You're New A3

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi Irish

I saw in another post (A3) that you now have your new A3 2.0 TDI. I'm very jealous. I have one on order but so far have been given a build week of 7 June so I won't be getting mine until the end of June.

Enjoy your new car and keep us posted as to how you are getting on with it.

Dave R

Hi Dave - yes I got it on Wed and I love it to bits, not a single rattle (my Golf had quite a few) and it has serious road presence IMO.

Only thing I can say I'm not happy with are the brakes - I found them a bit more eager to bite on the GTI. You have to press harder for some reason.

It's going back to the garage tomorrow to be waxed again as they made a total mess of it and left marks all over the paintwork which is polishing out but I caused a small fuss over it with the sales manager - his response was impeccable however and he was very apologetic about the whole thing.

It's a little high on the MPG for some reason, I'm seeing 28/29 MPG sometimes and that's a bit too much for a diesel IMO tight engine or not. I put my first full tank in on Sat night so I'll see how many miles I get out of that.

Absolute delight to drive however and the torque - wow!! You can pull away from a set of lights so quickly it's scary.

Oh yeh...........and that new car smell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irish said:

It's a little high on the MPG for some reason, I'm seeing 28/29 MPG sometimes and that's a bit too much for a diesel IMO tight engine or not. I put my first full tank in on Sat night so I'll see how many miles I get out of that.

you need to run it in ,my one was the same now it's going it's doing 47/52 MPG

Our A3 2.0 TDi SE has covered 1400 mile in 10 weeks. Averages 47mpg. Not sure if the DSG gearbox is a contributory factor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

As the engine becomes more run in you will get better MPG and stop burning oil as much. I now get between 45-50mpg most of the time.

Car needed a top up at 6k miles and at 12k miles. Currently on 22k miles and it just about to be serviced.

Si

Yeh I'm going to watch the oil level alright - it's a slight bit smokey when pulling away from traffic lights hard but that's expected too I suppose...

I have a new A3 with the 1.6 old engine for a few hours today while mine is in the stealers - ouch the difference, inside, handling, suspension, performance........

I had a loan of the new a3 2.0 fsi sport today as well whilst at the dealers, it makes you realise how quick the s3 really is (cause you can get used to the power after a while), it was a lovely motor but glad to get mine back!!

Mine is starting to loosen up a bit and I just can't accept the stuff about the 2.0FSI, the diesel is just a monster, it's just as fast if not faster than my old Golf and the amount of torque when it's moving is just frightening and I just can't see a 2.0 petrol keeping up...Just MHO

You just don't believe until it runs away from you.. granted, 2,0 TDI will run away in the beginning, then it's 1st runs out at about ~39km/h, and when the speed hits 50km/h, FSI has higher speed already, since it's still running with the first gear all the way to 56km/h, when it has bypassed TDI. And after that, they fight a while head-to-head, until FSI starts pulling off because of a little bit higher bhp.

But Irish, don't try it, you'll be happier to believe in the TDI.. get it chipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

But Yak why can't you see things from the real world - who drives their car in 1st gear up until 39kmh or whatever it is???

I also have yet to see a TDI on a rolling road that has the factory claimed BHP - they're sometimes well around 150 for a PD130.

If you drive the way you've explained maybe it'd be more even but I don't drive like that and getting into 3rd and 4th in the A3 quickly in the TDI you won't catch it for a few seconds. I can promise you, I'm not imagining the cars I leave for dead at traffic lights in the thing!!

Let's not get into an argument about it but quite simply, torque = acceleration right? More torque over less torque = quicker acceleration yeh?

That sums up the two cars in real world driving.

I don't wanna start a flame war, but come on.

My dad had the 2.0 FSI the other week and I razzzed it down the road (Razzed doesn't come into the equation).

On a serious note it was gutless, the only reason I would choose the FSI would be because of the burble it makes and thats it other than I like the tail pieces more.

Can the Petrol MK IV's keep up with the GT TDI and the TDI's? No it can't.

On paper cars have all different figures, look at the Audi S4 and the BMW M3. On paper thats is abit of difference but as you see on the topgear video it's less than a car length.

Dave (Don't flame, but the FSI comes no where near me thinks & a second opinion from my dad)

DaveA3Turbo

It would be good if we could make a small video.

Dave

Hi Dave (A3Turbo)

I agree with you. I think the only thing that is better with the FSI is the engine noise. Performance wise the FSI may have a slightly better top speed (by about 2 mph) but the in gear acceleration figures are much better on the TDI. These are the figures that matter in every day driving. I have a TDI with a DSG gearbox on order.

Have a look at the post I have put up FSI v TDI for a bit of fun.

Dave R

Irish, we were talking about real performance here. Who in their right mind drives the car at their limits anyway? I'd say in everyday use in the city, a 1,6 engine would be enough. And on the country lane (I hope this is what you call those 'normal' roads), you need to anyway pick a smaller gear, I wouldn't accelerate at 6th with either car. So with a diesel you pick a 4th, with a petrol, you could even pick a 3rd. Either way, you would bypass the car infront just as quick.

Let's not take real-world-driving-ways in to this discussion, or we both have to change to a Nissan Micra. I've replied to the FSI vs. TDI thread with my guess on the results, as no one else seemed to.

- Yak

Yak - this is where I don't get you??

You can accelerate in every gear in the TDI apart from 1st and 2nd really, the torque is the magic bit!

Once you're doing about 50 mph 6th will pull you all the way to the top.

Yesterday I let someone else drive my car while I sat in the passenger seat and I couldn't believe how scared I was with how much it pulled.

The guy I let drive it has a PD130 Golf and agreed with me that the new engine had a SLIGHT bit more pull than his Golf.

Now bear in mind that the PD130 Golf Vs the 150 Golf GTI petrol - there is only ONE TIME BLOCK where the petrol is quicker and that's 0-80 mph even though the Golf has 20bhp more??

Saw an A3 2.0 TDI on the way to work today. The last three letters on the plate were YAK, anyone spot the irony?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Just to help stir things up......the puffs, no sorry the clouds, of black smoke put me off the TDI.

There's no smoke from the 2.0TDI unless you start revving it at idle or something, even then it's barely noticeable...

Irish, I guess we have different opinions of smoke then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. You can even notice little cloud coming from a petrol engine if you accelerate. But that's usually just steam.

Don't fall too much into your dreams, you surely can detect the cloud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

TDi vs FSi - C'mon people this is surely dead in the water now. Yawn..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Petrol Owners wake up. Not talking to the s3's here.

Why does thr TDI cost more than the FSI? Ask yourself that question.

I know why, because you pay for what you get. LMAO

Dave

A8 4,0 TDI Quattro.. well, let's take A8 4,2 Quattro. That was easy. Or pick nearly any other car with 4 litre engine, and it'll most likely beat that.

Are you sure Irish you don't need glasses?

- Yak