JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Brilliant Little Engine

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Foo's yer doos Bowfer? Is wang Doric for cock?

Audi boys run the show don't forget.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

2. # ADS
    ADS

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfer
    The 2.0Tdi 140 may produce it's peak torque in a very narrow band, but the fact is it continues to make good torque long after that.
    For example, it is still making 300nm at 3500rpm and 250nm at 4000rpm.
    The fact that the 1.4Tfsi hold onto it's peak torque longer is irrelevant, when it's still less.
    The most it can ever muster is 240nm.
    Less is less is less mate, no matter how much you try and dress it up.

It's like a bloke with a 3 inch wang saying "ah, but I go on longer"
    So what mate, you've still got a small wang..
    Yeh BUT whens the tdi torque come on rev wise as a matter of interest
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

6th Gear

Status
    TFSI, the facts are quite simple.
    In a car of otherwise identical spec, the engine with more power and more torque will always be quicker.
    There's just no other way of seeing it, it's as black and white as that.
    I'm sure the 125bhp/240nm TFSI has an impressive power graph, but it's still 15bhp and a whack of torque behind the 140tdi.
    End of.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

Born to Fish

Status
    In a car of otherwise identical spec, the engine with more power and more torque will always be quicker.
    I'm sure the 125bhp/240nm TFSI has an impressive power graph, but it's still 15bhp and a whack of torque behind the 140tdi.
    End of.
    Funny Just left a work colleague 5 metres behind up to 70 mph in his 07 2.0 TDI passat
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI
    Funny Just left a work colleague 5 metres behind up to 70 mph in his 07 2.0 TDI passat
    Sigh....
    You're not comparing like with like there.
    I bet a Passat weighs a heap more than your car.
    Which will negate the extra 15bhp and torque.
    My point still stands.
    Both engines in an A3, the 140tdi will beat the TFSI.
    '02 to '05 - Black Audi A4 1.9tdi sport
    '05 to '08 - Akoya Silver A3 sportback S-line DSG
    '08 to ? - Black Alpina D3

3rd Gear

Status
    End of.
    Although the 1.4TFSI probably has more torque than the 140 TDI below 2000rpm, so it might be more tractable in normal driving.

If you compare the paper figures for the two cars on Audi's site, they are virtually identical.

When I changed my 140 for the 2.0T, I found it much stronger at low to medium revs, despite having less torque. It was down to the torque being delivered over a much wider range, so you spent less time frantically swapping cogs.

Status
    For Christ sake...
    Stop the pointless willy waving!

There are those who hate diesels and can't accept they may be nicer to drive or real world quicker...

There are those who have acknowledged the benefits of diesels for years (not just fuel economy...but the torque)

And there are those who hated diesels, but despite having petrol in thier veins and after years of saying they'd never own one..tried one, liked it and are now converted. Like me. I NEVER thought I'd buy one..noisy, smelly, slow etc...and the old tired crap...
    But sadly, they are 'better' for what I want.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Low life livin' the high life.

Status
    As we all know there is so so so much more to a car than torque figures and basic statistics. As Ess_three says, cars put power down in very different ways and when you get behind the wheel, in the real world stats mean nothing. A car has to give you the feedback you want and deliver power when you as a driver want it to. Not to mention exhaust note, general image of a car etc.
    Some may find diesel power suits their needs better, others petrol.
    Personally i don't care which you prefer but surely we can agree to disagree that is whatever floats your boat.
    If one was OBVIOUSLY better than the other with no arguments they wouldn't make both petrol and diesel. End of really.
    A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line, 3 Door, Avus Silver (special ed.)

For Sale:

S-Line gear knob, stick and gator.
    Full set of OEM wheel bolts (incl. locking nuts & caps)
    19" BBS CK's Anthracite - SOLD

L60N
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three
    For Christ sake...
    Stop the pointless willy waving!

