MFSW to FBMFSW

Where is this control module?

It's under the steering column, the "flat" module with the yellow tape over the end of it.

RS4StartButton046-large.jpg

RS4StartButton049-large.jpg

Thanks to MarcQ for the photos.

Thats the hard way to remove it which also can break the pins, you have to slide a thin screwdriver through a small hole in front & push sideways to release a clip & also a clip at rear you can release with your finger then it drops down, the images show the module with the protective plastic covers of that also hold the connector pins in place, they break of easily so if you intend to remove try the correct way as your well & truly fecked if you break the pins.

Of course you have to remove the wheel & slip ring doing it the correct way as the module has one screw in the front behind the wheel to hold in place & the slip ring is of course connected to it, make sure you centre the steering wheel 1st & remove then tape the slip ring inner & outer ring together so they cant move so when putting back it is in same place as when removed, thats important, very!!!

No I didnt have the wheel before, I actually bought the F version & new slip ring & changed mine over & as I've already advised you James cars from 05 onwards whether they have the MFSW or not come fitted with compatible module & slip ring!!!

If you look at etka it shows the F version from 8P5 onwards which denotes 05 cars, yours is 07

Yours is compatible, what is it that you dont believe me saying, why would I lie if you were gonna buy a wheel from me, doesnt do me any favours does it, thats why I rang audi for you & checked your vin for whats installed!!!

:think:
Easy now...

I didn't actually know you didn't have a MFSW in the first place or swapped the control module over.

It's not a matter of not believing you, more of questioning the conflicting information on here - in reading the earlier posts they inferred that cars without MFSW needed a new control module when fitting a (FB)MFSW.

Then maybe James you should take the word of a person that was trying to help, save you the hassle & actually done the mod, has rung audi for you using your VIN & has already advised you 3 times on email your car had the parts installed literally what that night/previous day before you posted on here, I mean does beg the question why would I give you incorrect information when I had done the above already then you quote conflicting info on here after I'd done all this for you, lol, I mean come on fella, kinda silly no???

Hey, no need for this to get outa hand Nigel :sadlike:.

Sure I appreciate the help. I didn't realise you were such a serial modder until I read a few more of your posts :respekt:

Its not outta hand at all so dont worry about it, I'll PM.

Yeah & that little **** has scarpered to Prai Da burn like a lobster Portugal, lol

Guilty as charged, I started wiring last week but as I'm doing number of bits of wiring for car havnt got to the nitty gritty yet as ****** module faulty for something else & awaiting a new door module aswell which I get either later today or tuesday post, when done be worth waiting for, had on my S3 b4 & very cool, click once & windows, sunroof close & mirrors fold, lol, click unlock mirrors unfold, circuit board is gonna be fun to build

hi,

i have a 2006 A3 Sportback, DSG, i don't have Steering wheel Controls or Cruise Control, if i was to fit a FBMFSW and get the adapter will the steering wheel controls work? or i need more parts???

thanks

Well given yours is a 2006 facelift model it probably has the correct slip ring/steering module, but unless you have an rns-e installed then its only going to be asthetic, so I would also consider an RNS-E install at same time, trust me you wont regret it, also with your steering module you could buy the cruise stalk & then install/code & it will work as far as I'm aware, the paddles will work fine with or without rns-e as you have already anyway.

To check your current slip ring/steering module call audi parts with your vin & ask them which part number is installed on your car for both mentioned, if module is F then its compatible which usually denotes the slip ring is also compatible.

I can install wheel, rns etc etc if need be, the RNS can be installed later if you like & just install the wheel for now, of course without functional buttons.

that's not technically true Nigel - while the buttons won't work, the volume and track dials will still work.

When I bought my current A3 I specced it with the Symphony and MFSW with no intention of upgrading to an RNS-e. I just wanted the radio controls on the wheel so I could change tracks, radio stations and volume without having to reach over.

Now that I have the RNS-e with SDS I can obviously utilise all the functionality of the MFSW, but the RNS-e is by no means a prerequisite for installing the MFSW.

I'm sure you know all that already, but just wanted to clarify the point for those who may not.

True enough - I had a loan A3 with MFSW and a bog standard CD player earlier in the week. The MFSW controlled the volume and radio channel very nicely.

i have the Symphony system too

so what parts do i need?

how do i make the controls on FBMFSW to work?

thanks

Ok well I dont even consider the MFSW with anything but RNS tbh, but if you wanna use it with the symphony in its limited form its the same fitting as previously advised, fitting new wheel & coding.

that would be a better system, you will love it fella

got a quote it will cost me £280 to get the controls to work!!!! is that right????:w00t:

Uh nooo if you mean have the wheel fitted & coded??

If it includes the rns installed aswell then thats still high as you have a symphony already so no install of double din needed.

Hey I'm in the south east, come to me & I'll do for you nowhere near that price & maybe even sell you the wheel aswell, PM if interested.

Would need to confirm some details of car 1st incase it needs steering module upgrade & slip ring, remind me which car you wanna stick in & year?

does anybody have the part numbers for the fbmfsw and may be other parts ie wiring loom or air bag if needed thanks, i have a 2007 s3 with pioneer d3 bluetooth an ipod.

You're not thinking of buying new from audi are you cause you better lie down 1st, lol.

Do you want a wheel, airbag & loom cause I have a new perforated leather one that are rare, has paddles but tbh you can do 2 things remove & doesnt leave holes or leave on & dont use or wire them up to another function, Marc has done & he hasnt got dsg so if he's happy with then i'd assume you would be as he is very particular about what he isntalls on his car as I am.

Ok I have this wheel for sale now anyone interested, comes with a TTS badge but can easily be chnaged for S-Line & they're dirt cheap on ebay, PM if interested:

SDC10147%20(Copy).JPG

Nigel, Tried replying to your PM but mine arent working currently! I'll have to pass on this one as I didnt realise it had the DSG paddles, (I know that they can be removed but I'd prefer one without)

Hi. I currently have a multi function steering wheel without paddles on a 2007 a4. I would like to get one like the one in the first picture. With red stich and perforated leather and the paddles. So i would be interested in what fbmfsw means and what vag com modifications i would have to make when changing from a wheel with no paddles to one that has them. Any other parts required than the actual wheel (that comes with airbag i hope).Could you please tell me what the part number of the one in the first picture is and a link on ebay or on another website with details about that steering wheel and a price. I've been searching with no luck. Thank you very much.

is a VAGCOM need in the fitting process?

is a VAGCOM need in the fitting process?

As I said to you on PM, coding is required. If you already have MF you may get away with out BUT errors will need to be ckeared and some calibration may be required.

I have a couple of wheels for sale, PM me if interested

just fitted it, the ESP and Steering wheel light cam eon, but went off after 1 mile of driving, but MF are not working.....i need a VAGCOM right?

I will eventually get the FBMFSW but need to also figure in the probable need for new module & slip ring plus the need for vagcom.