Converting Xenon headlights to Europe - HELP

J

jamiekip

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to convert the xenon headlights on a '07 S3?
Manual says go to a dealer, not a single dealer is able to accomodate me (have tried since last weekend and i'm now on concellation lists.... a bit sad really!

I've had a look behind the covers, and there is no 'lever' or anything to flatten the light spread (read in other posts).
Does it need to be done via a computer?

I'm travelling next week so need to get it sorted before then.

Help appreciated!!!

JK

Vag-com is needed to carry out the adjustment mate, anyone on here that's close to you may be able to help?

I've been to Europe 3 times in the A3 and have the Bi-xenons too, each time i've used stick on beam benders with no probs at all, the ones from Halfords are about £6 and come with a template for both xenon and non-xenon equipped A3's so must be ok legality wise.. :icon_thumright:

HTH

Thanks Beddie - useful info.
Will pop to halfords now - is it just a generic kit???
If anyone on here does have Vag-Com and is in West London there will be some cash in it for you!!!
Much appreciated.

JK

Yeah mate, they will be around the section with all the 'touring' stuff (GB stickers, first aid kits etc...), you can get them on there own or with a set of GB stickers, should'nt be more than £7 tops..

You'll be suprised how many GB motorists don't even bother fitting them at all and there are always a good few cars with just a strip of black tape used to mask off the beam, in fact my mate used that method to do his
Cayman xenons on our last trip, worked a treat and FOC lol! :icon_thumright:

Out of curiosity i enquired at the dealer...£110!!!!!!! 'But that does include a return visit to reset the lights to RHD sir' :faint:

Save yourself the cash mate and spend it on some quality continental beer :icon_thumright:

£110!
Excuse me while I get back up off the floor!
If it requires a computer to do it, why don't they simply fit a button in the car that converts it..... oh yeah, £110 of work thrown away!

Thanks again for your help. Have just nipped out and got the kit.
I assume any residue after you remove them is easy to get off?

JK

My dealer did mine for me last year for FREE. When they did it took the technician about 20-25 minutes from getting the keys from me to returning them afterwards. The DIS gives a warning to remind you to have them changed back after the continental visit. I have used plastic headlamp protectors and black patches in the past, but for halogen headlamps rather than my current bi-xenons.

But I think I'm going to buy a VAG-CON cable from the US so I will be able to do my own this year anyway.

I must admit, things like this make getting Vag-Com a sensible idea... will pay for itself in no time!
Does anyone have details on getting the software and suitable cables?

I've opted to just go for the £7 halford sticker this time around as I'm on doing a bit of night driving in France and I get back to the UK at night, so it's just easier this way!

Thanks to Beddie, Dave and boggysv for their help and advice.

+++

I have just ordered a cable from Ross-Tech in the States. I decided to go for the slightly cheaper Micro-CAN interface cable which is perfectly OK with the 8P A3 but not most other Audis. This cable cost me $249.00 with shipping at $42.45. So a total of $291.45 which is around £146.00.
I may have to pay VAT etc when it's delivered, but I have ordered other items from the US recently and have not had to pay anything at all.

Once you have the cable you can download the VAG-COM software from the Ross-Tech site. The cable acts as a 'dongle' and the software will not work without their cable. There is an on-line manual or you can download a PDF version.

I let you know how I get on. I should be able to sit and change my headlamps whilst I'm on the shuttle!!

yeah Dave... let me know... you know I am really interested in the Euro UK thing...
I was told that the Xenons in Porsches are software aligned so no need for a new set of headlights...

It is really anoying if you need to travel very frequently in Europe... I guess I have been doing miles illegally... but having said that my RHD headlights are set so low... I have to get this checked... illumination is worse than my Clios halogen... not in intensity but in beam reach...

Thanks
Pedro

h5djr said:
I may have to pay VAT etc when it's delivered, but I have ordered other items from the US recently and have not had to pay anything at all.

You won't get away with the VAT this time I'm afraid. A separate invoice will come from FedEx as they pay the VAT initially on your behalf to clear it through customs - they also kindly add a handling charge as well.

You won't get away with the VAT this time I'm afraid. A separate invoice will come from FedEx as they pay the VAT initially on your behalf to clear it through customs - they also kindly add a handling charge as well.

Yep, that was my experience too.

Can you manually adjust non Xenon headlamps?

