Monster MotorsportBadger5
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    3rd Gear

Status
    Very nice, you knew Id like it, coming from a 335D with 19" Aplina Dynamics!!!

The comments from people who say it look ordinary/dull, make me laugh, as its only people in the know, that realise that its something a bit special Alpina's styling is very discreet - Im one of the few that still likes the old school pinstripes.

Enjoy it
    Last edited by Oli.; 19th March 2008 at 18:34.
    www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk VW California hire and sales

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    It does looks very nice- congrats bowfer
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

yak
    2nd Gear

Status
    meh, now I'll miss bowfer's DSG
    Audi A3 2,0 FSI -04, Honda CB 600F Hornet -07

jamiekip
    Nice car mate - keen to hear how you get on with it!
    Good luck keeping those rims clean... look nice, but god they'll keep you busy on a sunday afternoon!

RWD sucks!

Status
    Great car! Specially for the price! Not feeling the Alpina alloys (as usual for me) but a quick change to some other BMW oem wheels, can make it look amazing!

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    Like the wheels and steering wheel. Other than that it looks like a normal BMW to me. Although 298lbft is pretty good. Is it one of those twin turbo engines? one small and one medium sized turbo?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

Status
    Looks terrific Bowfer! Although I'm still not a fan of those alloys - look very dated IMO. Still a great choice and a great spec too.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

va va voom

Status
    looks very nice mate,

Hope you enjoy it
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

Neutral

Status
    Looks well, hope you fare better with it than with the A3!

A lot of people have commented on the wheels, but I'm sure you can choose between those and another style (dyanamic I think?) which IIRC you don't like so didn't spec but I would have chosen.
    2010 TDi 170 SB Black Edition - on order

2007 MY08 Sprint blue S3 - gone

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli.H View Post

The comments from people who say it look ordinary/dull, make me laugh, as its only people in the know, that realise that its something a bit special Alpina's styling is very discreet - Im one of the few that still likes the old school pinstripes.

Enjoy it
    Oh yeah - sorry after a bit of research (read Evo, watched top gear, talked **** on forum), i've now educated myself....its still as dull as cheese.

2.0T Quattro SLine, now 320d Sport Touring

1st Gear

Status
    Looks fantastic Bowfer!

Very very informed choice.
    Ex 225bhp S3, ex Golf 150 PD TDI, ex A3 2.0 TDI Sportback, now Passat 2.0 TDi Estate Sport.

3rd Gear

Status
    whut?!?! 5 years and this is your first post? or am I seeing it wrong?
    World's Fastest S3 Driver - racing old people in toyota camries since 1997 with a 97.6% winning rate.

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Looks great Bowfer, enjoy, and don't crash her...

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli.H View Post

Enjoy it
    Erm...No. A very patronizing comment there. For the record i have a degree and a masters in industrial design and am a designer by trade so i don't have to be 'in the know' about Alpina to comment on the design aspect of the car... I find the design additions unnecessary and old fashioned. Alpina seem to get 'retro' and 'old fashioned' very much mixed up. It's just too obvious for me. Far from discreet as you call it. Sure... putting stickers on the car that say A L P I N A and pin stripes are REALLY subtle and discreet aren't they?
    Your idea of 'special' is very different to mine.

Don't get me wrong i have nothing against the car, i actually think it looks alright apart from the interior is dire for a 28K + car.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

Status
    Nice one mate, colour really suits the car. Can imagine with all that torque it goes like f*@king stink, whilst not wringing your wallet out completely at the tax pumps.
    Audi S5 3.0V6T Coupe Black Edition

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PNH80 View Post
    and pin stripes are REALLY subtle and discreet aren't they?
    Your idea of 'special' is very different to mine.

Err....what pinstripes?
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Japper View Post
    Hey Bowf,

Glad you finally got it, and as i've said before stunning motor..............other than Alpina graphic on lower front splitter, but that's my only dislike.
    That is one very nice motor, as said though loose the Alpina graphic on the front splitter.

Only other thing I'd say is that the dash is a bit bland.

All IMHO of course.

Enjoy it.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

5th Gear

Status
    That looks nice, I like the blue dials but i'm not keen on the alloys.
    Gone A3 TDi S Line DSG Bluefined

Now Seat Leon Cupra about to be Bluefined

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I really like the ride height. The car sits perfectly on those lovely big 19''s. I'm just curious though Bowfer, what made you choose the Alpina model over the M-Sport? What didn't you like about the M-Sport? Do tell.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    I really like the ride height. The car sits perfectly on those lovely big 19''s. I'm just curious though Bowfer, what made you choose the Alpina model over the M-Sport? What didn't you like about the M-Sport? Do tell.
    Well, it just made more sense to go for the Alpina.
    There is actually very little difference in price.
    Seriously, the base price of each car is only hundreds apart.
    Metallic paint is extra on the M-sport, as are big wheels (both standard on Alpina).
    Once you add paint/wheels into the equation, the M-sport is actually dearer than the Alpina.
    The Alpina puts out 200bhp to the M-sport's 177bhp, and it has a different suspension set up that improves the handling and ride.
    Bit of a no brainer really.
    The only 'downside' to the Alpina is the fact it comes in one spec only.
    But I don't feel I'm missing anything, I have everything I need.

