Rust

sat1983

Reaction score
It could be perfectly normal but I was just wondering if any of you had any rust on the metal round part (excuse my ignorance) just behind the rear brake disks. If you could have a good look I'd appreciate it. My A3 isn't 2 years old yet.

Get a picture up, if its part of the bodywork or structure i'd get it looked at, if its part of the suspension then I wouldn't worry.

I've got 'rusty' patches visible inside the wheels just infront of the discs...So i suppose you'd call that the hub. Mine's an 07 so obviously nothing to do with age! Bit of an eyesore though.

The disk bell, and yes it's normal unfortunately...not a hard job to fix yourself though.

The disk bell, and yes it's normal unfortunately...not a hard job to fix yourself though.

I haven't made any steps to get rid of it yet but when i do... whats the best method? Sand it off and wipe on some WD40 or similar? Obviously avoiding any contact with the discs!

I mentioned this when I had my S3 serviced a couple of weeks ago and they know that people are unhappy with this.
At my dealer (Stratford Audi) they will repaint the hubs for free.
Why don't you give them a call and see what they use?

prt

But should the hubs really be painted at all? I could easily do my own with some hammerite / matt finish metal spray but i'd rather just treat the metal if possible.

Smoothrite is what you need. Seen someone post on here who'd painted their hubs (and callipers).

Will probably do mine in the summer.