Born to Fish

Status
    Ah well me and me little engine will just get on with it

Enjoyed keeping tabs on this thread for a few days

Bowfer wouldn't be the same if he didn't have people like me and a few others to wind him up a tadge

Good luck with the BMW when you get it

GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Midget Taxi Drivers

TFSi don't listen to the diesel brigade. Your wee TFSi was the correct choice by a mile. At least you don't sound like a taxi when you pull up at the lights. Wee bit more class.

Have always thought of diesel owners are penny grabbing midget taxi drivers and always will. Told my old boy the same thing and he has a 335d.
    Gone...Brilliant Black 2008 A3 Turbo FSi Sport, Dual Climate Zones, Piano Black Inserts, Rain and Light pack, Xenon Plus, Armrest, ConcertII+, 18" S5 Wheels, 35mm Springs, Parking Sensors and a few other toys

Coming...2010 white BMW e90 320d M Sport, steptronic, 19'' CSL reps, H&R Sport Springs, Dakota Leather, Full+Full

Stalled

Status
    The official 0-60 figure for the 1.4 is 9.6 and the 2.0TDI is 9.5, how this relates to real life driving I wont know as I never owned a diesel car and probably never will.

I bought the 1.4 for a small city runabout car and the mileage it will be doing wont remotely offset the initial cost of going diesel as well as the price of diesel.

I was very happy in the way the small engine performs when test driving it, very responsive along all gears, no sign of struggling and good fuel consumption. Drives just as well as the 1.8T with me and the dealer on board.

6th Gear

Status
    Bit late here but there IS a golf 120 Tsi - lookit up on autotrader, ebay etc - it's the same engine as the audi but they cant make enough, so have stopped taking orders on it for now
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers
    TFSi don't listen to the diesel brigade. Your wee TFSi was the correct choice by a mile. At least you don't sound like a taxi when you pull up at the lights. Wee bit more class.

Have always thought of diesel owners are penny grabbing midget taxi drivers and always will. Told my old boy the same thing and he has a 335d.

Spending 30k+ on a 335d is hardly penny grabbing
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

1st Gear

Status
    And there are those who hated diesels, but despite having petrol in thier veins and after years of saying they'd never own one..tried one, liked it and are now converted. Like me. I NEVER thought I'd buy one..noisy, smelly, slow etc...and the old tired crap...

My circumstances exactly
    A3 2.O TDI 170 S-LINE

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ADEY

My circumstances exactly
    They still sound like a tractor at idle...
    The pumps still smell foul (at least you don't need to go so often)...
    But the way they effortlessly deliver all the torque...
    I'm a fan.
    And I never thought I'd ever say that as a firm fan of high revving NA petrol engines.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers

If somebody offered me a 2.0 TDI brand new tomorrow i would deffo stick with my 1.4 tfsi Its first class

I have worked with truck diesels all my working life from hand building them to training others how to build them and the bloody stuff is horrid when you are messing with injectors and pumps.

Status
    You are not wrong...foul smelling stuff...awful if you get covered in the damn stuff.

Please note:

***** rent boy

Status
    I love the smell of diesel.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by golf
    I love the smell of diesel.

yes but how many girls have ever said to you "oh my darling Im so glad you've been messing with diesel , you smell so sexy, take me to bed and loose me for ever" hopefully none

Up the owls!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes
    take me to bed and loose me for ever
    Top Gun flashback
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

Born to Fish

Status
    Just thought i would resurect this thread a tad

With just over 1k on the clock i finally got around to checking the fuel and my little engine managed an average of 41 mpg that included a flirt to and from the lakes (M6) which accounted for 200 miles and another 150 miles on A and B roads back and too work.

