Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

ashtray converted into "itray"

Hi guys,
    Im new to this forum but I just wanna share this with you all.
    Dont know how many of you own ipod and use Dension ipod connection (or any other aftermarket cable) with OEM headunit. The Dension allows you to control ipod either directly or via headunit. However, it doesnt show names of tracks or artisits. It only shows track numbers. I guess most people use some form of ipod holder on the dash?
    Since i dont smoke, i converted my ashtray into an ipod docking station! It works a treat and doesnt have any cradle on show. So i can control ipod via headunit and still view the tracks/artists from my ipod screen.

I wanna upload/attach a photo for you guys but dont really know how to (since I cannot post attachments) any guidance would be appreciated.
    A picture will show you exactly what i mean ("a picture speaks a thousand words")

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Finally figured out how to do it. Fingers crossed that this works!!
    If this works, I can provide more pictures if you want (ie before, during and after photos)

Smoking is good for you

Status
    Derbyshire, land of the free home of the brave.
    Defo get some more pics up fella!!

Oh, and welcome to ASN!
    8P S3 S-Tronic BE. Stage 2 from Awesome GTi.

Gone - S4 bi-turbo - forever a place in my heart!

S3IZZO
    That's very clever, i'd love one of those.

On Boost

Status
    I smoke , but not in the car , and even if i did i wouldn't use the ashtry i'll flick it ou the window , so i have a ashtry doing nothing , can you do some sort of fitting guide mate?

Thanks

p

Neutral

Status
    hi there, check out one of my old posts of my car i have the same set up except my ipod hides inside the ash tray

1st Gear

Status
    [quote=phantom;505217]I smoke , but not in the car , and even if i did i wouldn't use the ashtry i'll flick it ou the window , so i have a ashtry doing nothing , can you do some sort of fitting guide mate?

Yeah, I'll try find more pics that I got which might help you out & give you an idea (a sort of photo snapshot) of the building/fitting process. Anyways, I notice you from Manchester and Im not particularly far so could always give you a hand in a spare wkend.

Audi A4 Avant 1.8T 190 S-Line its good to be back

Status
    Looks very nice mate, step by step instructions would be very nice indeed.

3rd Gear

Status
    Which Denison kit - 100?
    RS4 family wagon.....gone but not forgotten

6th Gear

Status
    This looks to be something similar

On Boost

Status
    [quote=Yung Fook;505578]
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    I smoke , but not in the car , and even if i did i wouldn't use the ashtry i'll flick it ou the window , so i have a ashtry doing nothing , can you do some sort of fitting guide mate?

Yeah, I'll try find more pics that I got which might help you out & give you an idea (a sort of photo snapshot) of the building/fitting process. Anyways, I notice you from Manchester and Im not particularly far so could always give you a hand in a spare wkend.
    Hiya mate, that would be great!!!!

Not sure if i want a Ipod docking station , but i wouldn't mind some help on using the same idea for a docking station for my satnav?

Thanks

p

Lets make that kitten purr...

Status
    I have the dock in the glove box but I think I'd rather have it located in the ash-tray. Looks good!
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

1st Gear

Status
    [quote=phantom;505608]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung Fook View Post

Hiya mate, that would be great!!!!

Not sure if i want a Ipod docking station , but i wouldn't mind some help on using the same idea for a docking station for my satnav?

Thanks

p
    check this thread for my Tomtom ashtray mount

Slealth TOMTOM One mount
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

1st Gear

Status
    [quote=phantom;505217]I smoke , but not in the car , and even if i did i wouldn't use the ashtry i'll flick it ou the window , so i have a ashtry doing nothing , can you do some sort of fitting guide mate?

How spooky!! The link posted by MarcQuinlivan pretty much describes in detail how I converted the ashtray into the ipod docking station. Someone else must have the same idea!! Im sure the link will be more than useful for you guys. I've managed to find some pictures that will provide a photo snapshot of the fitting process. PM me if you need more guidance.

Original ashtray & ipod nano template

Car body filler process with lots of smoothing

After primer, spray few layers of top coat paint and finish with laquer

Drill hole for cable access and connect to headunit

Final fitting

1st Gear

Status
    [quote=Oli.H;505594]Which Denison kit - 100?

Yeah, I think I have the gateway 100 but it might be the Dension iceLink ONE with ipod cable (not active cradle)