Wipers - Rest

L

L60N

Whats with the A3 wipers??

If i have it set to normal, if i flick it once, it rests with the left blade in view, if i flick it again; it rests out of sight! LoL

If i have it in auto sensing, it never rests out of sight (am i being picky?) LoL

Also, the ****** arm rest: If i put it to the bottom where its most comfortable thats great, as soon as i apply the handbrake, it nudges it up just enough to be slightly annoying LoL.

Apart from that, Im happy.

Not noticed about the wipers. I have the arm rest set so its just high enough not to clash with the handbrake

If i have it set to normal, if i flick it once, it rests with the left blade in view, if i flick it again; it rests out of sight! LoL

I've noticed on mine that if they stop slightly above the lowerest position, if I leave them alone, they will move down after a couple of minutes.

The arm rest is a design flaw that really bothers me, specially as my handbrake lever has leather trim... in the beginning I wasn't aware of that and there are markings in the leather trim already... Now I am very careful and never happens but it is a not a nice thing. They should either allow room for the handbrake or not allow the arme rest to go that low...

Pedro

The Audi wiper blades rests in different position every alternating wipe I was told by the salesman, it prolongs the life of the blade apparently by not having it resting in the same bent position all the time.

The arm rest is a design flaw that really bothers me, specially as my handbrake lever has leather trim... in the beginning I wasn't aware of that and there are markings in the leather trim already... Now I am very careful and never happens but it is a not a nice thing. They should either allow room for the handbrake or not allow the arme rest to go that low...

I only ever use my armrest when I parked for a while. I always have it in the vertical position when I'm driving so I don't notice the problem. I mainly use to store my PDA Sat/Nav out of sight when I leave my car parked and don't want to take it with me.

Here is the diagram from the workshop manual showing the correct park positions for the wipers.

A92-0031.png

Dimension A should be 0-10mm and Dimension B 10-20mm.

Well in reply to that, i'd say, that theres 10mm+ difference between both of my alternating resting positions LOL!

Ah well, its not tooo annoying.....

Wait on, what am i on about?? When i do the wipers, if its not resting out of sight, i give it another flick so it does. :tocktock: :nyah:

The Audi wiper blades rests in different position every alternating wipe I was told by the salesman, it prolongs the life of the blade apparently by not having it resting in the same bent position all the time.

That was my understanding as well, but it can be slighty annying sometimes when it appears that the wipers aren't properly parked...

Peter

Never mind how they park. What about the fact that they only 'go' again after the car sets off? ie raining, wipers on, park up, leave car. Return to car, start engine, no wipers until you set off. If your windscreen isn't clear you have to turn the wipers off and then on again before it's safe to drive off. It's a niggle but there you go.

Asfor the arm rest, why don't you just get you hand brake adjusted, so there isn't so much travel on the up position, surely thats possible..

Asfor the arm rest, why don't you just get you hand brake adjusted, so there isn't so much travel on the up position, surely thats possible..

As said, its a minor niggle, and i KNEW someone was going to say get the cable tensioned, but its not even slack. Its Virgin tight :p

Never mind how they park. What about the fact that they only 'go' again after the car sets off? ie raining, wipers on, park up, leave car. Return to car, start engine, no wipers until you set off. If your windscreen isn't clear you have to turn the wipers off and then on again before it's safe to drive off. It's a niggle but there you go.

C'mon - you really complaining about having to move a finger?

i think this auto off feature is a bit pants too, sure it may be a good idea to save the wiper blade but its ****** dangerous

In all the cars I've owned, if the wiper stalk is in any of the on positions (intermediate, slow/fast etc) when you turn the engine on it wipes the windscreen

not in the A3, it waits till you start moving again

It also stops wiping the windscreen when you pull up at a roundabout

Hissing down with rain, looking for a gap in the traffic, you need the wipers to stay on!!!

i think this auto off feature is a bit pants too, sure it may be a good idea to save the wiper blade but its ****** dangerous

In all the cars I've owned, if the wiper stalk is in any of the on positions (intermediate, slow/fast etc) when you turn the engine on it wipes the windscreen

not in the A3, it waits till you start moving again

It also stops wiping the windscreen when you pull up at a roundabout

Hissing down with rain, looking for a gap in the traffic, you need the wipers to stay on!!!

