AH FabricationsChris Nott

Thread: Swirls

GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Swirls

Bloody scratches on my nice black paint in the form of light swirl marks. I knew that black would be difficult but didn't realise just how sensitive the paintwork is. Gave it a really good clean today and the marks are visible in the sun. Pain in my arse. Hasn't even been out of the showroom for a month!! What do you use on your black A3s? Is that Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover any good? Opinions please and advice.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

2. # ADS
    ADS

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers
    Bloody scratches on my nice black paint in the form of light swirl marks. I knew that black would be difficult but didn't realise just how sensitive the paintwork is. Gave it a really good clean today and the marks are visible in the sun. Pain in my arse. Hasn't even been out of the showroom for a month!! What do you use on your black A3s? Is that Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover any good? Opinions please and advice.
    For any questions on car cleaning i'd go to the 'detailing' forum on here. A lot of people there know exactly what they're talking about with regards to products, equipment and techniques.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

S3IZZO
    How do you wash your car? - 2 bucket method?

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Are you washing it with a sponge?? Thats the most common effect from using this to wash your car. Get on www.detailingworld.co.uk and start looking at what tools the professionals use. Especially 'Clark' from www.polishedbliss.co.uk in fact, use their site as they have great guides on there! Hope this helps

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3IZZO
    How do you wash your car? - 2 bucket method?
    Eh?? What do you mean mate? I use the 2 hand method.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

S3IZZO
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers
    Eh?? What do you mean mate? I use the 2 hand method.
    Read up on the FAO's on how to wash the car and minimise swirl marks.

In short:

Have 2 buckets, one with your car wash in and one with fresh water in.

Use the 2nd bucket with fresh water to clean the sponge (better to use a lambs wool mitt) before you go back into the bucket with the car wash as this will remove all the grit etc from the sponge/mitt into the fresh water bucket so you're not just applying all the grit back on to the paint work and causing swirl marks - basicly just ensures the soapy water remains clean.
    Last edited by S3IZZO; 4th March 2008 at 15:34.

6th Gear

Status
    My black car arrived on the back of a trailer with 6 miles on the clock...

It had swirls and other marks that sucked, so I told them to get it sorted.

In the end, the dealer took it back and hand glazed it... and it looked wayyyyy better.... you could see all the multicoloured flecks in the metallic paint.

I wont be missing having a black car for a change.
    Last edited by Kontraband; 4th March 2008 at 15:42.

5th Gear

Status
    If you dont want to pay a lot of money to get a pro to do it and dont have the money/skill to buy/use a machine Autoglym Super Resin Polish is about as good as it gets for a hand polish. It might help to mask the swirls to a certain extent which is better than nothing.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

S3IZZO
    I like dodo juice or collinite 476 as a wax myself - I don't rate Autoglym that much, leaves too me residue after use.

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah it does leave a bit of dust but its about as good as you can get for a polish by hand.

I personally use Carlack Sealant followed by P21S and will be adding Collinite soon for durability.
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

4th Gear

Status
    Get rid of the sponge! I take about 2 hours to wash the car properly.
    I'm getting the car detailed on Tuesday so looking forward to that.
    Ex 2006 A3 2.0 TDI owner

2010 Polo GTI 6R

2nd Gear

Status
    And just totally forget the Turtle products...
    My old car.. Still miss the lil rocket :-)

Remapped Stage II - Forge FMIC - Dahlb�ck Intake - K&N - DieselGeek ShortShift - Phenolic - Powerflex Dogbone - Rial Daytona Race 8.5x18" ET30 - Forge Tiebars - Bilstein B8 - H&R 25mm - R32 rear ARB - H&R 20mm Spacers - EBC Discs - Red Stuff pads

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Forget about halfrauds full stop...

I cant spell !

Status
    Dont worry my car arrived from the dealer in January complete with swirls all over the car, paint defects on the bumper etc. It now back inagain for the second time to hopefully once and for all get it sorted !
    Otherwise its a trip to finer details and the dealer paying for it !

Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

I cant spell !

Status
    Dont worry my car arrived from the dealer in January complete with swirls all over the car, paint defects on the bumper etc. It now back inagain for the second time to hopefully once and for all get it sorted !

Richard
    MY12 Black edition TT Roadster with a tractor engine !

Newbie in Poole

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarjantson

Richard
    I ordered a Black car which arrived in Jan and rejected it because of swirls and scratches, the dealer tried to sort it out but made it Worse!.
    Good thing really as I'm now back looking at the A3

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Can't thank everybody enough for all their good advice. I'll start using the 2 bucket method and get some decent polish. There is a place here that detials using Meguire's products so I think I'll give them a try. Thing is I hate to part with the cash as the car is only a month old and it shouldn't really be necessary at this point. Black really is hard work. In saying that, I love to take care of my car and really enjoy spending time on it cleaning etc

Cheers