New A3 owner.. Common Mods?

Adibutti

Derv Boy
Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first post on here. i have just bought a Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport. it is a 03 reg with full leather interior.

abit of history about me.. i am a frequent user of Seatcupra.net as i have owned an FR and Cupra R in the past two years..

i have resently been promoted so i am having to use my own car for work purposes...the Cupra R is not to good on petrol. :sob: i am not a stranger to Modding a car.. i had a custom code stage one remapp done on the R with a few other little things.. :yahoo:

back on the subject.. i have always liked the A3. but as you will all know they hold there value very well. but since i had a Curpa R to trade in i got one.

i was wondering if there is any mods that are a common thing on the A3 that every1 likes to do.. little things.. like for the seat it was sunglasses holder and Fabia rear wiper.. i did notice the A3 does not have a sunglasses holder. i would really like one!

i look forward to hearing from you all. and hope i can help every1 as much as you can help me to enjoy the Audi.

looking forward to good MPG for once!! :hubbahubba:

Firstly welcome to the forum, you're in the right place for good advice on you motor. Personally i'm not going to offer advice on modding a non s-line diesel because i wouldn't have a clue where to start! I'm sure plenty of others will have experience to share though.
Congrats on the new car...Enjoy it.

Hey mate - welcome aboard!

check out my A3 in my sig for some modding inspiration!

But remap is first on the cards along with a bit of lowering, wheel change if necessary

Have you an armrest?? its essential lol

I changed my trim in the car from piano key to fishscale which is a nice alumium look to it

I also added S3 gear knob, hand brake and pedals

There are lots of different small things you can do to the a3 to make it individual from all the others

Hey mate - welcome aboard!

check out my A3 in my sig for some modding inspiration!

But remap is first on the cards along with a bit of lowering, wheel change if necessary

Have you an armrest?? its essential lol

I changed my trim in the car from piano key to fishscale which is a nice alumium look to it

I also added S3 gear knob, hand brake and pedals

There are lots of different small things you can do to the a3 to make it individual from all the others

you talk about a remapp... just a few things.. i would be looking at a remapp.. i was pushing out 275bhp in my Cup R so i think this will bring me back down to earth with the 140 Audi.. i really enjoyed the Custom Code remapp.. just one thing. does the clutch need to be changed? i only ask as when i owned an FR it was commen knowledge after a few 1000 miles the clutch was ******** after a remapp. i had a clutch replaced after 14k miles. :keule:

also is there any other mods that are needed for the smooth running of a stage one Mapp?

I am remapped to 175bhp and 300lb/ft - my slips very very slightly if i am in high gear and try to accelerate from low revs, simple solution, dont do it lol

I have had mine in for a while now and had no problems with it and is spot on!

what you will find with the 2.0tdi is how smooth is it standard and even with the map it is extremely smooth!

I find the 140 a little rough compared to other diesels, my previous car - 2.0 TDi Golf was remapped, 182bhp 405Nm and that started to slip - again only in high gears after 25k ( car had covered 53k ) I took the map off and all was well, mine was a superchips map.

I searched for an armrest for my TDI sport for ages, still no joy :(

Derv doctor do uprated dump valves for mapped TDi's. The other thing you could look to do is upgrade the dogbone mount bushes to polyurethane mounts. They only cost a few quid and stop the engine tipping back so hard on strong acceleration increasing traction. Also this mod isn't an insurance breaker!

I am an ex-Cupra R owner from SCN, so welcome mate ;-)

cheers warrencox. good 2 know am not the only ex Cupra R owner. just gettin to grips with driving a derv again!

looking forward to spending the summer nights tampering with the A3 :eek:)

Is this thread about remaps? LOL. Check my sig for the mods I've done/doing....whats the spec of your car? What do you want out of it? How much you wanna spend?

Deisels do not have dump valves and should NEVER be fitted to one!!!!

Welcome Adibutti!

Glad to know there will be another guy who will be spending endless hours on this forum instead of doing real work!!

I guess I would put a remap first as it offers the most "bang for the buck". Then I guess it depends if you want to do a "bling mobil" or a "sheep in Wolf's Clothing"

I think most of us here are of the latter type. Check out my sig to see what has been done.

Enjoy your Ride!

It uses the brake vacuum to open the valve as there's not enough boost pressure to do it once you lift of the gas...

As diesels do not have a throttle, there's no build up of pressure when taking your foot off the 'gas'. In addition, they have a variable vane turbo so this adjusts the boost as it rises to limit the pressure.

Fitting a dump valve to a diesel would only serve to reduce the pressure just when you need it, ie changing gear and would reduce performance. Petrols on the other hand benefit from using one to keep the turbo spinning when closing the throttle and in addition this prevents the turbo from being damaged due to the pressure wave that is produced.

Welcome Adibutti!
Then I guess it depends if you want to do a "bling mobil" or a "sheep in Wolf's Clothing"

i have always been a wolf in sheeps clothing.. i just like nice OEM mods. not all this crappy body kit and all that. i would rather have power then a ton of kit bolted on.

As diesels do not have a throttle, there's no build up of pressure when taking your foot off the 'gas'. In addition, they have a variable vane turbo so this adjusts the boost as it rises to limit the pressure.

Fitting a dump valve to a diesel would only serve to reduce the pressure just when you need it, ie changing gear and would reduce performance. Petrols on the other hand benefit from using one to keep the turbo spinning when closing the throttle and in addition this prevents the turbo from being damaged due to the pressure wave that is produced.

TBH most of that is really poor info and not good.