Which Octane

GlasgowRangers

Reaction score
I know this has been done before but I need clarification. The manual says that we should use fuel with an octance of between 95-98.

What about this Shell V Power 100 Octance gear? If I start putting that into my car will I see any differences in performance and more importantly will it have any adverse effects on the engine?

What do you all use? Help me out here.

I see you're in Turkey but over here V-Power is 99 RON. Yes use it, your car will be happier. I could be wrong but I don't think you'll see gains over the 98 that VAG recommend though.

I've always used standard 95 octane in mine, with no problems.

I have tried a few tankfuls of premium 98 octane, but I was never able to tell even the slightest difference. Performance, economy and refinement were exactly the same.

My 3.2 runs perfectly happily on 95 (normally Shell or BP). However, there is a noticeable improvement in urgency when I use V Power, and even the odd tank of Tesco 99. I doubt it is any quicker in real terms but the lag between pressing the accelerator and getting a response from the car seems to be much less with the premium stuff. Fuel consumption is just the same though. My choice usually depends on what I expect the next tankful of journeys to be - if it going to be with family and trudging up and down the M1, then 95. A long weekend of A roads on my own, then premium all the way.

my last 2 cars have only ever seen 98+ ron fuel

My logic is just that VAG designed this engine to run at it's best on 98 RON.

I suppose the fact that I don't pay for my fuel helps too :)