Audi Broken Into - Advice Needed

retired_audi

Reaction score
Ive got an 06 Audi A3 S-Line 2.0T, and about 20 mins ago I went out to the car, and the door was ajar and it had been robbed. They took my iPod, and left my ray ban sunglasses, which werent to their taste which im quite offended about!

Seriously tho, Im ****** because the car was on the drive the door was shut and locked. How did they break in without the alarms going off?!?! There is a small amount of damage to the inside of the door and thats it? Do you think I should report this to audi, because personally I want to know what the hell happened to the alarm! Why is it so damn easy to break into! The took my fecking CD wallet the *******!

Two options, IMO.

1/ The alarm did go off but you didn't hear it. They are really feeble and will reset themselves quite quickly (blame EU anti-noise laws for this).
2/ Did they use a wire to pull the door cable? Maybe breaking in that way bypasses the alarm, as the car will register it as a key entry?

Maybe that's why they chose the door option, rather than smashing the glass.

Im pretty sure the alarm didnt go off, I only have a humble home, although it has double glazing, Im still certain I would have heard it.

I thought these modern vehicles were hard to get into! Its horrible to think some scummers have been all over my leather seats.

I was just hoping there would be some warrenty option or something, mainly to fix the damage done to the inside of the door.

Thats just pants some ******** breaking into and possibly ruining your motor.

You know for what they grab its probably worth peanuts (no disrespect to your gear here but in general) to sell on to some other scumbag. Whats the fu*king point. Is it for kicks/drugs etc etc.

I would be a bit ****** off to on the alarm front as well. I agree with you. You would hope your pride and joy is safe and that Audi as well as other makes put the effort into making your car ******** resistant. Maybe a tall order as there's always a way i guess but never the less your let down.

I hope the damage can be resolved and insurance stump up for any loss.

If you don't mind when things a bit calmer if you can post back how it was done as much to give other owners some insight to a possible weakness or alarm issues.

Sorry mate.
Jas

I'm guessing they used a wire to hook the door cable.
So the car just registered that as a manual key entry (not a remote plip entry) and the alarm won't trigger.
They won't be able to drive off using that method, but they will get in.
If you want to quickly test the alarm, get in the car, lock it and move around.
The alarm should go off.
I've done it loads of times, locking the missus in the car when I go to the shop etc.

Yea I locked my mates in the car by accident once and it went off, about a week or 2 ago. It does work, just had a quick look around the rubber seals around the window all seems ok. Luckily no major damage, just that nasty scratch on the inside of the door, which only I will ever notice, but as I drive the car its more than enough.

Just fixed the ipod cable they had pratically ripped out, so it looks ok, im taking it in for a service on friday, and Ill ask they why it is so easy to break into the car.

Ill ask they why it is so easy to break into the car.

Until they do away with the manual key entry option, I'm guessing it will always be easy enough to grab the door cable with a blade/hook, pop the driver's door lock and you're in, the car thinking it's just the owner using the manual key.
In a perfect world, the remote plip would always have to be used.
But people have a habit of losing their plips, or plips break.
If you look at the thread below, it shows pictures of a stripped down door and the cable they grab to pop the lock.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=52782

Bowfer - you signature at the bottom of your posts needs updating!!!

A bit worrying, the Thatcham ratings say the A3 is a five star for stealing the car and a four star for stealing from the car.

I thought that meant they pretty much had to break a window to get in. My dealer was most proud when he told me they locked the keys in an A3 and the AA had to smash the window as they couldn't break in.

Maybe their is a weakness the thieves found?

Well I did some hunting on youtube, and theres a video of someone easily breaking into a TT, theres a website with instructions of how to break into an A4, its really scary. Guys dont leave anything in your cars, these people can get in without an issue. Like I say, im going to ask Audi when i take it in for service, ask why I bother to lock the door.

Keep 2 machetes by your front door at all times and set up your own one-man neighborhood watch Charlie Bronson style.

Do any ****** you suspect of being up to no good.

My alarm went off with a faulty boot sensor (which was easily rectified) but I had never ever heard the alarm go off before, and to be honest, I wondered what the hell the noise was because it was a QUIET, FEEBLE excuse of an alarm tone. I was in a house with double glazing, a bungalow, and I had to strain to hear the noise.

It sounded like a microwave beep!

The price of cars these days, you'd think there would be a decent NOISY alarm in them, sod EU noise laws, what about protection of our personal property!

Jen

The price of cars these days, you'd think there would be a decent NOISY alarm in them, sod EU noise laws, what about protection of our personal property!

The problem is that car manufacturers cannot 'sod EU noise laws'. If they did they would not be able to sell any cars in the EU.

The problem with noisy car alarms is that so many were set off by accident or internal fault in the past creating a nusance to everyone. Nobody takes any notice of a car alarm or a house alarm for that matter. If you have a very noisy alarm and the person has gone away on holiday for example, what then? This was the reason why the EU introduced noise limits for alarms.

My car is kept in a my garage which is attached to my house. The alarm on my previous A3 certainly woke me up when the internal mirror fell off the windscreen after I'd had a new windscreen fiited and the movement was detected by the untrasonics sensors.

Only other option is to get brave and build a welded plate over the cable access point... lot of effort tho and makes changing the cable if it ever goes a pain

And all Audi allarms are crap! Mine went off while I was working on my car, didnt even think it was mine going off

Why dont they put the siren in the car rather than under the bonnet? as it s the interior they get into and not under the bonnet. You would still hear the alarm because the door or window would be open.

Why dont they put the siren in the car rather than under the bonnet? as it s the interior they get into and not under the bonnet.

In today's stupid environment you would probably get sued by the thief for damaging their hearing!!!