On the contrary,

My old cars auto wipers used to do that; single wipe on startup, what ever the weather.

I used to grimace as it ground the dry windscreen :sadlike:

On the contrary,

My old cars auto wipers used to do that; single wipe on startup, what ever the weather.

I used to grimace as it ground the dry windscreen :sadlike:

On the contrary to what?

Mine aren't auto wipers and don't do a single wipe on startup whatever the weather,

I'm referring to whatever position you leave the stalk in, the car decides if its going to wipe the screen or not

imagine this scenario

get out of the car one evening after driving home in the rain, so you leave the wipers on
now you get up in the morning and its still raining,
you walk to the car, start it up, wipers stay put
until you start moving

pointless

now also imagine, you're trying to negotiate a roundabout in the rain
you pull up, trying to spot your gap
the car decides it doesnt need to have the wipers running

its a pointless and dangerous feature

the last car I had I had to press the button on the stalk to get the auto wipers on. When I saw that the audi auto wipers was on the upshift of the stalk I was well happy.

Seems thought that it may not be all that good, although no problems really...

I didn't spec auto wipers because it is a feature I like to have absolute control.... like auto headlights... for me if they are not standard I will never bother to spec them...

Pedro

now also imagine, you're trying to negotiate a roundabout in the rain
you pull up, trying to spot your gap
the car decides it doesnt need to have the wipers running

its a pointless and dangerous feature

According to the current Owners Manual...

If you stop briefly, e.g. at traffic lights, the wiper speed will automatically be reduced by one level.

So I assume from that, if they are on max speed they will go to normal speed, normal speed to intermittent, intermittent to off. Not sure if that applies to all wipers or just auto-sensing wipers.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the auto-wipers, but I did want auto-lights, and the two go together. Auto-lights is very useful when the road has lots on tunnels, such as when I'm on holiday in parts of Germany and Austria and Switzerland where you are required by law to turn on your headlights in tunnels. Generally I'd be happy with just the normal intermittent.

Seems pretty sensible to me.

And if you think not, move your FAT arm and do it yourself lol

yeah, the auto wipers just slow down... not moving so fast means you don't need the wipers batting away when your stationary.

I am completely opposite to you Pedro and wouldn't not spec this feature now, I love it.

I didn't spec auto wipers because it is a feature I like to have absolute control.... like auto headlights... for me if they are not standard I will never bother to spec them...

Pedro

Absolutely

Perhaps I wasn't clear, Mine aren't auto wipers, they are bog standard ones and they don't give you control

If you stop briefly, e.g. at traffic lights, the wiper speed will automatically be reduced by one level.

So I assume from that, if they are on max speed they will go to normal speed, normal speed to intermittent, intermittent to off. Not sure if that applies to all wipers or just auto-sensing wipers.

Personally I'm not a great fan of the auto-wipers, but I did want auto-lights, and the two go together. Auto-lights is very useful when the road has lots on tunnels, such as when I'm on holiday in parts of Germany and Austria and Switzerland where you are required by law to turn on your headlights in tunnels. Generally I'd be happy with just the normal intermittent.

Me too, normal intermittent would be fine, its the turning off that annoys me, its a small niggle though, I usually put them on the fast speed setting when approaching roundabouts in the wet so I don't suffer this

I dont have auto wipers but mine does the same. I personally find it a good feature as there quite often isn't enough water on the screen at standstill to need it on the same speed so the next speed down works well.

Re: the wipers not coming on when starting up if already turned on - I always turn them off when I leave the car just out of habit so I obviously have to turn them back on again if needed so no problem with them not coming on. Its only because it used to really bug me with previous cars if I had left the wipers on and it was dry when I next used it, the wipers would come on and smear the screen so got into the habit of always switching off the wipers to avoid that happening.

