BMW Alert! New D3 coming 2008/9

Amchlolor

Reaction score
I'll keep it brief, for anyone interested in a D3.
New bi-turbo one been announced.
Initially only available in coupe from Aug 08, but saloon and tourer will be available later.
214bhp / 450nm torque.
Under 150g/km Co2.

It is a bit baffling how Alpina/BMW can produce these powerful diesel engines that come into reasonable tax brackets & do decent MPG. I'm not saying I'm going to chop my Audi in for one (I like the interior and exterior styling of Audis over BMWs too much at the moment) but Audi need catch up a bit with their diesel engines.

don't like the wood but otherwise its nice. I don't like BM dashboards though.

Not really a big fan of Aplinas, I think their image is a bit mismatch, sporty bumper bits and wheels with the interior looking like something out of an old bentley/jag. Not knocking the quality of them, just always been something not quite right about them in my eyes.

S3IZZO said:
Not really a big fan of Aplinas, I think their image is a bit mismatch, sporty bumper bits and wheels with the interior looking like something out of an old bentley/jag.

Mine isn't like that.
It's very like my A3 S-line was, in fact.
Black cloth/part leather with aluminium trim.

Alpinas. Hmm. Kinda the same as the standard beamer but a more pretentious badge and more garish styling touches. I'm probably missing something. People obviously like them. I'd just admit 'i drive a BMW' and save a few quid. 335 coupe is a classier motor hands down. But then again i'd rather have an A5 anyway so...y'know.

PNH80 said:
Alpinas. Hmm. Kinda the same as the standard beamer but a more pretentious badge and more garish styling touches. I'm probably missing something.

You are missing something, quite a lot in fact.
Let's put this from an Audi perspective, because it's all a good few people on here understand, or are willing to listen to.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, Audi have a tuning branch called 'Albino'.
Albino take a bog standard 170tdi A3, put a bunch of stuff on it to crank the horsepower up to 200bhp, lob some metallic paint and exclusive 19" alloys on it, improve the handling and ride and stick some other little touches on it too.
Sound good?
Now, let's just imagine they do this for the same price as a normal 170tdi.
You'd be a fool NOT to go for it, wouldn't you?

There, my friend, is your Alpina D3.
Loads of stuff you cannot get in a standard M-sport, for no extra money.

Erm...no i'm not missing the point at all and i'm very familiar with Alpina's work. I just don't like it much. The D3 is pretty nice depending on options, colours etc. Seems very good value too. Not arguing that.
Alpina styling at times seems to be stuck in the 80's to me. Pin stripes down the sides, wheel designs etc. Sometimes things just don't need 'fiddling with'.

bowfer said:
You are missing something, quite a lot in fact.
Let's put this from an Audi perspective, because it's all a good few people on here understand, or are willing to listen to.

Let's just say, for the sake of argument, Audi have a tuning branch called 'Albino'.
Albino take a bog standard 170tdi A3, put a bunch of stuff on it to crank the horsepower up to 200bhp, lob some metallic paint and exclusive 19" alloys on it, improve the handling and ride and stick some other little touches on it too.
Sound good?
Now, let's just imagine they do this for the same price as a normal 170tdi.
You'd be a fool NOT to go for it, wouldn't you?

There, my friend, is your Alpina D3.
Loads of stuff you cannot get in a standard M-sport, for no extra money.

Will the Albino Audi be available only in white :laugh:

PNH80 said:
Alpina styling at times seems to be stuck in the 80's to me. Pin stripes down the sides, wheel designs etc. Sometimes things just don't need 'fiddling with'.

Again, I don't know where you're getting you info from.
No pinstripes.

bowfer said:
Again, I don't know where you're getting you info from.
No pinstripes.

They're an optional extra on the D3 and all other Alpinas. I've seen a D3 in black with cream leather and double gold pinstripes down the sides. Looked like a pimps car. No other way of putting it.

If I was looking for a diesel car, especially if it was a company car the D3 would be hard to beat. I looked at BM's before getting the RS4, only thing I dont like is the interior. Perhaps its a grower or its me. Didnt help that I asked for test drives in 335d and 335i and all they could do was produce a 330i and tell me its like the 335i without an extra turbo. I tried to explain it was pointless test driving it, but they didnt understand, so i did and thought it was ***** and slow, and went somewhere else. Oh and I said, the M3 was a possibilty and he actually laughed at me :yes:

Not all Alpinas styling works for me, but the D3 looks good i think (depends on colour and options of course)

Jesus...I thought I'd seen new depths of brand blindness...but I'm mistaken.
It's not got 4 rings on the front of it's silly oversized 'grille' thing...so it's crap.
I get the idea.