On a steady motorway run it should be capable of 45 ish who knows maybe more It goes very well as well and everyone will not believe its only a 1398 cc under the bonnet. I would say its not far away from 2 litre petrol performance going back a few years

1.4 TFSI the sensible choice THE BRILLIANT LITTLE ENGINE

Neutral

Status
    Delighted to hear that TFSI as expecting mine next week

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    I concur. It really is excellent and so are Rangers

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GlasgowRangers View Post
    I concur. It really is excellent and so are Rangers
    They just beat Celtic didn't they

Stalled

Status
    anyone actually bothered trying to remap one of these 1.4T? Considering the A1 is rumoured to have the same 1.4T engine but with 150bhp, I'd expect a +25hp remap would be quite easily achieved.

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    They just beat Celtic didn't they
    YES THEY DID

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mcc49 View Post
    anyone actually bothered trying to remap one of these 1.4T? Considering the A1 is rumoured to have the same 1.4T engine but with 150bhp, I'd expect a +25hp remap would be quite easily achieved.
    Do you know of any tuning companies who are up to the job? Has anybody had any experience with this?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by consilio View Post
    Top Gun flashback
    But wasn't it take me to bed or lose me forever?

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Status
    Do you know of any tuning companies who are up to the job? Has anybody had any experience with this?
    Not seen anything appear in the press yet but I guess it is only a matter of time before someone does. I suppose it depends how popular the engine becomes.

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

3rd Gear

Status
    I stand corrected (but my wording is better)

Carole: Hey Goose you big stud!
    Goose: That's me, honey.
    Carole: Take me to bed or lose me forever.
    Goose: Show me the way home, honey.

windsurfer

Status
    I am a petrohead but I acknowledge the qualities of a Diesel (economy, etc)

But, the other day was doing a long motorway trip on my S3, just cruising... and thought...it is so smooth and quiet... now this is quality cruising! Could hardly hear the engine... perfect. A diesel should be less relaxing on long long journeys, probably more noiys unless we are on a A6... So until I think it is really worthwile going diesel I stick to petrol and consider my petrol bills just a part of life like being a member of an expensive gym or whatever....

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

GlasgowRangersFC

Status

Abt Springs

Sorry it took me so long. Here are some pictures of my wee TFSi with the new Abt springs. I think it looks just right on the 18"s now. Not too low.

windsurfer

Status
    Looks great! How many mpg you are getting from that? My S3 has been averaging 24mph....

Pedro
    FOR SALE: S3 Phantom Black, left hand drive, Xenons, FBMFSW, bucket seats, BOSE, rear parking sensors, armrest, interior light package, Symphony II+. Full Audi service history and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport 2. 18500 miles PM for details! I want to give it away have a good family reason. For a quick sale around 19.5k PM only if interest is genuine! Thanks

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Normally about 35-40mpg. If I boot it it drops drastically as it has to burn fuel to create torque etc.

windsurfer

Status
    very good... who needs diesel? I can get 30mpg or close if I drive sensibly... but the car was made to enjoy... so heck with it! lolol

Pedro

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    Diesel is ****e

1st Gear

Status
    Diesel is ****e
    No it isn't.

I have a 2.0tdi140. This has more power, more torque and will do considerably more mpg than your "wee TFSI". I'm sure yours is a good engine, but comments like yours above are ill-informed and inflammatory.

Like if I were to say "Rangers are ****e".
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

GlasgowRangersFC

Status
    You can say what you want about Rangers mate it is a free world. Freedom of speech and all that and I think diesels are monkey chuff. My wife drives an Audi diesel and it sounds like a bloody tractor.

However, Rangers tanked Celtic yesterday.

1st Gear

Status
    I think diesels are monkey chuff.
    Oh well if you put it like that, I see what you are saying and now agree with you completely. I can only dream of having the debating skills and wit to match quotes such as the above and "Diesel is ****e". You are clearly a motoring expert, and I bow to your superior knowledge.
    A3 Sportback Sport 2.0 TDI 140 Mauritius Blue, Black/Grey matrix, GSM prep in armrest, MFSW, 17" 16 spoke wheels, Acoustic Parking rear, Cruise, Non-smoking pack, Symphony II+

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast