8P retorfit roof rail kit-need help finding

A3gotBCK

BBR
Reaction score
Any help to steer me to the right direction.

I have spent a lot of time trying to find the roof rail retrofit kit for the A3.
i know that Vag-parts carry the item, but budget is tight. cannot really afford it.
to make matter even harder US dealers do not sell the kit.

i am trying to find a used set of the aluminum roof rails retrofit kit for the A3 and some sorts of installation instruction on how the rails are fitted on the roof with the open sky.

Please help!!

if anyone has any sorts of technical specs. on the roof rail's dimension size, bolt location, or any guides what so ever, please email me.

Thank YOU!
BBR-A3 :hi:

ko-a3-069.jpg

I've just had a look in the electronic workshop manual and there are no details of the fittings of the roof rails. The parts catalogue does shows a retro-fit kit in chrome or black. I can only assume that the necessary fitting instructions would be included with the kit.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I retro fitted the alloy roof rails to my Sportback recently using the vag-parts kit. It's a lot of work but not that hard, just involves taking a lot of things apart really. It involves removing the headlining from the car which means taking out the seats and all the interior cladding to the window pillars believe it or not! I've got the complete instructions on a PDF file if you want them. They give step by step instructions on the whole process - very detailed. I don't know if you'll be able to fit the factory roof rails with open sky though.

Look on the German ebay sites for second hand sets of rails, they come up occasionally and are cheaper than buying new.

Send me your e-mail address so I can send you the PDF file if your interested.

Reactions: Navisace
Thank you, for the great info, it has took me almost 6 to 7 months to find information on these roof kits. and i have seen some photos of the roof kits on Open-sky's.
it should work.

Thank you ALL!

I don'y think open sky should matter, if anything I think it would make it easier as there is less roof lining. I like your A3 very nice esp those wheels. Whats the drop on it ?

I don'y think open sky should matter, if anything I think it would make it easier as there is less roof lining. I like your A3 very nice esp those wheels. Whats the drop on it ?

If i remember correctly, the drop should be 1.3" Front and 1.6 Rear"

:blackrs4:

I´m trying to retrofit the roof bars in spanish audisport-iberica forum. I´m going to make a do it yourself with photos,....

I have the bars, and all the necesary items, but i haven´t the fiting instructions that ca help us. I see that you have them. If you could send me the pdf......
or

If anyone can help me???

thanks

Sani please send me a link to the retrofit DIY when you do it mate. Try sending a pm to boggym for the PDF as this thread is pretty old.

I have sent it yesterday.
I will give you a link wen i do it.

I will do it anyway next week. If i dont get the pdf i will take a friends sportback and unmount all to take the distances betwin holds.

I think there might be something in elsawin about this kit fitment, saw it fitted to an open sky today, looks cool as I wanted open sky sportback one time with rails, if I get chance I'll go dig it out.

I'd appreciate it if someone could send me the PDF as going to have a go at fitting these soon.

Sorry, i didnt take any step by step pictures, but i will take some of my car as i have taken my roof rails for a full respray.

heres a car wich i retrofitted alu roofrails. didnt any pictures when i drilled the hole's i didnt use any templates or retrofitting kit.

before;

IMG-20111001-00324.jpg

IMG-20111001-00325.jpg

IMG-20111001-00323.jpg

After;

IMG-20120107-00088-1.jpg

IMG-20120314-00048.jpg

Ignore the driver ^^^ :happy:

IIRC arent the hole positions marked in the roof anyway on every SB roof interior?

LOL so thats what you look like! :p

:motz: lol

any chance you could forward the instructions to me too

i have the rails but like yourself no instructions

cheers

I can provide fitting service for this if you want :p

IIRC arent the hole positions marked in the roof anyway on every SB roof interior?

nope the hole positions are not marked nigel, i think audi has a template kit wich is only supplied with the roofrails :(. i got my own way round it ;)

Strange as someone else that fitted said there were crosses marked where they would have been, oh well, nothing a measuring tape wont sort out :)

hmmm i didnt come across any marks when i did the yellow a3 :uhm:, maybe some cars be marked and some doesnt.

I painted over them before you got the car :jester:

lol.. talking about paint am off to go see my car now, apperantly its ready now. hope they done a guud job as they spent 2 weeks extra on it.

:motz: lolI can provide fitting service for this if you want :pbut we are like 150 miles apart though.i do come up to manchester every now and then.so what price we talking

hmmm am not sure as its not a easy job roof lining would have to be removed and roof airbags, when i did the yellow a3 i spent a full day on it, but if you want to get this done i will price you up..

nigel here no marking;

IMG-20110821-00084.jpg

Cheers mate, well weird as he was adamant, but alas you know audi, mind change as often as there wiring lol.

So going by that shot, do they slide into position & you just tighten the bolts?

nope lol the roofbars dont slide into position a little spacer or whateva they call it slides in there, i will get some more shots of the spacer and how they fitted.

You would have to ring them & ask for latest, but about £383

cheers for the offer omar but i have a couple of hilti cordless drilled im very friendley with lol

I actually don't like my roof rails :( Cant take them off because of the holes it would leave so might get them vinyl wrapped in black to match my new grille, the roof rails make it look more like an estate car i think

Chris

think il be getting black if i get some, i like the estate look TBH im not very tall so i feel lost in a A4 estate lol

Chirs do a swap thread in classified you they maybe someone out there that would wanat to swap thier roof rails from matt black to the alu ones.