Diesel

New Age Driver

Reaction score
A3 1.9TDI

Will it really sound like a noisy tractor?

Anyone else got a diesel? What are they like?

Mate it might sound a bit harsh when cold and on the outside of the vehicle but.... forget that... just remember that with a little chip your "slow" 1.9 TDI can all of a sudden deliver 30hp more.... You will never be able to do that to the 1.6... Also the 1.6 engine sound... is nothing exciting at all... it is just a 4 stroke sound... nothing great... get the diesel mate... you won't regret it...

Better performance, better economy and better resale value that the 1.6...

Pedro

Get the 1.9
It really is miles better than the 1.6, the torque the 1.9 has will pull the A3 with much more ease than the 1.6.

Forget the 1.9, get the 2 litre and get it remapped by RSD, you won`t regret it.:icon_thumright:

My 2.0 TDI was my first diesel and I was worried too - especially after two lovely revvy Alfas - but I'm sold on it now...

I don't notice the noise at all any more. The only time I even think about it is sometimes when I'm outside the car closing the garage door after just starting it from cold....
I averaged 45mpg on a fast trip from Blackpool to Bristol last week where I averaged 73mph over 210 miles, so am saving a third on my fuel prices - but the really best it is running down the motorway at 80mph with the engine doing only 2500 RPM - so lovely and quiet compared to petrol cars doing 4000 rpm at the same speed.

I had a Golf petrol hire car the other week (almost the same car as the A3) and I hated the revvy noise that the engine was making when motorway cruising compared to the TDI.

So, you do notice the sound. I mean, does it sound like a van?

I had a Golf petrol hire car the other week (almost the same car as the A3) and I hated the revvy noise that the engine was making when motorway cruising compared to the TDI.

That sounds good (no pun intended). What I liked about the 1.6 drive was the smoothe gear change and the nice smoothe drive, compared to my Corsa, which, shifting from gear to gear makes a loud rev noise, it's hardly a smoothe driving at all. What's the diesel like in comparison?

diesel is even smoother,very quiet on the motorway,mines 2.0 TDI and ive never regretted buying it,superb economy and i love the way i can hear my turbo sucking lol,as you can see mate know one has said "no get the 1.6" because you'd be a fool to,getting a diesel is the best way to go,i understand the 2.0 TDI is a fair bit more pricey insurance wise,so you get the 1.9 everyone starts some were mate,and thats a good place to start;)

I've just ordered a new 1.9tdi Sportback.

I had the same engine (PD100) in a Skoda Fabia before I got the vRS. I didnt find it too noisy, especially when once on the move.
It remapped to around 140-145bhp and was quite punchy.

Audimad said:
Forget the 1.9, get the 2 litre and get it remapped by RSD, you won`t regret it.:icon_thumright:

The budget of the lad is a bit thight for the 2.0 and insurance wise the 1.9 is also more friendly...

Really, test them both and decide yourself but for your budget and if you want an A3 forget the 1.6 you will regret it later, really...

The 1.9 is fine and smooth.... I drove lots of 1.9 TDI (VW Golf), from 90 to 130hp and they were fine engines...

Pedro

What's the bhp on the 8P 1.9 engines. I think they only come in out output which is 105 right...

yes, only 105... but being turbocharged a little ECU upgrade can make a difference.... big difference!

Pedro

There's tons of info on here about upgrading 140 and 170 diesel engines, but does anybody have experience of ecu upgrades for the 105hp 1.9 in the 8P?

I love it in my yellow sportback (nickname the JCB) and to me it feels quick (I traded up from a KA!), but getting it to the 130hp as it was in golf mkIV sounds like a good idea.

All help most gratefully recieved, thanks.

R

reubs1981 said:
There's tons of info on here about upgrading 140 and 170 diesel engines, but does anybody have experience of ecu upgrades for the 105hp 1.9 in the 8P?

I love it in my yellow sportback (nickname the JCB) and to me it feels quick (I traded up from a KA!), but getting it to the 130hp as it was in golf mkIV sounds like a good idea.

All help most gratefully recieved, thanks.

R

Not in the 8P but I had experience with tuning the same engine in a Skoda Fabia as I posted before.

I tried: Bromleys TUNIT tuning box, then a Superchip and then settled on a Jabbasort custom remap.

The Bromleys was punchy but not very smooth in power delivery, the Superchip hardly made any difference at all and the Jabba map was smooth and powerful and gave 145bhp and 250lbs/ft

When I get my 8P I will be getting a switchable remap that I can turn off, so I am almost certainly going to go for Revo.

GIAC do remaps for the 8P along with several other tuning companies.
"Minefield" is the word IMO lol..

cheers.

my 140 sounds dog rough when cold, not much better when warm

the only time it sounds relatively quiet is for 5-10k miles after a service, all other times its rough rough rough.

However, I'd find it difficult to go back to a petrol, the consumption and sheer number of times I'd have to fill it up every week would be annoying

Simple fact though, if you want a quiet car, don't buy a diesel

bacardi said:
Simple fact though, if you want a quiet car, don't buy a diesel

Yes... get an electric!!!

For Gods sake! The Diesel is a bit noisy compared to petrol but is no big deal... some people here sound like if you buy a Diesel you will be heard 2 miles before you arrive...

I drove lots of diesel before... never got headache or earache, even after long long journeys....

It is a bit noisy, sure... but it is not a tractor or a truck or a bus.... more noise than petrol but nothing that you would be ashamed of!!!

Again... get the diesel mate... really!

Pedro

Lets get this straight - the diesel isn't noisier when driving - at 80mph you're only doing 2500 rpm compared to doing 4000 rpm in a petrol car.

Just try it yourself in any car you have now.

Rev it at 4000 rpm and then at 2500 and compare the difference!

The difference is that at idle, there's a degree of "clatter" because of the higher compression ratio and even through the rev range, the engine has a slightly different sound because of its higher compression ratio.

The reason I love my diesel is because I used to get out of my petrol cars after a long journey with "ringing in my ears" due to being in a car foir hours with th eengine revving at 4000 rpm.

Most of my life in my 2.0 TDI, the engine's doing less than 2000 rpm.

Even forgeting the joy of so much torque and the economy, its sold on me for the quiet hours of cruising it provides....

New Age Driver said:
A3 1.9TDI

Will it really sound like a noisy tractor?

Anyone else got a diesel? What are they like?
Most responses in this thread have been positive, so here's the other side of the coin : Before I bought the 2.0T, I had a 2.0TDI - and hated it ! I only kept the car 3 months, but fortunately my dealer let me do a swap at effectively zero depreciation.

I found the noise and lack of refinement unacceptable. OK, it does quieten down when fully warm and up to speed, but in no way does it even approach my current car in that respect. (But of course, the 1.6 will be revving much higher than any of the turbo engiines, petrol or diesel).

The second issue I had was the throttle response. It was like an on-off switch at 2000rpm, nothing below, then a cliff-face of torque, then it tails off again. I used to find it infuriating to drive.

But you may judge the trade-off between the two cars completely differently, really only you can decide. I think if I was in your position, I would try and stretch to a 1.4T, which would give you both strong torque and good refinement, albeit at group 11 insurance.

alfiejts said:
Lets get this straight - the diesel isn't noisier when driving - at 80mph you're only doing 2500 rpm compared to doing 4000 rpm in a petrol car.

Just try it yourself in any car you have now.

Rev it at 4000 rpm and then at 2500 and compare the difference!

QUOTE]

at 80 the background noise drowns out the noise of both petrol and diesel engines,

At anything below 50, they are noisier, even more so from the outside

As for the noise, how many times do you pass a car on the dual carriagway or motorway and think to yourself, Gawd that diesel is noisey, I've never done it!

My wife has a 1.8 vvti astra and when it's started up it's nearly silent, my tdi can be heard over the top of it but when inside I'd say there is no real noticeable difference.

As for driveablility, yes the diesel will through a huge amount of torque at you quite quickly and the power curve for the petrol will be smoother.

If you know how to drive a diesel properly and don't wallow around at 1200rpmin 5th/6th gear 30mph you'll always be ably to accelerate quickly, it's just a matter of knowing what gear you are in and if need be change gear

I love the torque of the diesel but also the smoothnes of the petrol.

I also like having a 130bhp car that will outperform my mates 140bhp petrol vauxhall astra any day of the week and even more so when on a gradient at 2/3 the cost of fuel, road tax and insurance.

my last car was a vectra 1.9 cdti 150bhp, had it running at 200bhp for very little cost and still got 45mpg. the vectra 2.0T never even had a look in at keeping up on performance, speed, horsepower, torque and the all important value for money and economy..

Horses for courses I'm afraid, if you want a car you can't hear buy a bentley or a Prius

If you want a performance car buy an Mitsubishi Evo

If you want a luxury car a Maybach

if you'd like a bit of averything, THEN YOU'RE WORSE THAN MY MISSUS....LOL

absolutely

I'd certainly miss the torque if I was to change, I now prefer the way diesels drive to petrols

alfiejts said:
Lets get this straight - the diesel isn't noisier when driving - at 80mph you're only doing 2500 rpm compared to doing 4000 rpm in a petrol car. Just try it yourself in any car you have now.