PNH80 said:
They're an optional extra on the D3 and all other Alpinas. I've seen a D3 in black with cream leather and double gold pinstripes down the sides. Looked like a pimps car. No other way of putting it.

So you just assumed they must all be like that?
:think:

bowfer said:
Mine isn't like that.
It's very like my A3 S-line was, in fact.
Black cloth/part leather with aluminium trim.

Each to their own, you seem to be trying to defend your choice for changing car/brand on here when nobody is questioning it anyway.

The D3 looks like a nice car if that's the kind of car you're in the market for, I hope you enjoy it :thumbsup:

S3IZZO said:
Each to their own, you seem to be trying to defend your choice for changing car/brand on here when nobody is questioning it anyway.

The D3 looks like a nice car if that's the kind of car you're in the market for, I hope you enjoy it :thumbsup:

Nah just explaining you dont have to have green leather and wood stuck trim :)

I seem to recall someone one here making sweeping statements all the time about how s-lines were "chav" for having extra bits on them, as well as any other car that came in more than one variety of trim to make the car look a little more sporty...

Now let me think, who was it........?

PNH80 said:
But then again i'd rather have an A5 anyway so...y'know.

Ok so not strictly relavant to this thread but it does involve BMW's and Audi's.

I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my coupe, which I really, really, really love but want to get replace it before it gets too leggy. So I have a little look through at whats available for my price limit.

I'm thinking the M version of my car would be nice, an S5 and an RS4 would also be nice. I'll probably get something that is 6-12months old.

The insutance for me on the M coupe. £900, the S5 £525 the RS4 £650.

Why sucha difference, out of all of them I would have thought the Rs4 would have been the most expesive...

Yeah i'd have thought the RS4 would have been the most expensive out of that lot too, but insurance works in strange ways - my new S3 is cheaper to insure than my old one by a considerable margin and an S5 is cheaper than my current S3. It all depends on the amount of claims for that particular model. Someone somewhere must be stacking Z4M's into walls or something :think:

I thought this was an Audi forum...

Cannot understand this thread... really! Nothing to do with Audi, nothing to do with A3...waste of space!

Good I am not a moderator... no hard feelings bowfer... but...

are Audis sold to insecure people?

Let the man (bowfer) speak, some people on here seem really defensive when there is no need.

bowfer said:
So you just assumed they must all be like that?
:think:

What? Who said that? I think if you READ my comments properly you'd see i actually said the D3 looks nice and seems good value. I said i saw 'a' D3 (i.e. one in particular) that looked like a pimp mobile. And in general i don't like Alpina styling, i think it needs a kick up the ****. They seem to get 'retro' and 'old fashioned' mixed up most of the time.
It's nothing personal. To be honest when you start your BMW posts in this forum it's obvious you're looking for a reaction. Seems a bit sad but good luck to you.

marriedblonde said:
Ok so not strictly relavant to this thread but it does involve BMW's and Audi's.

I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my coupe, which I really, really, really love but want to get replace it before it gets too leggy. So I have a little look through at whats available for my price limit.

I'm thinking the M version of my car would be nice, an S5 and an RS4 would also be nice. I'll probably get something that is 6-12months old.

The insutance for me on the M coupe. £900, the S5 £525 the RS4 £650.

Why sucha difference, out of all of them I would have thought the Rs4 would have been the most expesive...

They're all lovely motors MB. Lets be honest you can't go wrong with any. Even a 3 series coupe with some nice sporting options would be a fair replacement. The RS4 is most useable and iconic, S5 is a beautiful car, performance aside and you already know your coupe so getting a more powerful version could be a nice progression. I do love the Z4 coupe. I looked at one but just didn't fancy the insurance right now!
Insurance can vary wildly, they look at the potential social status of the driver...e.g. RS4's and S5's are going to be bought mainly by more mature , professional clients, more so than the Z4 coupe because of the price. Younger drivers are assumed to drive with no care or consideration so they crucify you with insurance....Thats my guess anyway!!

