I'mRonBurgundy?

Lets make that kitten purr...
Reaction score
Morning All

Thinking of buying a set (10mm) but have a few questions:

1. What brand?
2. How much?
3. Any issues I need to be aware of?

My car's not lowered and I'm running stock wheels/tyres.

Also does anyone know where I could try before I buy? Obviously I want to be sure I like the look before I commit. Any pics would be great.

Cheers.
Ron

H&R
expensive - contact DPM
No issues, just make sure they are hubcentric and are screwed on tightly!

There are a couple of people on here who have fitted H&R spacers to their S3's so do a search!

i'm going to be investing in a set of 10mm H&R spacers for the front and 15mm for the back. I know you're not supposed to mix spacers with quattro but looks wise i think it's going to look spot on. Are the eibach pro spacers any good compared to H&R?

my experience of the 15mm on the rear are they rub, even with no one in the back!

might be ok with ur suspension, but with the S3 it deffo rubs

Quite like the idea of fitting spacers to my S3 and there seems to be no rub issues from what you are all saying

But my questions are

1. Does this have a longterm effect on bearings etc?
2. and therefore uncovered if a warranty issue?
3. Are you taking them off when car goes in for servicing/no point bringing it to their attention?
4. Does it invalidate insurance as considered performance upgrade perhaps?

Cheers Jas

Quite like the idea of fitting spacers to my S3 and there seems to be no rub issues from what you are all saying

But my questions are

1. Does this have a longterm effect on bearings etc?
2. and therefore uncovered if a warranty issue?
3. Are you taking them off when car goes in for servicing/no point bringing it to their attention?
4. Does it invalidate insurance as considered performance upgrade perhaps?

Cheers Jas

1. Dont think so
2. I never had any warranty issues
3. Left them on and 2 different dealerships never said a word
4. Its a good idea to declare any mod, I declared mine, didnt increased the premium.

Cheers,

K

Morning All

Thinking of buying a set (10mm) but have a few questions:

1. What brand?
2. How much?
3. Any issues I need to be aware of?

My car's not lowered and I'm running stock wheels/tyres.

Also does anyone know where I could try before I buy? Obviously I want to be sure I like the look before I commit. Any pics would be great.

Cheers.
Ron

I'm running spacers on the A4.

I would go for MTM if I were you.

I have H&R 8mm on the front and MTM 10mm on the rear.

The H&R spacers are made too small for the face of the hub and TBH I don't like that.......

entry2pic2.jpg

Although this isn't really an issue, (there are plenty of yanks doing mega mileage with them) I just think it's not right for the wheel to have a 4mm gap where it mounts onto the hub.

The MTM's however are a perfect diameter and when fitted they look like part of the wheel and are invisible :thumbsup:

13_1_b.jpg

I'm going to buy some more MTM's and have them machined down to 8mm for use on the front. I bought the H&R's first for the rear and then discovered MTM make a full size spacer.

Here is a before and after with the 8mm's on the rear
BEFORE
Before.sized.jpg

AFTER
8mm_Rear.sized.jpg

I'm running 10mm on the rear now and the 8's are on the front with no issues as yet.

KW_1.sized.jpg

Don't forget if you want to use locking wheel bolts you'll need a longer kit!

One word of advice though, Regularly check the wheel bolts!!!

BUB :beerchug:

Can you fit them with 19's - for instance with my 8.5x19 MTM's or will they not be necessary - They ertainly improve the looks of the standard wheels

1. Dont think so
2. I never had any warranty issues
3. Left them on and 2 different dealerships never said a word
4. Its a good idea to declare any mod, I declared mine, didnt increased the premium.

Cheers,

K

Cheers Klauster.
Bubstar's got me thinking on the MTM v H&R. Hes got a point on spacer fitting full out to the hub.

What was your thoughts on the H&R spacers. I'm assuming here you had them on your old S3 or have you fitted them now on your RS4.

Cheers Jas

Don't forget if you want to use locking wheel bolts you'll need a longer kit!

One word of advice though, Regularly check the wheel bolts!!!

BUB :beerchug:

Bubstar.
I'm gonna be thick here but locking wheel bolts/longer kit. Is that something you order with the spacers and therefore a different part no?

Do i still use my OEM bolts/locking bolt?

Can you maybe clarify a bit further mate?

And on the word of advice bit. Are you meaning thats 10mm less thread/to hub (if existing bolts) and therefore you need to check more regularly?

Oh and where to get these MTM spacers and price perhaps.

Cheers Jas

Bubstar.
I'm gonna be thick here but locking wheel bolts/longer kit. Is that something you order with the spacers and therefore a different part no?

Do i still use my OEM bolts/locking bolt?

Can you maybe clarify a bit further mate?

And on the word of advice bit. Are you meaning thats 10mm less thread/to hub (if existing bolts) and therefore you need to check more regularly?

Oh and where to get these MTM spacers and price perhaps.

Cheers Jas

No! No! The standard bolts CAN NOT be used with any spacer!!

If you buy the MTM's from QST they come with the correct (longer) bolts. The H&R's don't come with bolts. I bought mine from the TT shop and they will supply the correct bolts with the spacers.

You buy spacers as an axle set - 2 spacers, 10 bolts.

I think McGard do a longer locking bolt kit for spacer use :thumbsup:

The price of MTM and H&R is pretty much the same, so the MTM's get my vote. They are both a quality item in terms of fit and finish.

My experience so far (about 5k miles) is that the bolts do 'let up' a bit so a monthly check is a must :thumbsup: Better safe than sorry.

Worth it mind :racer:

BUB

Thanks to Bubstar for his pics but does anyone out there have 10mm H&R spacers on + their wheels.

Would like to see a pic up close to see how much off a step in looks with wheels on.

Bubstar is QST the only place for MTM. They don't seem to be trading on line at the moment. I've got a price from Damien for H&R and not ruling this out yet.

Anyone for a close up pic please.:sos:

Ta Jas.

JimmyJames

Think you can get the MTM spacers here: www.mtm-online.de

Ron

Thanks Ron for link. After much teeth nashing on deciding about H&R v MTM. I got in touch with Lee (L33TAY). He sent me a pic of his H&R 10mm spacers on his rear hubs and they are full width and no issues.

Decided to go with H&R and have now ordered through Damian @ DPM.

Cheers Jas

Spacers or staggered fit wheels give a car a much better stance, 10mm is nice, I was running 20mm on my MK4 Golf and lowered on coilovers, no rubbing, I got mine from Vagtech just outside Ayelsbury, think they were £60, defo got to have some when the A3 arrives

Reararch.jpg

DSCF1528.jpg

DSCF1526.jpg

Ive never used spacers before , ive orderd a set of H&R hubcentric 10mill's all the way round.

How do they attach to the hub? do they rest there or bolt on? then do you use longer bolts to go through the wheel and the spacer?

What size bolts are people using?

What size/make are people using?

Sorry for all the questions

Thanks

p

The spacers rest on to the hub and then align the holes with the holes in the hub and then use the longer supplied bolts with the H&R kit (came from the TT shop - complete with locking nuts as well) to hold the wheel to the hub. Lip on the spacer faces out as shown in the pics above

Good idea to give the inside of the alloys a quick clean a layer of wheel wax if have some .
Be careful with the standard jack - its pretty pants to be honest and very easy for it to slip (been there and done it !!)
Richard