It's here (BMW/Alpina/D3 thread, ignore if you're delicate)

Amchlolor

Reaction score
SP_A0151.jpg

SP_A0150.jpg

SP_A0149.jpg

SP_A0148.jpg

SP_A0147.jpg

Just looks like all the others, I thought it was going to be some new shape or something? *knows nothing about beemers*

That is a seriously good looking car mate.
:hubbahubba:
The wheels are beautiful. Color is perfect too. May you have many happy days of motoring in that thing. Let us know what the power delivery is like etc.

WELL DONE FOR PUTTING THE TIMS OUT THE CUP AS WELL!!! :beerchug:

Metallic black.
No idea of it's fancy name, probably something like 'Charcoal blush', or something equally crap.

(Darren Mackie for mayor)

I intend to replace the BMW badges with Alpina ones, at some point.
If I buy them the dealer will fit them for nowt, by way of apology for the time it's taken them to get it ready (not even their fault really, but they feel bad anyway).

Love the centre panel layout (handbrake, arm rest, gear stick etc) boring dashboard.

Im not sure the pictures do it justice, I saw one in the flesh and it did look like something a bit nicer than the norm, but in your pics it looks pretty dull to be honest.

Maybe ive seen too many 3 series beemers around??

P.S. Are you planning to chip it up? I had 400nm of torque in my diesel barge too, but after chipping it the rev range extended from around 3700 right up to 4500rpm :D

How is it to drive? Tell us more.

Only done about 20 odd miles.
Love the steering, loads of feel and lovely turn in.
Only put my foot down once, but it does pull like ****.
Can't see it bothering S3 owners, but it still pulls like ****!
Nice and quiet car too, even if the road noise is higher than normal because of the 19's.
Well chuffed with the little bits and bobs that come with it.
Special Alpina keys, leather Alpina wallet.
Little rechargeable Alpina torch that sits and recharges in the glove box.
Inflatable side bolsters on the seats too, which is quite cool.

Aren't they supposed to come with Alpina badges? What happened there?

Not as standard, no.
There is ALPINA and D3 badging on the back, but the BMW roundels remain.
Easy enough to get Alpina ones though, about £30 the pair.

Lovely. I am seriously thinking BMW for my next motor but the taxes are outrageous on them in Turkey for some reason. 70% TAX!!!

Looks like any other 3 series bmw bland, stonking engine though.

P.S. Are you planning to chip it up? I had 400nm of torque in my diesel barge too, but after chipping it the rev range extended from around 3700 right up to 4500rpm :D

No-one chips them, that I know of.
An owner reports great results from a £150 tuning box from a German company.
I might give that a pop.
Only trouble with that is you don't get any measure of the improvements.
You just sort of have to 'feel' it's faster, which could be misleading.

Looks great Bowfer. It will look even better when you get your own plate on it.

Long time coming but no doubt worth it in the end. Enjoy it.

At last !

Stick around though - we need to hear a voice of reason sometimes....

are those wheels 18" or 19" and if 19" what size tyres and rim J are they?

Gz on the new motor, hope it was worth the wait, only thing i dont like is the alloys, the rest is very cool. :icon_thumright:

Nice car.

Are those wheels the type with the valve stem hidden by the center cap?

Hey Bowf,

Glad you finally got it, and as i've said before stunning motor..............other than Alpina graphic on lower front splitter, but that's my only dislike.

Them tyres aren't going to be cheap.

When do i get a shottie..................

Nice car.

Are those wheels the type with the valve stem hidden by the center cap?

Yeah.
TBH, that's a bit of a scutter for little aesthetic gain.
Dare say I'll get used to it, but I can see the weekly pressure checks going out the window.
It has a tyre pressure monitor on the dash anyway.

:hubbahubba:Looks superb Bowfer...thanks for posting pics & enjoy!!!:icon_thumright:

yeah, I like the rims. Not a big fan of the E90's but like the coops.

Hope you enjoy it mate... BMW's are a great drive.

My 100% honest opinion after many weeks of arguments over this car (myself included saying Alpina styling stuck in the 80's, unimaginative etc)..... I think it looks alright! Quite nice actually. It does look a little out of the ordinary compared to most 3 series which is a good thing. The engine definitely sounds like it's the cars best feature and probably it's main selling point (not a diesel fan but still sounds good).
I must be honest though, it's pretty obvious they've saved money on the interior. I don't care how many 'gadgets' it's got, it looks dull as ditch water and cheap as chips (from those photos anyway...it could be nicer in person).
Exterior is quite understated which i like, and you can't go wrong with black. Never liked Alpina alloys myself (i'd like something a little more sports orientated) but they suit the car.

All in all, i like it more than i thought i would. Looks and sound like a decent motor. Brand new price i believe is around 26-27K (correct?), so the same as my A3. Personally i prefer the styling of my A3 and the interior looks a much nicer place to be. But if you've fallen out of love with Audi, this looks a decent alternative.

Enjoy it!

Paul.

£28350 on the road, PNH80.
The interior looks better in the flesh, but you're right in thinking that it's a bit dull.
Inevitable in a German car, I suppose.
Decent enough spec though.
Part leather, climate, ipod connection, rear parking sensors etc.
Even the stereo, which I expected to be poor when compared with the A3's Bose, is decent enough.
It's helped by the fact the car itself is quieter than the A3, so you don't need the volume.

it looks a nice car,wouldnt say it looks that different to a run of the mill 3 series 2bh,dont like the wheels there old fashioned imo,looks a decent car tho overall

Enjoy it bowfer. Credit to you, looks lovely.

:edit:

In fact more than that, I hope you really enjoy it. Nothing worse than a car that leaves you underwhelmed/disappointed and your Audi clearly did that. Mine has too, it looks lovely and all that but at the end of the day it's a Golf in a posh frock. As far as I'm concerned the 3 series (like any Beemer) is an extremely competent car to start with, spend a bit more and it just gets better. I probably won't buy another Audi but unfortunately I can't afford the BMW I'd like. Next time I'll get what I pay for. I'm fairly sure you've got that now :)