Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    Newbie in Poole

Status

Bit Of Advice Please :)

Hi

I've been on here, lurking and the odd post for a while now. I was hoping to order an A3 last year, but Redundancy and lack of finances made it impossible.

All for a reason they say, as that reason seems that by the time I'm ready to order this year the A3 will have had a couple of minor changes.

The engine I'm interested in is the new 1.4 TFsi (petrol) or poss the 1.8 TFSI, but I've heard that the new 2.0 TFSI is meant to be really efficient with low emissions

I've yet to take out the fist 2 engine choices, although I did try a 1.6 last year and thought it a bit slow on take off.

I would be looking to buy new, although I would consider an ex demo. Budget is around 18k ( inc the discount!)

Any help and advice would be great.

Thankyou for reading

2. # ADS
    ADS

You realise you will open a large can of worms because everyone has their own particular favourite type of engine whether it be 1.4TFSI, 2.0TFSI, 2.0TDI etc.

Diesels will generally give low emission figures than petrols and better fuel consumption. Some members, me included, like the 2.0TDI engines and some just don't like diesels full stop.

As far the the new 1.4TFSI is concerned it may be worth looking at this thread...A Brilliant Little Engine

I current drive a 2.0TDI-170 but have also had a 2.0TDI-140 and 4 of the older 1.8T Sport petrols before that. I test drove a new 1.8TFSI a few weeks ago and found it had nowhere near the 'go' that my current engine has. I have also driven the 2.0TFSI quite a few times and it feels much the same as my 170. I have not yet driven a 1.4TFSI.

The most important thing is to make sure you personally drive all of the possibilities and then make your choice.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

On Boost

Status
    I think the first thing you need to decide is , what you want most MPG or performance? as you said the 1.6 felt slow , so a 1.4 will feel slower( ive not driven one )

Maybe a 170TDI , get the best of both worlds?

p

Stalled

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I think the first thing you need to decide is , what you want most MPG or performance? as you said the 1.6 felt slow , so a 1.4 will feel slower( ive not driven one )

Maybe a 170TDI , get the best of both worlds?

p
    What? The 1.4T is superior to the 1.6 in everyway... more bhp, more torque, lower emission and higher MPG.

I test drove both the 1.4T and 1.8T when I made my purchase and I can honestly say that running around the city and on A roads I hardly notice any difference. The 1.8T had an extra 'Oomph' when accelerating from stand still but both engine responded very well in every gear.

I dont think you can realistically afford a new 2.0T on a 18k budget as the cheapest base model (SE or Sport as 2.0T isnt available on the standard A3) without any extra will set you back over 21k and probably around 19k after a haggling session.

Best thing to do is to ask to test drive both as everyones needs and opinions are different.

Try avoid the 1.6 if your budget can stretch to an engine with a charger as they are a bit dire to drive.
    Last edited by mcc49; 16th March 2008 at 13:10.

windsurfer

Status
    I would advise to make your mind in the type of engine diesel or petrol first...

Then if petrol I would go for the 1.4 TFSI (highly rated little engine) or a 2.0TDI wich hass very good resale value and excellent engine either in 140 or 170 versions.

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks