Chris NottBadger5
    Lets make that kitten purr...

Status

Retro-Fit Flat Tyre Warning Indicator

Can it be done? If so, how much?

Cheers.
    Ron
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Sure can, not tried it myself, but it's on the to-do list
    If you're competent and brave then you can do it yourself
    tyre pressure monitor retrofit
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

6th Gear

Status
    Yup, try this.

The button for the dash is about £7 from vagparts, then you'll need a couple of wires, a plug and some VAG-COM trickery

Status
    Thanks Guys.

3.2 Ju - Am neither competent nor brave but I may just give that a go at somepoint. Just as soon as I've found someone who's is competent and brave!
    2008 A3 1.8T FSI S-line Phantom Black, Bose, iPod Dock, Front Centre Armrest, Storage Pack, Aluminium Pedals, H&R Spacers, Eibach Pro's, Ambient Lighting, Pressed plates with Ingolstadt surrounds.

5th Gear

Status
    lol.......when you find someone then send them to me after!!
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

Full speed ahead

Status
    ...then onto me!
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Agreed lads. Maybe we should all get together and have a go, it just fills that blank plate on my dash, then it'll be complete

Status
    So that's 3 customers already!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    I'll give it a go after my RS4 button as seems a cool thing to have, from what I read its each wheel has sensor on valve, then in the wheel arch a sender etc then I guess link up to can & button on the dash, anything I missed in my quick browsing mode?

Ah quick look on that link shows its the wheel speed/abs version, urrrrmmm some reading to do now.

watch this space I guess.

1st Gear

Status
    Yes, the TPMS basically monitors the rolling diameter of your tyres and if it changes fast it assumes you have a flat tyre.

Easy install, but requires some wiring skills and someone with a vagcom.
    2.0T FSi quattro Sline - Lava Grey
    Bose/Symphony

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That'll hopefully be me then, lol lol, so it uses the existing abs sensors, I could imagine it has some false positives using this way as the valve pressure sensors would be more reliable, but changing tyres/wheels would be a pain in arse huh, lol.

Anyone got the tpms on there a3 that uses either & any comments on the system?

6th Gear

Status
    I have it on mine. Never heard a sound out of it, but then I've not had any reason to. yet....

6th Gear

Status
    I thought the tyre warning system on the 8P A3 was based on the difference in rotational speed of the wheels (as measured by the ABS sensors) and doesn't need any extra hardware.

Look at the option price on a new A3 - that wouldn't pay for the "full house" TPMS system... which is what you guys are discussing.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PetrolDave View Post
    I thought the tyre warning system on the 8P A3 was based on the difference in rotational speed of the wheels (as measured by the ABS sensors) and doesn't need any extra hardware.

Look at the option price on a new A3 - that wouldn't pay for the "full house" TPMS system... which is what you guys are discussing.
    It does indeed Dave. So 45 (cost of factory option) buys you a switch and a few lengths of wire!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah it does Dave on the a3, abs system.

But we are discussing both fella.

5th Gear

Status
    Only the ABS option was available on the A3 though wasnt it? You cant have the full-monty system like you get on the A8 etc.
    A6 3.0 TDI.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Maybe but it would maybe work on a retro no, after all its sensors & button & can, surely install & enable in vag & you're away, just have to look at cost, Kufa might be doing it already in test so I'll email them aswell as they would like that as a mod to sell I'm guessing.

5th Gear

Status
    Its not just wheel sensors though, the A8's have a sensor in each wheel and a reciever in each wheel arch to send back the signal to the control unit. All this wiring and sensors would have to be mounted in the car. This would be a monster retro-fit as it was never available on the A3 from the factory.

A massive amount of work (if its even possible) for not a great deal of gain IMO.

I remember seeing someone on navplus do this to an A8 and IIRC the cost for the parts alone was over 1000 Euro!
    A6 3.0 TDI.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelhobden View Post
    I'll give it a go after my RS4 button as seems a cool thing to have, from what I read its each wheel has sensor on valve, then in the wheel arch a sender etc then I guess link up to can & button on the dash, anything I missed in my quick browsing mode?

Ah quick look on that link shows its the wheel speed/abs version, urrrrmmm some reading to do now.

watch this space I guess.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah think that might have been Craig on his A8 mate.

6th Gear

Status
    Maybe but it would maybe work on a retro no, after all its sensors & button & can
    It's sensors (one per wheel), receivers (one front and one rear), and a control module. Total cost well over 1000 - unless you can find the parts on eBay (but I've never seen them there).

It can't be retrofitted to a B6 A4, even though it's an option on the B7 A4, since the DIS doesn't understand the messages it puts on the CAN bus - so you can't see when you have a deflating tyre.

BTW the TPMS on the A6 & A8 uses a different control module that talks to the MMI system on those cars.

Chance of getting a retrofitted system to fully work on an A3? IMHO less than 1 in 100,000. Go on, prove me wrong - if you've got 1000+ to waste!
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Nothings impossible in this world, everythings a learning curve, you start of saying things cant be done then you've lost already, just time, patients, energy & money if you really want to try, as I can feel when I have a flat tyre I wont need to spend 1k, but the a3 version seems best route for 45 for cables, plug & button, for that cost I'll try it anyway.

More important things to do at moment, like fit my RS4 button, one thing at a time.

But does make you wonder if the DIS can be changed then it might work, like I said nothings impossible.

The mfsw flat bottomed & airbag worked even though I was told it wouldnt, so no harm looking at possibilities huh people.

6th Gear

Status
    Nothings impossible in this world
    ... given unlimited time and money ... and depending on how "modified" you want it to look.

I've been working professionally on car electronics for over 20 years, and learnt that there are some real easy things, some "impossible" things that take 5 minutes and some "impossible" things that really would need a miracle.

6th Gear

Status
    The mfsw flat bottomed & airbag worked even though I was told it wouldnt, so no harm looking at possibilities huh people.
    You won't know that your airbag mod is OK until you have an accident and either the airbag works or you have a long chat with a plastic surgeon while he rebuilds your face....

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If it wont work then no harm done is it, afterall its only time & money & mine at that.

I prefer to learn thanks from my mistakes, rather than stand there shaking my head all day to people saying oh no no no no no no no like the old fella outta the vicar of dibley lol, lol, you dont get anywhere in life without trying things.

Thats how we evolve unless I'm mistaken.

I'm curious about things so I like to satisfy my curiosity win or lose.

6th Gear

Status
    If it wont work then no harm done is it, afterall its only time & money & mine at that.

I'm curious about things so I like to satisfy my curiosity win or lose.
    Learning is all about doing research - not just blindly trying something.

Before spending the money on the sensors you need to solve the question of "how will the information from the sensors be displayed?"

At the moment the only known solution to that is a B7 A4 DIS - which is driven by the cluster. So the question boils down to "will a B7 A4 cluster fit in, and work in, an 8P A3?"

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Which is why I had already stated I would use the A3 version given its only about 45 for parts.

& no learning is not all about doing research, sometimes we learn as we go & also try our luck & alot of times we have learnt through just doing it as many on the forums probably have, maybe you do it your way & I do it both ways, who cares as long as we both acheive what we wanted to at end of day which is where the phrase " we learn from our mistakes" comes from, or dont you ever make a mistake?

Maybe you need to accept that we are all different in our methods of doing things & sometimes it works both ways.

End of story.

Neutral

Status
    bump

i'd be interested in this too, any news???
    A3 cabriolet S-line,phantom black, leather/alcantara, bose,xenons + led drl's, rear park, light + rain pack, interior light pack