3.2 flat spot @ 2000rpm?

grebowski

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that my car has developed a flat spot in the rev range around 2000rpm its gone into audi today for its first MOT and I've asked them to investigate, anyone else had this problem?

I had this problem buddy... I found it to be a plunger that had fallen\come off the inlet manifold, if you lift up your bonnet and look down at the front right side of the plastic manifold kind of between the airbox intake and the manifold you will see a unit with a plunger that just clips onto a ball\socket joint on the side to opperate the valve inside the manifold, might be worth a look?:icon_thumright:

Hi,

Yep mine had the same. I would decribe it as like a step in power.

Went in 2 times for it, the first the replaced some wiring to the air mass sensor, that helped but didnt fully solve it.

Second tinme they said they put a new map on it and that solved it and ist been fine for a month since :)

That’s exactly it, a step in power, I’ll have a chat with the service manager when I go to collect it later
Cheers for the quick replies lads , I knew I wasn’t the only owner with this problem.

Would be good to hear of solutions to this - I too have exactly the same issue (on both 3.2's I have owned). Feels like you have just whacked the accelerator at about 2,200 or so, and makes you look like a learner.

It's going in for creaky front suspension soon so would be great to also go armed with suggestions and other experiences of this before my warranty runs out.

Cheers

Further question - mine is a manual. Also driven a DSG 3.2 for a few thousand miles and don't remember having the same problem.

Mines a manual also. 05plt if that matters.

Mine is now got a lovely smooth band of power from 900r.p.m to red if u wanted :)

Hi,

Yep mine had the same. I would decribe it as like a step in power.

Went in 2 times for it, the first the replaced some wiring to the air mass sensor, that helped but didnt fully solve it.

Second tinme they said they put a new map on it and that solved it and ist been fine for a month since :)

Edition - is your still ok after a few months now? Mine is booked in next week and I mentioned the revised map per your post. The dealer is waiting to hear back from Audi UK on a solution. Would be great if you could let me know the dealer that fixed yours or find out exactly what they did in case they dispute the problem next week. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there,

Yes seem good still.

From what i got told they put more current software map on it. Before doing this they did find what they thought was a poor earth near air mass meter but this didn't cure it.

I have found mine does run slightly smoother when pulling from low revs on better fuel i.e super or v-power (those premium types) and im sure its not just in my head.

Great - thanks for this. They are being quite helpful and pro-active so far, so I will see what happens next week.

I had an update to the engine ecu in feb part no for cd is 820 906 961 B.

Cheers for this. Can I just double check that this was for the same flat spot / hesitation / surge issue on the 3.2?

It's in tomorrow for a couple of days so I hope they have the answer.

This seems exactly like what mine has got. What was the final outcome, software remap or something else?

No problem with mine. 37k miles, 2004.DSG , Interested to see the cure because i expect mine will go down sooner or later..

Luckily no issues with mine. I wonder if it is related to changes in the factory maps across build dates.