I can see how it would be annoying if you didn't turn them off everytime though!

seems sensible for the wipers (NON AUTO)to stop when its raining?

What?

Its strange, the second day i drove for maybe 3-4 hours in the rain-drizzle, and not once was I put in that situation, nor do i recollect (at any point) thinking woa crap, my wipers have stopped working, and they were on auto the whole time. :D

Perhaps that's because you have auto wipers and I don't?

Mine aren't auto wipers and stop wiping when the car stops moving, or wasn't that clear?

Perhaps its a good sales feature from Audi

"if you don't want your wipers to stop wiping when your car stops moving, please give us some more money for auto wipers"

Which setting are they on when they stop. As I understand it and I think it was like that on my previous A3s which did not have auto-wipers, the wipers will only stop if they are on the intermittent setting. If the are on any other setting they will go to the next slowest setting. Am I right?

Auto-lights is very useful when the road has lots on tunnels, such as when I'm on holiday in parts of Germany and Austria and Switzerland where you are required by law to turn on your headlights in tunnels. Generally I'd be happy with just the normal intermittent.

TBH if on A Road or M-way I always have dipped lights on as it makes the numpties and dawdlers more aware

Perhaps that's because you have auto wipers and I don't?

Mine aren't auto wipers and stop wiping when the car stops moving, or wasn't that clear?

Perhaps its a good sales feature from Audi

"if you don't want your wipers to stop wiping when your car stops moving, please give us some more money for auto wipers"

When i use my auto wipers, they are amazing.

Sounds like you're either on an intermittent setting or there's a problem with your wipers. When I come to a stop at a roundabout or junction and when in the constant on position my non-auto wipers move to the intermittent setting (i.e. they don't stop, they just wipe every 2 seconds or so).

Also I never have the problem of returning to the car and the wipers not working because when I leave it I turn them off, regardless of whether it's ******* down outside. It's just a routine thing I've always done. I think it comes from many years of driving cars where if you got out of the car with the wipers on it left them in the middle of the screen, unless of course you timed it right.

Which setting are they on when they stop. As I understand it and I think it was like that on my previous A3s which did not have auto-wipers, the wipers will only stop if they are on the intermittent setting. If the are on any other setting they will go to the next slowest setting. Am I right?

Yes thats right. Which ever speed they are on when you are moving they go to the next speed down when you stop. I think even when you have them on intermittent and you stop they dont go off completely, just go to the lowest speed setting unless you are already on the lowest setting in which case there cant be much rain about anyway! Cant fully remember off the top of my head if thats right or not, pretty sure it is.

Not noticed TBH, I'll check on the way home, I seem to remember it happening on slow speed and them stopping for 4-5 seconds then wiping

I've noticed this also, i was wondering if it was a fault but apparently it's designed that way so not to worry... I purposely didn't want an A3 with auto rain sensors because i don't trust them and lets be honest, i have eyes, and when i see rain i switch the wipers on. Not rocket science. I also didn't want an armrest...what's the point? It's not a lazy automatic motorway cruiser so the armrest just gets in the way in my opinion.
Options like this i'd expect in an executive saloon but are a bit unnecessary in an A3.

I quite like the arm rest, gives me somthing to lean on when stuck in the miles of stationary traffic

I quite like the arm rest, gives me somthing to lean on when stuck in the miles of stationary traffic

I suppose, with the A3, you have the best of both worlds. I usually have mine in the vertical position most of the time as I don't use it when I'm driving. But as you say, it can be quite useful when your stopped or stuck in traffic, in which case it can be simply put into the horizontal position.

Perhaps the next A3 will have the electrically operated handbrake so there will be no problem with it getting in the way of the handbrake.

I can see how people would have issues with the handbrake but I've got my arm rest set to "rest" on the handbrake lever when its up, so I have no issues with applying or taking off the handbrake with the arm rest down