Retro fit air con?

cwilcox1

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, just signed up to the club.

Has anyone retro fitted Air con in their car?

picked up a standard (sept57 plate) 1.9TDI as company car and it has no air con (can't believe it is not standard......)

Got a quote from Reader air to fit a Diavia system in the car, they sent pictures of install and it looks tidy. Spoke to Audi and it does not effect the warrenty, but they won't fit air con system (to much like hard work)

Strange I know but has anyone any comments?

Cheers

picked up a standard (sept57 plate) 1.9TDI as company car and it has no air con (can't believe it is not standard......)

It is standard in the UK spec for everything but the very basic model.

I had a Diavia system fitted many years ago to a Golf VR6 and it was fine. It was actually fitted by the dealer. Every car (all A3s) I've had since then has had it fitted as standard.

Cheers for info.

One question, was it noisey? the Diavia system?

No not really. No more so that the system in my current A3. Mainly depends on the fan speed, which you can control on the A3 setup.

No experience of retrofitted A/C, but whoever specced your company car was very short sighted. In 1.9TDI form the Special Edition (which is a base model with manual A/C) is only £100 more than the base model, ie the one they ordered!! Definitely avilable with a 57 plate - we have the petrol version!

Do they use the standard Audi controls to make it look like factory fit, or do they use their own?

Peter

I would be interested to know what sort of price you hav been quoted too as I am considering having this done on mine too.

Guys, I have been quoted £1300 +vat to have it done. They also want car for 4 days?

I also agree its short sighted...............but with my company we don't buy new, its a sept07 57 plate (had 12500 miles on it) and my company use a car dealership to get cars from dealer auctions.

It's a strange one I know, but im stuck with the car (like it 90%) the air con thing bugs me though....

The air con once fitted has a on/off button fitted the other end (near cup holder) where the lighter is installed (if you understand me) I have a pic PDF at work (will try to upload it)

Hope this answers the questions.

Sounds pricey. Is it available as a kit? Would probably be more cost effective if you can fit it yourself (if you're DIY-minded!).

Did not think it was that bad price wise....

If you see what they have to do, don't think you would try it yourself.

If you see what they have to do, don't think you would try it yourself.

very good price - during uni holidays I used to help a mate out who had his own retro-fit A/C company back in the early 90

it's loads of work

Sounds pricey. Is it available as a kit? Would probably be more cost effective if you can fit it yourself (if you're DIY-minded!).

When I had air-con fitted to my new Golf VR6 back in 1994 the dealer used a Diavia kit. I called in to the garage after they said the car had arrived and said can I see it. Yes of course, but be prepared for a shock was the reply. It was in their workshop with not bonnet, not front member or bumper and all sorts of bits hanging off and two technicians were fitting the air-con. Certainly not something I would have fancied doing myself.