Best place to source an RNS-E?

maars

Full speed ahead
Reaction score
I'd like to retro-fit one into my A3. Where's the best place to look? ebay is a tad barren these days...

There are a few guys on navplus.us selling but i find they're very overpriced. I have just ordered mine from a guy on ebay and should be getting it this week. I'll give you his contact details as soon as i'm actually holding the unit as i'd hate him to scam me AND you! Send me a pm so i don't forget.

R

Thanks richardn.

I've budgeted ~£500 and fancy having a go at fitting it myself.
Is it easy enough to enable VIM?

I paid £600 for mine but it includes everything needed to do the install as well as the maps and support. I think i could have gotten it for £550 but i couldn't be bothered to wait. :)

It seems VERY easy to install the unit so i'm also going to give it a bash myself. I'll post pics even though there are plenty of guys that have already made step by step instructions on www.navplus.us.

Setting up VIM is also quite easy. Have a good look around navplus and you'll get all the info you need. PM me if you need any more help or don't understand something and i'll do my best to assist you.

P.S Also do the ambient light retrofit (just the LED's) it's VERY easy and awesome!

What do they do i.e. whats the effect?

Make things red?

Back to the plot please... post your RNS-e sources here please...

As above - no probs with the seller either. Paid about £450 + postage (£20 I think) + foreign bank transfer cost at about £20-£30 depending on your bank. Then a nice easy fit and a bit of vag-com coding and you're done :).

there is one on ebay at the moment but going by the rns e thread its from an a6 so dont know if it will fit.

I also got my RNS-E from nikin777, and had no problems.

I would be worried about doing it again though, as he does seem to have a lot of negative feedback now. Also, he states that the reason he does not take Paypal is that it is not possible in Lithuania. I don't think this is true as I am sure I have seen Lithuanian sellers since who did take Paypal.

With money transfer you have absolutely no comeback if he fails to deliver (and the banking fees are about £20-25 as well).

BTW the RNS-E is not all it's cracked up to be IMO. Flawed firmware and no customisable POIs within the Nav for speed cameras etc. Have a look at one of the new Kenwood Double DIN DNX8220BTs instead. 7" Touch Screen, runs Garmin with customisable POIs, Parrot Bluetooth, and much better MP3 play options including Ipod interface with full accessibility and track names on screen. Makes the RNS-E look like a steam radio by comparison. (puts tin hat on!!)

Bought my RNS-E on eBay from a vendor called "Topsatnav". The great thing is he's based in Hanwell, West London, and I was able to drop in to see the unit working before handing over £425 which included a cable adapter, DVD and GPS receiver. Add £9 for a set of removal keys from Germany and you're all set.

If you've got Symphony II, the above is all you need to get started. Click the link in my signature below for some basic instructions! ;)

there this one on at the moment, and he is linking into the forum for answers to the questions... I wonder if hes on here??

does it interface with the MFSW car controls as well?
Yes - no interface needed, the MFSW "talks" on the CAN bus which the RNS-E is connected to. You just need to code the MFSW and RNS-E correctly with VAG-COM.

Is it possible to convert an RNS-e intended for an A4 to fit an A3? Can you just change the surround?

There are a few guys on navplus.us selling but i find they're very overpriced. I have just ordered mine from a guy on ebay and should be getting it this week. I'll give you his contact details as soon as i'm actually holding the unit as i'd hate him to scam me AND you! Send me a pm so i don't forget.

R

Any news on yours? Did you get it?

Beddie told me no, the A3s unit has rounded corners as opposed to the A4s being square!! Hope this helps..

Just wondering if the surround unclipped and could be swapped?

Erm not quite, the car has been out and about 3 times in the past 4 weeks. Been a little busy with my new born son!! :jump:

Is it possible to convert an RNS-e intended for an A4 to fit an A3? Can you just change the surround?
Many of the "A3" RNS-E's on eBay are actually A4 RNS-E's with an A3 faceplate fitted.

How can you tell? When you connect to the RNS-E using VAG-COM the part number comes up as "8E0 035 192 x" - which means it's an A4 unit.

There's no problem with that, it will work EXACTLY the same as an A3 unit - but describing it as an A3 unit is not 100% accurate, it's an A4 unit that has been converted to an A3 unit.

Many of the "A3" RNS-E's on eBay are actually A4 RNS-E's with an A3 faceplate fitted.

How can you tell? When you connect to the RNS-E using VAG-COM the part number comes up as "8E0 035 192 x" - which means it's an A4 unit.

There's no problem with that, it will work EXACTLY the same as an A3 unit - but describing it as an A3 unit is not 100% accurate, it's an A4 unit that has been converted to an A3 unit.

does it make any difference then? just thinking if the a4 ones are a little cheaper - makes sence to get that doesn it?

if the a4 ones are a little cheaper - makes sense to get that doesn it?
No - because the faceplate is a completely different size and shape and won't fit!

So you would need to buy a working A4 RNS-E AND a broken A3 RNS-E and swap the faceplate... why not let the seller go through all the hassle for you!?

I also got my RNS-E from nikin777, and had no problems.

I would be worried about doing it again though, as he does seem to have a lot of negative feedback now. Also, he states that the reason he does not take Paypal is that it is not possible in Lithuania. I don't think this is true as I am sure I have seen Lithuanian sellers since who did take Paypal.

With money transfer you have absolutely no comeback if he fails to deliver (and the banking fees are about £20-25 as well).

BTW the RNS-E is not all it's cracked up to be IMO. Flawed firmware and no customisable POIs within the Nav for speed cameras etc. Have a look at one of the new Kenwood Double DIN DNX8220BTs instead. 7" Touch Screen, runs Garmin with customisable POIs, Parrot Bluetooth, and much better MP3 play options including Ipod interface with full accessibility and track names on screen. Makes the RNS-E look like a steam radio by comparison. (puts tin hat on!!)

Have you fitted this unit? Im tempted for my future co. car!