It depends on the headlamps. On some of my A3s there has been a small lever inside the headlamp unit which you could move but on others the was no lever. On the no lever versions I have always used plastic headlight protectors with the small black patches attached. The patches are supplied with the them and they are marked showing where to apply the patches.

Not to worry. Still cheaper to buy from the States than from the UK suppliers. The cheapest VAG-COM from them seems to be £220 +vat.

Yup - well worth it Dave. You should receive it Tues/Wed I reckon - the service from Ross-Tech is superb.

Yup - well worth it Dave. You should receive it Tues/Wed I reckon - the service from Ross-Tech is superb.

Yes I'm sure it will be. All I have to do then is work out which codes I need to change to change the headlights. So far I've found several on various sites. Perhaps I'll have a quiet chap with the technician at the dealers who did mine last year.

Well the man from FedEx has just delivered my Micro-CAN cable from Ross-Tech. Ordered on Sunday and delivered on Wednesday morning. Excellent service.

And all the man from FedEx wanted was a signature - no money so far! Do I get an invoice for the VAT through the post?

And all the man from FedEx wanted was a signature - no money so far! Do I get an invoice for the VAT through the post?

Yes give them a few days and you will get an invoice.

They try to add on all sorts of handling charges and VAT for the delivery.

I have before sent just the VAT payment and a letter contesting the other charges. They are an worldwide courier so are handling import/export all the time so I refuse to pay these add-ons. The delivery charge is placed at order time in the States.

Never caused me a problem before.

Paul

Oh and one other thing. Always do a full scan and save the log. That way you have a history of your module codings in case you change anything and need to revert back.

I always make a note of the original coding or adaption value before changing.

Have fun.

Paul

Well the man from FedEx has just delivered my Micro-CAN cable from Ross-Tech. Ordered on Sunday and delivered on Wednesday morning. Excellent service.

Let us know how you get on Dave, I've deliberated for ages about getting one of these

Oh and one other thing. Always do a full scan and save the log. That way you have a history of your module codings in case you change anything and need to revert back.

I always make a note of the original coding or adaption value before changing.

Have fun.

Paul

A very valuable tip - wish I'd done that!

Let us know how you get on Dave, I've deliberated for ages about getting one of these

Well I've be trying it this afternoon and everything seems to work as it should. Just need to get my head round the various codes. I did a full Auto-Scan first and saved it into a word file, just in case!

As you still in Cambs, because you would be more than welcome to pop round and have a look or a try sometime.

Have you managed to change any settings over? I've been looking around their website and the UI seems ok(ish) but know what you mean about different codes

I'm still in Cambs, will pop you a PM when I've got some spare time (that doesn't involve shopping for baby things!)

Well I've now been given the details by Ross-tech of what needs to be done to convert my Bi-Xenon headlights for European driving via the VAG-COM forum on ASN. All I need to do now is to try it and see if it works.

Barcardi - When's your baby due!!

It gets a mention on the rosstech wiki.

Would like to know if it works for Dave.

It gets a mention on the rosstech wiki.

Yes, Ross-Tech have added it following our discussions.

I let you know if it works as soon as I get chance to try it.

Well I tried the headlight convert this afternoon and I think it works. Why I say I only think it works is because when I changed the setting in control module 55 channel 10 from 0 to 1 my xenons did go down slightly. Nothing came up in the information balloons about 'Tourist Option' or anything else. The screen just stayed blank when I selected channel 10.

Why I am not completely sure is that, when it was done by my dealer last year using their VAS5051 kit, a message came up on my DIS every time I switched on to remind me to change them back. No message at all when I change using VAG-COM.

I have just had a chat with a chap called Sebastian in Germany through the VAG-COM section of ASN and it seems that all is well.

When I change the Channel 10 in the module 55 (Xenon Headlights) from '0' (not active) to '1' (active) is lowers the beam slightly and puts up a yellow 'Headlamp Range' warning symbol in the DIS whenever the ignition is turned on. It is this that acts a the reminder to change them back.

It also adds a Fault code to the system - 02988 - Left-Hand/Right-Hand Traffic Switchover Active. When I change back again this Fault code is deleted.

So it's all working as it should and I will be able to change my headlights as I'm sat in the car in the Channel Tunnel in June, rather than have to visit the dealer before and after my holiday.

If any one else has a copy of VAG-COM and needs more information on how this is done just let me know.