Firsy Play with Vag-Com

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered Vag Com from Ross Tech (Genuine Version) on Monday evening and received it from the US yesterday (Wednesday) morning!!!!

Installed the Vag-Com software and plugged the cable in and off i trotted to the A3 on the driveway!

Had a quick play on it scanning for fault codes but none came up which was good.

I then did a few things............

-Changed the locking system so that one click on the key fob opened all the doors rather than having to click it twice (hated that as the boot sometimes didn't unlock!)

-Changed the dash light settings so that the needles and backlight stays on all the time rather than only when the headlights are on.

-Changed the auto windows setting so that when the windows are open and the car is locked when you keep the key fob pressed down as soon as the windows closed you could let go of the key fob and the windows continued to close, rather than having to keep the key fob pressed down until the windows closed.

If anyone wants anything doing to their car or scanning fault codes and clearing gimme a shout!

Very good service from Ross-Tech as usual then!

I must change the auto-windows setting on mine - that's a nice little mod that one.

You'll probably get another lovely little envelope shortly which will be an invoice from Fed-Ex for the VAT on the lead - they also will very kindly add a little extra as a 'handling fee'.

lol I currently owe £500+ on my rims from us and wheel from germany! i'm gonna buy vag-com soon, how much was it all together rob?

I ordered the VAGCOM-Hex+CAN USB and including delivery it was around £259.99ish

Well worth it as you are able to log data (boost, speed etc) and plot them on excel and stuff!

sure the noviety will wear off soon though!

RobinA3 said:
I ordered the VAGCOM-Hex+CAN USB and including delivery it was $279.99.

Well worth it as you are able to log data (boost, speed etc) and plot them on excel and stuff!

sure the noviety will wear off soon though!

Where abouts in Cheshire are ya matey?

RobinA3 said:
I ordered the VAGCOM-Hex+CAN USB and including delivery it was $279.99.

Robin, did you order direct from the Ross-Tech site?

Been wanting Vag-Com for ages now so really tempted again lol :)

N8KOW said:
Is that your bentley in your picture?

LOL

Trust me, if i could afford a Bentley i wouldn't be driving an Audi A3!

I work at Bentley Motors and i regularly get the chance to have them for the eveniing for driving assessments.

RobinA3 said:
I work at Bentley Motors and i regularly get the chance to have them for the eveniing for driving assessments.

"Driving Assessments" - that really has made me laugh.....:yahoo: Oh yeh forgot the bentley factory was in Crewe, you might have to let us know when you next get a Bentley in, I'll give you some "assessment" as well :p So what does it feel like in a £120k+ motor?

Compared to my previous cars the build quality of my A3 feels like a Bentley. So the Bentley compared to the A3 must be mind boggling :(

Cheers Nath!

RobinA3 said:
LOL

Trust me, if i could afford a Bentley i wouldn't be driving an Audi A3!

So, did you buy the A3 through the Bentley employee purchase scheme? I did a factory tour in Crewe two years ago and one of the lads was telling me it was quite a good scheme - any car in the VAG range at "mates rates".

MarcQuinlivan said:
So, did you buy the A3 through the Bentley employee purchase scheme? I did a factory tour in Crewe two years ago and one of the lads was telling me it was quite a good scheme - any car in the VAG range at "mates rates".

I couldn't go through work as my car was 2nd hand and i could only get discount on new cars.

Oh wow I didn't know you could do a 'one touch lock button closes any opened windows'... That's pritty niffty. I remember we had that on our old Passat and wondered why on earth it's not standard on the A3!

Actually that raises a question, why don't they turn on such features?

Have just been out to change a few settings on the car with vag-com and I can't for some reason get the auto close feature on the windows to work.

I thought that if I held down the locking button on the remote, the windows should all close if they are open when the car locks. I thought this was enabled anyway by default - doesn't appear to be the case :uhm:

Anyone help me out with the settings I need to change to enable this feature and also go that step further to allow me to shut the windows without having to hold down the locking button on the remote.

Have just been out to change a few settings on the car with vag-com and I can't for some reason get the auto close feature on the windows to work.

I thought that if I held down the locking button on the remote, the windows should all close if they are open when the car locks. I thought this was enabled anyway by default - doesn't appear to be the case :uhm:

Anyone help me out with the settings I need to change to enable this feature and also go that step further to allow me to shut the windows without having to hold down the locking button on the remote.

The window auto closing only works when the windows are already open and you lock the car and then keep the button held down, the windows will start to close and then you can let go of the button and the windows will continue to close. Here is the way to do it.

Enable Auto Window/Roof From Remote:
Follow 'Initial Steps', above, then...

Click on '46- Central Conv.'

When you go into this module, it will scan for fault codes and go straight to a fault code screen. It should say 'No Fault Codes Found'. Click the 'Done, go back' button to get to the main screen for this module.

Click on 'Long Coding - 07'

WRITE DOWN your original long code before doing anything else at all.

Click on 'Long Coding Helper'

In the Long Coding Helper, set:

Byte 03 to '40'

Byte 04 to '3F'

Byte 05 to '3F'
(Just set the value given for the whole byte, you don't have to flip every bit individually within those bytes)

Click 'Transfer Coding'

Quit out of the Long Coding Helper

See that the new Long Code differs from the original one

Click 'Do it!'

Verify that the new Long Code is stored.

Click 'Done, go back'

Click 'Close controller, Go Back'

Thanks Robin - I'll give it a go. Knowing me I was probably changing the wrong code :whistle2:

Hmm, still not working and have followed details as per Robin's post - any other ideas?

The windows don't even attempt to close when holding down the lock button on the remote. Is there some other setting that could prevent this working?

Could someone who has this working PM me your Long Coding for control module 46 so I can compare your settings to mine?

Hmm, still not working and have followed details as per Robin's post - any other ideas?

The windows don't even attempt to close when holding down the lock button on the remote. Is there some other setting that could prevent this working?

Could someone who has this working PM me your Long Coding for control module 46 so I can compare your settings to mine?

Just sent you my long coding for my car after the window setting was done.

Make sure you have got the right number in the right bit block as i got mixed up with 03 which turned out to be 02 as i forgot it started at 00 not 01, if that makes sense.

Right, looks like there are differences in the number of bytes on the long coding. Robin has 12 whereas I have 14.

Byte 03 referred to earlier up the thread is actually byte 05 in my long coding, byte 04 is byte 06 etc.

I've set it as Byte 05 '40', Byte 06 '3F' and Byte 07 '3F'. The coding was accepted by Vagcom which is a start - will test it once the weather improves.