S-tronic gearbox to handle more power

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have just found this item on another forum which indicates an increase in the power than the S-tronic will be able to handle, especially in cars with longitudinal engines

"Audi is preparing a new version of its S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox with the ability to drive more power to the wheels and also work with longitudinally mounted engines. The gearbox is expected to first show up in the upcoming Q5 SUV, but will eventually make its way to the A4 and A5.

One of the primary limitations of the old gearbox was the inability to handle torque figures higher than 320Nm, however this has been boosted to 550Nm in the new model. This means we’re likely to see more performance models with dual-clutch shifting. At the moment Audi is forced to use a CVT transmission in the A5 3.2L FSI and the S5 tiptronic models because the engines develop 330Nm and 440Nm respectively. The current RS4 develops 430Nm so even with a generous boost for the new generation model, it’s likely Audi will be able to offer dual-clutch as an option and make it below the 550Nm cutoff.

Previous owners of Audi and VW dual-clutch gearboxes were limited to six gears, however the new model will get one more. Both automatic and manual shift modes will be available for drivers.

The gearbox is also likely to be mated to the new quattro AWD system with sport differential.

Audi is expected to completely replace standard automatic or CVT gearboxes with dual-clutch ‘boxes on all but a few models such as their Q7 SUV and A8 limo due to higher torque figures."

Sounds good. Now they just need to make it so that when you are using the paddles in sport mode that its truly the driver totally in control!

How do you think the 7 gears will work in terms of ratios? e.g. will it be an extra gear on top of the current 6 gears to give even lower cruising revs or will all of them be slightly shorter

My current 2.0TDI-170 produces 350Nm. The original articles on the DSG said it's limit was 350Nm so perhaps someone has got the wrong figure from somewhere.

Excellent! Thanks Dave, does your car handle the power alrite?

Never had any problems to date. If it doesn't it will be Audi's problem!

I'm sure, knowing Audi, they will have built in a fair safety margin

How do you think the 7 gears will work in terms of ratios? e.g. will it be an extra gear on top of the current 6 gears to give even lower cruising revs or will all of them be slightly shorter

Slightly shorter I would think to take account of the trend toward smaller engine capacities.

I agree Mike, John at Vag-Tech has a Mk 1 TT 3.2 V6 DSG with a turbo on it running 400ft-lb and he's got a standard clutch! So I'm getting 300ft-lb from my map then for sure! Thanks anyway Mike! I think I will go with the revo...

So any rumours of it going in the S3 bearing in mind it will go in the TTS?