How Old Were You When You Bought Your First A3?

How Old Were You When You Bought Your First A3

• Total voters

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
As a follow up to Matt's Poll on the age of A3 owners, I thought a poll to see how old we were when we bought our first A3 would be a little more appropriate.

I've broken down the age ranges into fives since some of us were a little unhappy with the tens Matt used!

Include details on what it was, new or used, and how many A3s you've owned since.

I've only bought one and it was in ordered in 2004 collected 2005. A3 2.0Tdi S-line with DSG in black. Oh and I was 32 when I collected it.

J.

Not only my 1st A3 but 1st Audi too - and I'm (a young) 36!

marriedblonde said:
LOL...define young :)

Well I go by the rule "you're as old as the woman you feel" so that knocks of 7 years!

bought myself my new s3 at 22 :icon_thumright:

27 when I got my current A3. I owned a B6 A4 previous to that, and before that drove my folks A4's so I'm Audi born and breed.. sort of!

51 for my first A3, but 38 for my first Audi (an Audi 80 Sport)

Ah the old 80 sport was a cool car! What colour Davd? I guy I used to work with had one in red and I always used to pester him to sell it to me!

Ah the old 80 sport was a cool car! What colour Davd? I guy I used to work with had one in red and I always used to pester him to sell it to me!
It was Silver and a loverly car.

Unfortuately, as the next to pictures show, I was waiting at a set of traffic lights on my way to visit the VW factory in Wolfsburg when a young 'lady' in a Fiesta decided not to stop and crashed into the back of the 80 Sport at about 40mph. The car was a write-off and we had to leave it in Germany and fly home.

just turned 20 insurance is a little high due to points :sorry:

h5djr said:
It was Silver and a loverly car.

[URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/B785JVA/B785JVA-01.jpg"][/URL]

Unfortuately, as the next to pictures show, I was waiting at a set of traffic lights on my way to visit the VW factory in Wolfsburg when a young 'lady' in a Fiesta decided not to stop and crashed into the back of the 80 Sport at about 40mph. The car was a write-off and we had to leave it in Germany and fly home.

[URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/B785JVA/B785JVA-accident-05.jpg"][/URL]

[URL="http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/B785JVA/B785JVA-accident-06.jpg"][/URL]
looks like you were pushed into the car in front too.

what did you replace it with? were there any problems with the insurance claim given that you'd have been claiming from a non-UK insurer?

I've just realised these photos would have been from the days before digital cameras!

by the way, how many VAG cars can we count in those photos!

I think I was 21 when I bought my first A3. Now currently own 2nd A3.

looks like you were pushed into the car in front too.

what did you replace it with? were there any problems with the insurance claim given that you'd have been claiming from a non-UK insurer?

I've just realised these photos would have been from the days before digital cameras!

Yes my car was pushed in to the rear of a Golf, hence the smashed lights. Not too much damage to the Golf though. The police attended the accident as it was quite a busy junction. They gave an on-the-spot fine to the lady driving the Fiesta and gave me a form which indicated that I was in no way to blame. The also called out a recovery garage from Wolfsburg. When we got to the garage they were wonderful. They arranged for an insurance assessor to came out that afternoon and have a look, they arranged and took me to see a English speaking lawyer in the town and also lent me a 3-series BMW to finish off the last few days of our holiday. They said just bring the car back to us and we will take you to Hanover airport to fly home. The lawyer took the details and handled it all for us. When we got home I went to see my dealer and I ordered a new shape Audi 80 1.8E. In the mean time the sold me a second hand 80 Sport in white to keep me going until the new one arrived and agreed to buy it back from me at the same price they sold it to me.

The lawyers in Germany settled directly with the Fiesta's insurance company and send me a nice check, probably more than I would have got from my own insurers.

h5djr said:
Yes my car was pushed in to the rear of a Golf, hence the smashed lights. Not too much damage to the Golf though. The police attended the accident as it was quite a busy junction. They gave an on-the-spot fine to the lady driving the Fiesta and gave me a form which indicated that I was in no way to blame. The also called out a recovery garage from Wolfsburg. When we got to the garage they were wonderful. They arranged for an insurance assessor to came out that afternoon and have a look, they arranged and took me to see a English speaking lawyer in the town and also lent me a 3-series BMW to finish off the last few days of our holiday. They said just bring the car back to us and we will take you to Hanover airport to fly home. The lawyer took the details and handled it all for us. When we got home I went to see my dealer and I ordered a new shape Audi 80 1.8E. In the mean time the sold me a second hand 80 Sport in white to keep me going until the new one arrived and agreed to buy it back from me at the same price they sold it to me.

The lawyers in Germany settled directly with the Fiesta's insurance company and send me a nice check, probably more than I would have got from my own insurers.
Sounds like it was well worth going on the trip then!

Is that why you go back every year?

Sounds like it was well worth going on the trip then!

Is that why you go back every year?

Funnily enough I never did get to the VW plant in Wolfsburg and I have not made even now. I visited the Audi plant in Ingolstadt about 3 times and the one at Neckarslum once but never got to Wolfsburg.

Perhaps one day as I still go to Germany and/or Austria and Switzerland every year by car. This years it's the Mosel Valley in Germany for one week and then on to the Davos/Klosters area of Switzerland. Always great driving both on the autobahns and other roads in Germany and in the mountains.

I was 21 when I bought my A3. I was a late starter to driving and it was my first car (to learn in) - I figured that while I was going to be hit on insurance I was only wasting my money anyway so I might as well drive something I would enjoy rather than a banger for the sake of economy.

It got me through my test and lasted a couple of years then met a sticky end on the M6. I replaced it with an A4 TDI then for the sake of practicality and though they've been the only two cars I've owned, I've had plenty of experience driving other things and all I can say is I'm glad I started by spending my own money on decent german motors :)

Regards,

Rob.

I bought my first S3 (8L 210) when I was 24, second S3 (8L 225) when I was 25. I have moved to the dark side now....but I might be back soon for a black 8P!

MarcQuinlivan said:

Yeah Germans tend to look after their own and buy German, you dont see many French, Swedish or Japanese cars on the road...

I was 45! Decided that getting shut of the mortgage and sorting the kids out with cars and jobs was a much higher priority than buying an Audi so made do with VX Astras until all that was done. I then stepped into an Audi showroom and bought a brand spanker.
Now on my 3rd and luv em to bits