This isn't strictly true, I checked it out tonight! My petrol was doing 70mph in 6th at 2750rpm!

Before you buy either car, drive both back to back to compare. I expect it will come down to choosing between the feeling of the torque on the 1.9tdi or the feeling of driving around town in a much quieter car in the 1.6FSI. There is no right answer, petrol and diesel heads will both have arguements either way, you need to decide what is right for you and what is important to you personally.

I recently had a 2.0TDI 170 sline quattro for a week as a courtesy car - the torque was wonderful but I found the clatter unacceptable.

I agree.. go and test drive only you can tell if the different sound/driveability is a major issue...

I am a petrolhead... but between a 1.6 petrol or a 1.9TDI... I don't think I had any doubts whatsoever... 1.6 is not a popular choice in the A3 at all...

Pedro

Is the 1.4 engine (petrol) not that good then? As this would be the engine size I would consider later in the year.
Is it the same as the 1.4 tsi engines that are in the Golf?

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I have a similar dilemma to New Age Driver, albeit that my purchase won't be till later in the Summer and I would consider an ex demo or New :)

tracieburr said:
Is the 1.4 engine (petrol) not that good then? As this would be the engine size I would consider later in the year.
Is it the same as the 1.4 tsi engines that are in the Golf?

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I have a similar dilemma to New Age Driver, albeit that my purchase won't be till later in the Summer and I would consider an ex demo or New :)
It's still quite a new engine, but the few reviews that have appeared so far have been very positive. A couple of people in this forum have driven one, and reckon it is a gem !

The 1.4 TFSI as fitted to the A3 is different to the 1.4 TSI in the Golf. The TFSI version is turbo only (as opposed to turbo + super charger), and seems to be all the better for it.

A few weeks ago I asked my dealer if I could try a 2.0T to compare with my TDI-170. Now I drove to and from the garage in my 170, drove the 2.0T, mostly on minor roads and through the lanes and I have to say, personally, I found very little difference between the two. The 2.0T was probably a little quicker overall but not by a lot on the type of roads I was using.

Because the 2.0T reved more than the 170 for the same amount of 'go' it didn't seem any quieter either.

I'm a petrol head, but for different reasons (mostly fuel bills) I opted for a TDi this time. I've now had it 7 months and love it.

Before I bought I test drove about 50 different cars from different manufacturers in a range of diesel and petrol and none could match the running costs vs comfort vs performance of the Audi A3.

So until Audi release the S3D I would only ever go back to a petrol car if I was going for a serious performance car. That said, the Seat Leon mk1 Cupra D was pretty damn quick!

Ive gone from a mk5gti golf to an A3 2.0tdi.........its only been two weeks but ive not regretted the 'changeover':thumbsup: (im sure my wallet doesn't either)

I'm getting a transfer in work so will be working 5 miles from home as opposed to the current 25 miles.

I do about 20 days work a month so that 700 miles as opposed to 200 miles per month commute.

I now feel I can afford to run a 2.0T or larger without having to justify fuel costs etc.

I still love my diesel and at 111p a litre as opposed to 105p per litre for petrol I'm kinda stuck what to do.

suppose I'll have to do the maths and see what I come up with

I don't really care how little mileage I do, I'd probably always go diesel.
My missus, for example, only does 6 miles a day, yet we went diesel for her.
Firstly, the type of power the diesel puts out suits her better.
A small turbo diesel needs far less revving than a small petrol unit.
Secondly, I simply would not want to go back to the fuel range of a petrol motor.
Having to fill up every 200-300 miles would do my head in.
My missus now gets panicky when her fuel display shows 150 miles to empty.
I remind her that was about all her petrol Honda used to, when full!
I did a Manchester trip in a petrol motor, just 3 weeks ago.
It was such a pain in the ****.
Fuel became an issue for the first time in years.
I usually just take it for granted I'll make it without refuelling, no problem.

I agree about the mileage between fill-ups. I take my car on holiday to Europe every year and it's great being able to do 500-600 miles without have to stop for fuel. Also in Europe Diesel is so much cheaper than in the UK and much less than petrol as well. Certainly makes my holiday cheaper!

I've had 19 petrol cars in the past and this is my second A3 diesel and I don't think I'll be going back to petrol.

"Will it really sound like a noisy tractor?"

hey don't knock tractors they are getting very smooth engines fitted nowadays