Be sure to let us know what you decide on, whatever you get i'd love to see it.

PNH80 said:
S5 is a beautiful car,

The more S5 / A5 I see on the road the more I think they look Ugly and Awkward. Especially compared to a 3 series coupe.

Not that keen on the new A4's I've seen either.

rob1210 said:
The more S5 / A5 I see on the road the more I think they look Ugly and Awkward. Especially compared to a 3 series coupe.

Not that keen on the new A4's I've seen either.

I like the 3 series coupe a lot (as i suggested to MB above) even though i think they made a MASSIVE error putting a hard top on the convertible, the roof line is awkward and a horrible square shape at the back, should have stuck with the traditional ragtop in my opinion. I hope the M3 cab is a ragtop or it'll be a tragedy.
The A/S5 is better in real life than photos and i just feel more affinity with Audi's sporting heritage. I prefer the way the cars 'feel'. Totally based on personal opinion of course. I'd take either given the choice but the Audi just pips it.

bowfer said:
I'll keep it brief, for anyone interested in a D3.
New bi-turbo one been announced.
Initially only available in coupe from Aug 08, but saloon and tourer will be available later.
214bhp / 450nm torque.
Under 150g/km Co2.

You men from the North are a wee bit funny. If anybody here was interested in a D3 they would read the BMW site. Why post that here mate? Really. Why? To **** Audi enthusiasts off?

PNH80 said:
the roof line is awkward and a horrible square shape at the back, should have stuck with the traditional ragtop in my opinion. I hope the M3 cab is a ragtop or it'll be a tragedy.
The A/S5 is better in real life than photos and i just feel more affinity with Audi's sporting heritage. I prefer the way the cars 'feel'. Totally based on personal opinion of course. I'd take either given the choice but the Audi just pips it.

I like the 3 with the hard top. Personal opinion.

I think the A/S5 is worse in real like. I don't kile the styling on the 3 series saloon but the coupe and convertible are fantastic looking.

Have you driven many BMWs? I owned them for years and changed to Audi because I got fed up with the 3 series saloon image but I think they are great cars to drive.

PNH80 said:
To be honest when you start your BMW posts in this forum it's obvious you're looking for a reaction. Seems a bit sad but good luck to you.

There are quite a few people in here expressed an interest in the D3, over the past year or so.
I dare say there are a few will consider it to replace their A3.
This post is designed to help them.
If you think that's sad, I think it's equally sad to post replies when you could just as easily ignore it.
It is, after all, clearly headed as a BMW related thread.
:rolleyes:

rob1210 said:
I like the 3 with the hard top. Personal opinion.

I think the A/S5 is worse in real like. I don't kile the styling on the 3 series saloon but the coupe and convertible are fantastic looking.

Have you driven many BMWs? I owned them for years and changed to Audi because I got fed up with the 3 series saloon image but I think they are great cars to drive.

My last car was a 325ci and it was a really nice car. No complaints about it whatsoever. It just started to feel it's age towards the end and so i made the swap. I agree totally on the styling of the coupe compared to the saloon....different class.

As for your comment Bowfer... By 'looking for a reaction' i was referring to your attitude whenever someone says anything slightly anti BMW. You seem to pick a fight even when people are agreeing with you! I've owned a beamer and enjoyed it and i would own another, maybe a coupe in a couple of years. I just don't like Alpina styling, i think it lacks imagination and needs updating. Totally my opinion so keep the toys in the pram and we can all be best buddies...

bowfer said:
I dare say there are a few will consider it to replace their A3.

My A3 will be getting replaced by an audi not a BMW, you have been receiving alot of stick on here, but its because your opinion does **** people off. :think: Weird that, because all you're doing is expressing yourself.....

Out of interest and I know this is an Audi forum... Was speccing just for fun, an A5 3.2 Sport and a 3 Series 330i M Sport and with more or less the same equipment/options the beamer was actually £1000 cheaper!!!!!!

That confused me... really!

Pedro

Have they priced the 330i slightly lower as the 335 is the flagship model?

I priced up a 3.0Tdi quattro sport A5 and with a few choice options it was only about 5K cheaper than the S5 I spec'd... And I know which one I would rather have...

I'll be dead by the time global warming really takes hold!