Swirls

GlasgowRangers

Reaction score
****** scratches on my nice black paint in the form of light swirl marks. I knew that black would be difficult but didn't realise just how sensitive the paintwork is. Gave it a really good clean today and the marks are visible in the sun. Pain in my ****. Hasn't even been out of the showroom for a month!! What do you use on your black A3s? Is that Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover any good? Opinions please and advice.

GlasgowRangers said:
****** scratches on my nice black paint in the form of light swirl marks. I knew that black would be difficult but didn't realise just how sensitive the paintwork is. Gave it a really good clean today and the marks are visible in the sun. Pain in my ****. Hasn't even been out of the showroom for a month!! What do you use on your black A3s? Is that Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl remover any good? Opinions please and advice.

For any questions on car cleaning i'd go to the 'detailing' forum on here. A lot of people there know exactly what they're talking about with regards to products, equipment and techniques.

GlasgowRangers said:
Eh?? What do you mean mate? I use the 2 hand method.

Read up on the FAO's on how to wash the car and minimise swirl marks.

In short:

Have 2 buckets, one with your car wash in and one with fresh water in.

Use the 2nd bucket with fresh water to clean the sponge (better to use a lambs wool mitt) before you go back into the bucket with the car wash as this will remove all the grit etc from the sponge/mitt into the fresh water bucket so you're not just applying all the grit back on to the paint work and causing swirl marks - basicly just ensures the soapy water remains clean.

My black car arrived on the back of a trailer with 6 miles on the clock...

It had swirls and other marks that sucked, so I told them to get it sorted.

In the end, the dealer took it back and hand glazed it... and it looked wayyyyy better.... you could see all the multicoloured flecks in the metallic paint.

I wont be missing having a black car for a change.

If you dont want to pay a lot of money to get a pro to do it and dont have the money/skill to buy/use a machine Autoglym Super Resin Polish is about as good as it gets for a hand polish. It might help to mask the swirls to a certain extent which is better than nothing.

I like dodo juice or collinite 476 as a wax myself - I don't rate Autoglym that much, leaves too me residue after use.

Yeah it does leave a bit of dust but its about as good as you can get for a polish by hand.

I personally use Carlack Sealant followed by P21S and will be adding Collinite soon for durability.

Get rid of the sponge! I take about 2 hours to wash the car properly.
I'm getting the car detailed on Tuesday so looking forward to that.

Dont worry my car arrived from the dealer in January complete with swirls all over the car, paint defects on the bumper etc. It now back inagain for the second time to hopefully once and for all get it sorted !
Otherwise its a trip to finer details and the dealer paying for it !

Richard

Dont worry my car arrived from the dealer in January complete with swirls all over the car, paint defects on the bumper etc. It now back inagain for the second time to hopefully once and for all get it sorted !

Richard

rsarjantson said:

Richard

I ordered a Black car which arrived in Jan and rejected it because of swirls and scratches, the dealer tried to sort it out but made it Worse!.
Good thing really as I'm now back looking at the A3 :)

Can't thank everybody enough for all their good advice. I'll start using the 2 bucket method and get some decent polish. There is a place here that detials using Meguire's products so I think I'll give them a try. Thing is I hate to part with the cash as the car is only a month old and it shouldn't really be necessary at this point. Black really is hard work. In saying that, I love to take care of my car and really enjoy spending time on it cleaning etc

Cheers