIS/Armrest/DashMonsterosity. Without that, you wouldnt have the inbuilt kit to interface your GSM phone with the car?

You dont have to have the cradle to get the phone working now...just the prep!

Does that make sense??? :wacko:

Don't get this problem with BMW's you know....

*Runs for cover* :haha:

hahaha yeah you do... at least with the N95's you do... BMW's are rubbish, Audis are great... fact!

*although really not based on fact at all, just a complete load of ********* :p

I retro-fitted Bluetooth into my car - just had to install the bluetooth box underneatht the passenger seat and that's it. Why didn't i have to install the stupid cradle thing if you have to have it when you spec it? It works ok without it...

Don't get this problem with BMW's you know....

*Runs for cover* :haha:

Mate you don't get these problems with Fords and Vauxhalls. Audi just over complicate EVERYTHING :banghead:

Cheers for that kontraband i do understand the principle of what you're saying but it seems insane that i can operate my phone through the car via bluetooth with no use or requirement for a cradle whatsoever... and yet apparently you must have a cradle to get bluetooth function and there's no option for deleting the cradle should you not require one. Surely that's just Audi being awkward and forcing extras onto you for the sake of it to squeeze more money from the customer? The good old..."yes you can have this but you must specify X, Y and Z as well...It's a package".
You only have to have a go on the car configurator on the Audi site to realise that! :keule:

I retro-fitted Bluetooth into my car - just had to install the bluetooth box underneatht the passenger seat and that's it. Why didn't i have to install the stupid cradle thing if you have to have it when you spec it? It works ok without it...

EXACTLY! The cradle just sits there and it doesn't operate via bluetooth, it has it's own direct connectors to the phone.

I've just ordered another Audi and not specced the GSM this time as I don't think its worth the money, Audi have just released a cradle for my Nokia 6300 but its now on back order at the factory !

The connection is often lost when using bluetooth and the constant 'Bing Bongs' drive me nuts - I'm opting for an aftermarket set up next time and will use the multi buttons just for stereo controls.

£385 easily buys a portable sat nav with Bluetooth and speed camera sites plus the annual subscription charges, I have to say the GSM is one of the few things on the Audi i don't rate.

I've just ordered another Audi and not specced the GSM this time as I don't think its worth the money, Audi have just released a cradle for my Nokia 6300 but its now on back order at the factory !

The connection is often lost when using bluetooth and the constant 'Bing Bongs' drive me nuts - I'm opting for an aftermarket set up next time and will use the multi buttons just for stereo controls.

£385 easily buys a portable sat nav with Bluetooth and speed camera sites plus the annual subscription charges, I have to say the GSM is one of the few things on the Audi i don't rate.

Well this is something else which annoys me...whoever at Audi it was who spec'd this car ticked the box for the £385 phone prep but no electric folding door mirrors or heated seats.....Go figure.
On the subject of sat nav... with the use of velcro thats all my GSM cradle will be used for....a sat nav holder.

By the way Spin140...What have you ordered this time?

All sounds a bit odd/cack to me. On the sat nav front I have a navman with bluetooth and it's rubbish, can't hear people, they can't hear me etc. My wife has a Parrot LS3200 (i think) which is great half the time but if your phone rings when you are just getting in the car or you get a text as you are switching off it disconnects and deletes the pairing which is a right fag.

If i understand it then the phone prep is the whole bluetooth thing and as aprt of it they have to supply a cradle although not actually required to use it to use your phone in the car?!

I had a 2.0 Leon tdi FR on test a week or so ago and whilst it was a pig to drive, made the kids feel sick, it had built in bluetooth that whilst slow with the controls was really good quality

yeah PHN80, im thinking though that the cradle is the actual attachment that you get in the armrest to put your phone in, where as I have an armrest with the little gold attachments in it but no actual cradle as there isnt one for N95.

Like you say, its all a bit ******.

Oh, and maybe in the phone prep you get the talky woman shoved in the boot too??

On a similar note, someone just posted in the A4 forum that they can remove the cradle on dash no problem and still have the BT function... :wtf:

All sounds a bit odd/cack to me. On the sat nav front I have a navman with bluetooth and it's rubbish, can't hear people, they can't hear me etc. My wife has a Parrot LS3200 (i think) which is great half the time but if your phone rings when you are just getting in the car or you get a text as you are switching off it disconnects and deletes the pairing which is a right fag.

Gota Parrot 3200 (I think) in the wifes car and sync's superbly with great sound clarity - £140 fitted.

@spin - hers is great quality when it's working, got to change phones for her next month so that may help it as current Samsung not loving being paired to the parrot!

TT-S, due October/November (ish)
Before everyone starts on the Porsche Cayman comparison I need occasional rear seats for my one year old daughter.