Note, there is a special edition M-sport coming out, with full leather/satnav/bluetooth for only 1000 over the base M-sport price.
    That wasn't available when I ordered.
    I might have been tempted by that, but I still think the Alpina's 200bhp and exclusivity would have swung it.

Put it this way.
    If I bought an M-sport and saw an Alpina passing, I'd probably damn myself for making the wrong decision.
    I can't see me thinking that when I see an M-sport.
    Last edited by Amchlolor; 20th March 2008 at 10:25.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer View Post
    I might have been tempted by that, but I still think the Alpina's 200bhp and exclusivity would have swung it.
    Not a bad looking car, I'm with most others that the interior is a bit bland tho

However, just picking on one thing - exclusivity? I've got an A3 with a Piston Heads sticker on the back, does that make mine exclusive

Deep Blue

Status
    Bowfer Lovely car. compared to an a3/s3 its definitely an improvement. Lets be honest A3 and s3s are tampons round here they replaced the xr3 of the 80s. Too many real negatives here. I own both bmw and audi. and have to say for reliability, noise levels and handling give a bmw any day. the audi is easier to drive and has more visible toys but definitely not worth the money they command new read the forums for all the problems they have and poor customer service record.

Bowfer could have gone for a citroen or something then the negatives are may be justified.

An A3 is not the same league as a 3 series its comparable to the A4. just cause you pay 20+ k for essentially a golf just for the audi badge snobbery. come on guys a car is a car. If the snobbery was justified then this forum would not likely exist as the main reasons for it seem to be to get help fixing faults.

Bowfer see you on the other side. good luck

m
    A6 2.4Se Man
    Bmw 520Ise Auto

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bacardi View Post
    Not a bad looking car, I'm with most others that the interior is a bit bland tho
    I can see why people think it's bland.
    However, I was wondering what people were comparing it with, because it's essentially identical to my S-line A3, even down to the aluminium trim.
    Yes, it's bland compared to a car with coloured leather and bling.
    But it's not bland compared with your average black-interior A3.
    It's just the same, but different.

L60N
    I would disagree Bowfer,

The layout of the Bm and Audi are miles apart.

The BMW interior has been "Bangled" i.e. long floaty lines with hardly anything to break it up.

Thats from what i can tell anyway

5th Gear

Status
    perhaps bland is the wrong word, perhaps odd is a better description, maybe it looks too "clean"

Colourwise, yes the A3/A4 share the same themes however they styling is very different as are Lexus and Mercedes (even Vauxhall/Ford are a bit more daring IMO)

I guess, as the exterior styling is quite bold, I'd expect the interior to follow suit

Still considering one for my next car though

Status
    I can see why people think it's bland.
    However, I was wondering what people were comparing it with, because it's essentially identical to my S-line A3, even down to the aluminium trim.
    Yes, it's bland compared to a car with coloured leather and bling.
    But it's not bland compared with your average black-interior A3.
    It's just the same, but different.

It hasn't got 4 rings and a big squareish steering wheel centre...so it's crap.
    It hasn't got lots of bells and whistles you don't 'need'...so it's a poverty spec.
    It has comfortable seats, perfect weight to the controls, a good driving position and the brakes aren't over-servo'd though, eh?
    It's got perfect balance...
    So it'll be nice to drive...

Better than the A3?
    I'll wager so...

But who cares about that...because when all said and done, when I'm driving hard and enjoying a car...all I really car about is how bling the trim is and how many chintzy add-on's it's got...no?

I thought the last thread was bad for badge snobbery...but this one takes the cake.

I think it's a great car...and I'm no BMW fan.
    But the D3 is just a bit special.

And for the record...I'd have the Alpina logo left where it is...

...and before people start throwing their 4 ringed toys out of the pram...it's my opinion...and has nothing to do with being a Moderator on an Audi forum.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

windsurfer

Status
    Congratulation bowfer, nice car. Understated but still apart from normal 3 series, classy even...

I like it, the wheels ara Alpina trademark so part of their identity they are OK, for me only thing is the interior a bit dull. Audi seem to be nicer but excellent car!

Let us know how yuu get on... I believe you always will be welcomed to post here, at least I hope you do.

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three View Post
    ...it's my opinion...
    Which is why i dont give a **** what you think

All the other childish remarks prior. Well, best not to respond on your level

Have a nice day.

windsurfer

Status
    wait...... are we comparing a 3 series with a A3??????? Are you crazy? They have nothing to compare!!!
    If you compare an A3 with 1-series, fine but a 3 series you can only compare with an A4...

By the way my S3 is way better in everything than a 6 series for instance... irony here!

My S3 is a top spec A3 nothing more!! Drive a CLS or a 5 series and you will see the quality in the interior and construction... I test drove a CLS 320 CDI and while handling wasn't like my S3 the silence and the interior construction was miles better... when came back to S3 it was like I was in a Pug 106 or something...

I start to quite enjoy Ess Three comments and love his sense of humour and I completely agree... it seems some people in this forum have the 4 rings syndrome.... worst when it is the A3 variation..... sick!

