ipod connection

L

L60N

Hey guys,

How do i work this ipod in my glove box?

Its plugged in, and the unit recognizes its there saying "Aux input coinnected" But i cant figure out how to play tracks?

Im not too bothered right now, i prefer the sound of my engine TBH!!!! :jump:

In my colleagues' Golf and A3, the display changes to 'CD' and you just skip between tracks like you would a CD.

Mines the CD nav, it says "external media source active" but no matter what buttons i bash, nothing happens??

A side side note, i dont have ANY playlists. Do i need to create one? Or should it just be able to select from albums??

Many Thanks

Leon

CD1-5 are the first five playlists and CD6 is all tracks. If you don't have any playlists then the first 5 "discs" will be blank.

When you say "CD Nav" what model is that? The RNS-E is DVD based. Is the RNS-Low CD based?

It is the CD based NAV.

Only specced it for the Shark fin fitting. I plan to flog the CD based and retro fit the DVD based system.

Regards

L60N, you should have some playlists yeah... I have 4 and it comes up disc 1 - 6.

Always seems to start playing Disc 6 tho which is everything...

bit annoying that it doesnt show the playlist name or anything but then I knew it wouldnt...

also, is there a way to get the CD Mix option (i.e. Ipod shuffle) to stay on??

EDIT>> Also...
And does the MODE button do anything on a FBMFSW with GSM prep?? I would have thought it changed from radio to ipod to cd etc etc??

Wait... do you have an AUX port next to the handbrake? I suspect you may do, and this is what the "Aux input connected" message is about. Perhaps your head unit does not recognise the iPod interface.

I've not got any playlists on my i-pod. I just stick it on shuffle and like the posts before, use the CD track selection buttons.

I cant leave it on shuffle cause I listen to my ipod when I go to sleep and I dont want those tracks playing when Im driving!! ;)

Do you have an aux jack (that plugs into the iPods headphone socket) or an interface plug (like the one you use to plug into the iPod when connecting to a computer)?

If it is an aux jack (which some hardware can detect, just like SCART TVs can detect a signal for example, which may also explain the "external media source active" message) you will need to control the iPod using the iPod itself.

If you have a interface plug, which enable control via the HU, you need playlists on your iPod as this is what the HU treats (or is fooled into using by the interface) as virtual CD's. You can have up to 5 individual playlists which will be indexed alphanumerically (and distributed across buttons 1 - 5 on your HU) while button 6 will play all the audio files on your iPod.

For example you would name your playlists...

1 - Driving
2 - Stuff the missus likes!
3 - Kids stuff!
4 - Rock
5 - Jazz Flute

...and they would directly relate to buttons 1 - 5 on the HU.

For an explanation as to why the current HU's don't display track titles etc please see here: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showpost.php?p=474563&postcount=11

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your replies, i've just got back from the lakes!!

Awesome driving experience, the car was just loving those twisties :D

I just need to spend a bit more time with it, learning where the sweet spot for the boost in in various gears!!

I sussed the ipod out, I created a few playlists and they were selectable through CD 1-6.

Shame there is no tracklisting though :sorry:

As a side note, i may not upgrade to the RNSe afterall, the CD nav is pretty nifty, although M's voice is a bit Churchill :hi:

Hi guys.

Thanks for all your replies, i've just got back from the lakes!!

Awesome driving experience, the car was just loving those twisties :D

I just need to spend a bit more time with it, learning where the sweet spot for the boost in in various gears!!

I sussed the ipod out, I created a few playlists and they were selectable through CD 1-6.

Shame there is no tracklisting though :sorry:

As a side note, i may not upgrade to the RNSe afterall, the CD nav is pretty nifty, although M's voice is a bit Churchill :hi:

I'd def consider the RNS-E upgrade just for all the other poss functions, TMC live traffic info, SD card slots (up to 8GB of music with full tracklisting and album names etc visible on the DIS), telephone on the screen, poss TV/DVD function if you connect it, bigger full colou screen looks so much nicer!

Give it a thought....

Well the tracklisting could just about swing it for me to be honest. Thats about the only thing im sorely missing.

The CD based system has TMC too. :)