Very nice mate. I'll avoid starting a debate but if it's your only car it's a good choice, the Cayman lacks a bit on the interior. TT offers a bit more luxury and every day useability.
Where in Derbyshire are you? Might have a drive past and check it out when it arrives!

You're putting a one year old in and out of a TT?
Blimey, I hope you have a strong back!:salute:

Both of the factory GSM systems (armrest and dashboard) are bluetooth. They are a little picky when it comes to which phones they will play with. There is also a batch of flaky bluetooth modules around (have a look for GeoffTs thread) If you use a phone cradle (as I sometimes do as I have a Nokia 6021) the bluetooth connection is dropped and all connections are done over good old wires. When using the cradle the phone is charged and also uses the roof antenna.

Hope this helps.

£385 easily buys a portable sat nav with Bluetooth and speed camera sites

Can I get bluetooth (Samsung U600) to work with my TomTom XL?
Can I fu.....:banghead:

The list of compatible phones on TomTom's website is like stepping back in time.

@spin - hers is great quality when it's working, got to change phones for her next month so that may help it as current Samsung not loving being paired to the parrot!

This may well be the case as wife did have some sync issues with her previous samsung but it has been fine since getting an updated version - I think the new one is a Sam G600 but I could be wrong - she doesn't get a choice in the matter as she works for Samsung so company issue.

You're putting a one year old in and out of a TT?
Blimey, I hope you have a strong back!:salute:

I know not the most practical but it's classed as the 2nd car useage wise so she normally rides up front with the airbag disengaged. Since I've had the S3 I've only used the rear seats 3 times so should be fine.

Spin

That's interesting, it would appear Samsungs have pairing problems 'in general'?

Can I get bluetooth (Samsung U600) to work with my TomTom XL?
Can I fu.....:banghead:

The list of compatible phones on TomTom's website is like stepping back in time.

Perhaps I need to do a little more research bluetooth wise before its too late to amend my order GSM wise, I know if I did spec it again i would have to have the cradle which inflates the cost to £485.

It may be the samsung phone creating the issues but agree the Tom Tom's site should be more user friendly.

Don't trust the configurator, it's quite often wrong as it isn't Audi that maintain it. (e.g. to have bucket seats in an S3, you must also choose a first aid kit!)

They made the bluetooth only (no cradle at all, dash or armrest) an option on new cars earlier this year. I can't remember the date but I do know it's available, a guy I work with chose it for his.

Ah so the boffins at Audi have realised there's no need to force a cradle on people who only want bluetooth...How decent of them! Can't believe something so simple can be made so ridiculously complicated!

Don't trust the configurator, it's quite often wrong as it isn't Audi that maintain it. (e.g. to have bucket seats in an S3, you must also choose a first aid kit!)

They made the bluetooth only (no cradle at all, dash or armrest) an option on new cars earlier this year. I can't remember the date but I do know it's available, a guy I work with chose it for his.

are they saying then that people that order bucket seats will drive more recklessly and need a first aid kit?? ... how caring! :wtf:

are they saying then that people that order bucket seats will drive more recklessly and need a first aid kit?? ... how caring! :wtf:

Don't S3's abroad come with a fire extinguisher?... What does that tell you?! lol

Hi guys,

Can anyone confirm whether the GSM Armrest Prep & Bluetooth works ok with a Sony Ericsson K850i? And if it does, do I need to get some sort of adaptor?

My first post by the way. Excellent site. Lots of useful info :thumbsup:

Personally i have no idea but if you have a car on order, give Audi a call and ask. They should know, and if they don't.....Ask if you can call in and try it yourself.

Jeez for all this hassle I would just order an aftermarket kit - the Parrots are great devices and I don't have any issues with them in the fleet of 50 cars that come under my IT wing. All used with varying makes and models of phones including Blackberries (7100, Pearl, Curve etc)

Have yet to find a phone that doesn't work (but we don't have Samsung's as work phones......).

Hi guys,

Can anyone confirm whether the GSM Armrest Prep & Bluetooth works ok with a Sony Ericsson K850i? And if it does, do I need to get some sort of adaptor?

My first post by the way. Excellent site. Lots of useful info :thumbsup:

Yes it will work fine and no you don't need(or will be able to get) a cradle for it.

This is kind of been blown out of proportion really. If people dont like the dash mount then dont buy a car with it as it looks pants, when I had my car there was no option apart from the dash mount and you soon get used to it. The actual GSM phone prep is really good and intergrates with the RNS-E and MFSW superbly it outweighed the fact I had a mount on the dash or i wouldnt have ordered it. The call quality is also superior to aftermarket kits such as the CK3100 and Nokia kits. Ther only downside to it is the time it takes for new cradles to come out, in the 18 months I had my car they never made a SE K800i cradle and thats such a popular phone. The only proplem I had was the phone dropping the connection intemittently which was fixed with a SE firmware upgrade(it turned out the Audi didnt like syncing with +44 numbers in the recent call lists with the original firmware).