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

Status
    Err....what pinstripes?
    The discussion was Alpina styling in general....Not your car.

Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    I would disagree Bowfer,

The layout of the Bm and Audi are miles apart.

The BMW interior has been "Bangled" i.e. long floaty lines with hardly anything to break it up.

Thats from what i can tell anyway
    From a totally unbiased, design only point of view... The main dash in the beamer kind of works until it hits the doors, then it's an awkward clash of lines and looks almost unfinished. As with the A3, the triangular bits by the gearstick appear too 'stuck on' and not organic enough.
    Overall having driven both the 3 series and A3, Audi's do seem to have more complete interiors, better finished with more attention to detail where it matters.
    I'm not saying they ARE better made but the design language BMW seem to have taken on doesn't do the cars any favours. Too edgy, pointy and 'abstract'. Just not easy enough on the eye and looks like it was done on the cheap even if it wasn't. Even the textures aren't particularly great, tiny things like that make a big difference. Nice to see they're starting to move away from this 'surface flame' rubbish and gave the 3-series coupe some classic flowing lines back.

For Sale:

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L60N View Post
    Which is why i dont give a **** what you think
    Good for you...
    At least I don't live my life through Audi-tinted spectacles...and can acknowledge faults with my cars.

All the other childish remarks prior. Well, best not to respond on your level
    Ahh...diddums!

Have a nice day.
    You too...

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Status
    Can i just say... I do enjoy these threads because they give an opportunity to compare and contrast the pros and cons of Audi products against other manufacturers. It's not a license to talk unfounded rubbish and throw insults though. So lets keep it educated and civil chaps!

For Sale:

5th Gear

Status
    yup, me too

Always handy to help make the call on the next car

windsurfer

Status
    well I did not mean to insult anyone but just find it odd to compare two quite different products... like comparing chicken and angus steak.... nothing to do with each other...

They were designed under different target buyers, different purposes, etc, etc so what is the sense of comparing that? I can go on and compare a 3 series with a Maseratti quattroporte... but what is the point?

Pedro

5th Gear

Status
    Beautiful Bowfer =) 08 plate too!

Very very nice, can't wait to test drive one
    Audi A3 (8P) 2.0TDI SE .:. Ebony Black, Sports Suspension, Vienna Beige Sports Leather Seats, Concert II & BOSE, 6 CD-Changer, Xenons, Acoustic Parking Sensors & All The Packs .:.

Gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post
    well I did not mean to insult anyone but just find it odd to compare two quite different products... like comparing chicken and angus steak.... nothing to do with each other...

They were designed under different target buyers, different purposes, etc, etc so what is the sense of comparing that? I can go on and compare a 3 series with a Maseratti quattroporte... but what is the point?

Pedro
    I don't think the 3 series and A3 are poles apart, Pedro.
    My A3 was nigh-on 24K, which is definitely close to 3 series territory.
    Sizewise, I agree the 3 series is more naturally linked to the A4 though.
    Pricewise, it's not unreasonable to compare the two.

windsurfer

Status
    I wasn't talking about price but I was talking about product concept... A3 and 3 series have nothing to compare... they are even from different market areas... that was only my point...

Pricewise sure... but A3 and 3 series are two completely different things... OK they are both cars with 4 wheels but I wouldn't compare them... but then again, personal view.

Small hatch vs small saloon.... no biggie but personally I wouldn't try to compared them...

Anyway fine car you seem to have there.

Pedro

Status
    Guys we're all actually agreeing on a few things!! There is a blurred line between the A3 and 3-series market even though realistically it should be the A4 and 3-series. The problem is, Audi have totally lost focus with the A4 in my opinion. It's started looking like a 3-series ironically, and lets face it....it's massive. And no one seems too interested in the 1-series so it's almost become natural to compare the A3 and 3-series. The 3 series overall SHOULD be a better car but there is an over-lap between a high-end A3 (like mine) and a mid-rage 3-series (like a 320i M-sport which i test drove prior to buying the A3). There is no doubt whatsoever that BMW make fantastic cars, if you disagree you're an idiot but so do Audi. My personal taste was that the 3-series has become a bit of a rep mobile outselling the Ford Mondeo by some margin, so the s-line A3 just suited all my needs. Simple.
    I will, for a fact be having a 3 series coupe after my A3 in a couple of years. I considered an A5 but it just does nothing for me anymore. It just doesn't look very 'Audi'.
    Tell you what though... The new RS6 is the best bit of Audi design for years (other than the R8). Really nice old school quattro angular flared arches. Drool....

For Sale:

In two minds

Status
    Just been looking at 02 plate 330 CI Sport Coupe and saloons, never owned a V6 before
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by newbiecrg View Post

Pricewise sure... but A3 and 3 series are two completely different things... OK they are both cars with 4 wheels but I wouldn't compare them... but then again, personal view.

Small hatch vs small saloon.... no biggie but personally I wouldn't try to compared them...
    From my point of view, the only real difference between my A3 sportback and a 3-series is the hatchback.
    Both are premium badged 4 seaters with reasonably high performance diesel engines.
    One is handier at B+Q though, I'll give you that.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast