How to change the gear knob/stick & gator.

PNH80

Low life livin' the high life.
Reaction score
Alright chaps...
I'm going to be changing over the standard s-line gear knob tomorrow and swapping it for the solid brushed alloy one. Should be a nice addition.
Anyway i haven't even tried removing the old one yet obviously because if it doesn't go as smoothly as i anticipate i still have to drive the car!

So, has anyone done this? Is there anything i need? Do i have to remove the whole of the gearstick surrounding trim to release it or what?

Just trying to avoid any schoolboy errors!

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

Paul

Here is a PDF from the workshop manual which may help...

gear selector cover .pdf

If you need anything else let me know.

Cheers for that Dave, top man.

The only thing is, sometimes workshop manuals don't give the full story! For example the manual might say to simply remove A, push down B, insert C and job done! Other than the pliers it doesn't suggest any other tools or if there's risk of snapping any clips etc.

Yes that's true. A dealer will often have a box full of all types of clips etc so if the technician does brake one it's no real problem. Sometimes the workshop manual does give a warning that a clip for example is very easy to break when it's removed or that a new one should always be fitted, but nothing in this case as far as I can see, apart from the clip on the bottom of the actual gear stick which I think it says you have to break off and replace with a new one.

The manual is also aimed at technicians who have already done some basic courses with Audi.

Sort of on topic, but how do you straighten up a gear knob? Mines a bit on the **** :p
regards:icon_thumright:

I would imagine it's a case of literally just twisting it!

I did try that, but no give, so i gave it a bit more pressure, but stopped as i thought "this is gonna break" :p

I did try that, but no give, so i gave it a bit more pressure, but stopped as i thought "this is gonna break" :p

Have you looked at the PDF file that Dave posted above ^?
The answer is probably in there. I think i'm right in saying you have to screw the stick on at the base and then secure it with a permanent clip. I.e. if yours is on the **** it would involve taking off all the surrounding trim, lifting up the gator and adjusting it at the bottom. Sounds like a ball-ache to me!!

Paul.

By the way.... Am i right in thinking Audi make EVERYTHING impossible to change yourself and twice as expensive by interlinking components e.g. you can't just change the gear knob, you have to change the whole job lot and to do that you have to dismantle half the car. I mean for f**k sake!

its simple

Open your ash tray

Pull the trim around the gear stick and pull at the front - this will easily remove the trim.

Bring the trim up over the gear knob - basically turn it inside out

There is a clip wraped round the shaft of the gear knob - this can be pried off easily and hey presto, the gear knob is off

unfortunately you need a special tool to put the clip back on :( therefore mine doesnt have it attached but it is impossible for the knob to spin on the gear stick

this could be solved by using a cable tie or going to your dealer and get them to attach it but i wouldnt worry

its simple

Open your ash tray

Pull the trim around the gear stick and pull at the front - this will easily remove the trim.

Bring the trim up over the gear knob - basically turn it inside out

There is a clip wraped round the shaft of the gear knob - this can be pried off easily and hey presto, the gear knob is off

unfortunately you need a special tool to put the clip back on :( therefore mine doesnt have it attached but it is impossible for the knob to spin on the gear stick

this could be solved by using a cable tie or going to your dealer and get them to attach it but i wouldnt worry

any idea if the tt screw on knob will fit an a3 sline 07 8p model? If not how can I get it to fit?

any idea if the tt screw on knob will fit an a3 sline 07 8p model? If not how can I get it to fit?

Hi Dan, yes it will fit mate. I have a TT mk2 knob for sale in mint condition if interested mate? Send me a PM if you are.

Miss read the post mate, sorry not sure if the screw one will go, but definately the pull off one will fit.
Sorry again if i have given wrong info.

do audi 8v manual gear knob fit the s3 8p gear knob?

Love to know the answer too

do audi 8v manual gear knob fit the s3 8p gear knob?
I remember reading in another thread that if you want the new alloy gear knob in the 8v your best to get the one out of an A1. Can't remember the reasoning or thread!

Ordered one today from Audi stung a bit £113

Same price everywhere for original part

S l500

I did mine this morning, took 10 minutes to change.

Bought a S3 gear knob and trim from Latvia, perfect and genuine Audi.

Nice addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: S.